LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 21 2018

MohMokdad2

New Gaming Lounge

I am a long time lurker, but now I feel that I need all help that I can from my fellow geeks!

I am planning on opening a new gaming lounge in the South, it is not the most dense area but I think since there isn't any gaming lounges there so competition will be null and I can introduce the people there to online gaming and popular games such as PUBG, Dota2, Lol, fortnite and so on...

The place is huge (3 front stores with a big attic ) and it is rent free since it belongs to my family.

I have called several internet providers such as IDM, Sodetel and terranet and found that terranet has the best affordable microwave internet, they quoted me for approximately if I remember $450 for 6mbps without TVA and $250 for installation and promised me with a ping of 60ms and no packet loss.
I will be also adding another internet link from a local provider or adsl whichever is better just in case the microwave connection went down.

I emailed pcandparts and asked for a quote for the gaming pcs and they provided with the following config:

1X Aerocool Aero-300 Black FAW edition Mid Tower Case w/ Full Window
1X Aerocool VX-650 650W 230V APFC 80Plus White 82% Efficiency PSU – Valued PSU for System Builders
1X Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.8 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) BX80684I58400 Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
1X MSI H310M Pro-VH (DDR4) USB 3.1 (LGA1151) – Compatible with Intel Coffeelake 8th generation CPUs only
1X Western Digital 1TB WD10EZEX 7200RPM SATAIII 64MB 3.5″ HDD for Desktop
1X Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400 (PC4-19200) for desktop KVR24N17S8/8
1X Zotac ZT-P10700G-10M GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB GDDR5 Super Compact PCIe GPU

I am thinking of ordering 30 units.

This offer is for $931 without TVA, in addition to the following peripherals:

Kingston HX-KB4RD1-US/R2 Alloy FPS Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard ( Cherry MX Red Switches) for $83.00
Kingston HyperX KHX-HSCP-GM / KHX-HSCP-RD Cloud II Gaming Headset for PC & PS4 ( available in both RD and GM colors ) for $81.00
Kingston HXK-DM01 HyperX Pulsefire FPS Gaming Mouse & HyperX FURY S Medium Mouse Pad Bundle for $49.00

For $203 without TVA.

The thing that I am concerned about t is the quantity of the computers, do I start with 30 computers with these specs of replace the GPU with a GTX 1060 since I think the 1070 is a bit overkill. I am also torn between choosing a 1080p 144Hz monitor which costs $330 ( BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 inch 144Hz eSports Gaming Monitor) and a normal 1080p 60Hz monitor that is sub $200.

I also need advice concerning the PSU for the computer if it a good quality or should I upgrade for a corsair PSU, same thing for the HDD is it suitable for gaming or should I choose a 240GB SSD but be limited with storage.

Expanding later on is in my plans but now I want to start as little as possible just in case I don't succeed. I will also install some PS4's and widescreen LCD's.

Is a 6mbps connection enough for 30 computers? Since I will be installing a steam cache server so downloads aren't a big problem in addition I want to run smart launch server as well.

Any tips and advices will be appreciated. If I would be able to open this lounge you are welcomed to come and try the experience for free of course.

#2 June 21 2018

Johnaudi

Re: New Gaming Lounge

There has been an oversaturation of gaming lounges in Lebanon. If there is none in your region, then I'd say go for it.
I would advise the Diskless system though.

#3 June 21 2018

MohMokdad2

Yes thats what I was thinking since this is a big advantage for us. But I am still not sure if the communtiy would like this lounge over the traditional cs 1.0 and warcraft network cafes which have become obsolete.

I am not a gamer myself thats why I'm hesitant because I don't really know how much people will appreciate the work that is being done and the quality pc's I'm offering.

As for the diskless system I thought about it and read a previous thread posted here but the idea of a centralized system that can get down easily in case of an outage or correction still scares me. In addition to the server equipment and the extensive knowledge that must be available in order to install this system, also I don't think that a 10Gb Lan connection is enough for 30 computers without taking into consideration future upgrades.

#4 June 21 2018

Aly

I can give some remarks:
1- dont go for the mini version GPUs, since your computers will be used for gaming lounge, and customers will be gaming all the time, it will be better to get a non mini model with a decent cooler.
2- for 30 computers 6 mbps is not enough i guess, you can try it as a startup and upgrade later on if needed.
3- You should consider other offers from other retailers in Lebanon, not only pcandparts,i can tell you for example my brother bought the Hyperx Alloy FPS pro (cherry mx red) for 80$ (vat included) from Ayoub Computers in Dahye a couple of weeks ago, while in your offer it costs 83$ + vat, my brother bought only one but you are buying 30 pieces !! You should definitely get a better deal.

#5 June 21 2018

MohMokdad2

Well I went straight for pcandparts since they have a great customer service and are know for retail, I compared their prices to mactronics and mojitech and found that they are a lot cheaper, I will contact Ayoub Computers but I don't think they have the same customer service and after-sale support in addition to the 1 year warranty.

Do you have an idea how much does each pc consume in bandwidth(speed) when gaming online?

#6 June 21 2018

Doom

Gtx 1060s should suffice in my opinion.

#7 June 25 2018

duke-of-bytes

- start with 20 machines
- GTX 1060 are enough ( GTX 1070 for futurproofing ?! )
- 6 Mbps is not enough ( might be enough for small games though ) .. look for wan bonding or simply increase your bandwidth (10 Mbps is enough ) but of course you can have a soft opening for your lounge and test your usage and consumption (fortnite per example uses around 60-100 MB/hour ..so do you math
- there are better prices out there ( pcandparts are becoming more and more expensive every year )
- good chairs and desks are very important
- dont go for gears with "gaming" or "extreme" in them .. they are overpriced
- ssd will only offer considerable advantage during loading .. but ssd prices are dropping so it up to your budget

#8 June 26 2018

makhoder

6mbps is enough for 30pcs considering today people are playing more pubg and fortnite. It is enough if you have a secondary connection just for your browser content.

#9 June 26 2018

duke-of-bytes

makhoder wrote:

6mbps is enough for 30pcs considering today people are playing more pubg and fortnite. It is enough if you have a secondary connection just for your browser content.

This is what i said.. You are right

#10 June 26 2018

Johnaudi

6M is definitely not enough for 30 PCs, we had 10Mbps for 30PCs and it does cause slight download spike issues from time to time, so we upgraded to 12M just to be safe.

#11 June 26 2018

makhoder

Johnaudi wrote:

6M is definitely not enough for 30 PCs, we had 10Mbps for 30PCs and it does cause slight download spike issues from time to time, so we upgraded to 12M just to be safe.

As I said 6Mbps for gaming is more than enough. I did a configuration for a lounge that has 6Mbps for 30 Pcs and it is working perfectly. (As long as you got a second connection)

#12 June 26 2018

xterm

Johnaudi wrote:

Seems like a traffic shaping issue.

#13 June 26 2018

Johnaudi

Most likely, but we have smart switches and the ISP doesn't allow us to control traffic flow...

#14 July 1 2018

MohMokdad2

Thanks all for the helpful advices they helped a lot in our research but unfortunately the project was put on hold for now. The location we're going to open in doesn't seem like the greatest place, I may be wrong, but thats what my partner thinks. I'll keep you updated if anything happens.

Board footer