LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 7 2018

Azachariou

ISP/Router statistics discrepancies

Hello Everybody,

I'm currently subscribed to Ogero's VDSL and getting a 20D/3U connection.
Seeing that internet speeds are on the rise, it is only natural for consumption to rise proportionally. Keeping in mind the shady habits of ISPs in Lebanon I started monitoring my consumption both locally and on my ISP's side.

I'm checking two things every 24h:
- Upload / Download Totals on Ogero's website
- Router: Traffic Statistics Total bytes per IP

I know that the total bytes number will not accurately represent my D/U consumption as it also includes internal traffic.
What I have noticed so far is that there are uploads that are unaccounted for. So far the consumption on the the ISP's side has consistently been higher than the reports on the router, sometimes by many GBs.

Has anybody noticed anything similar in their consumption?
Do you have a methodology to propose that would yield more accurate results (w/o reflashing my router's firmware)?

Once I have more data I'll share it but these are my results so far.
This unfortunately reminded of what cyberia used to do with 1gb being used minutes after I recharge my account (on a 2mb connection.. yeah right..)

#2 June 7 2018

nuclearcat

Re: ISP/Router statistics discrepancies

How much is the difference?
One of reasons might be that you have bursts that are higher than your 20Mbits(for example heavy torrents, streaming, or download managers can cause that), even traffic dropped before your DSL line, still ISP pay for it, and sure will bill you as well as software on your side requested it.
Also make sure your modem is on UPS and have high uptime(more than this 24h) and not disconnecting.
Try to remove almost all load and just do over the day one large download over browser, single stream, and then check how precise will be result at ogero website.

#3 June 7 2018

Azachariou

largest difference so far has been 2.3 gb. But why would they charge the dropped traffic to my upload specifically?
Anyway there are a lot of variables that I need to single out and will be doing precision tests on both download and upload as suggested.

Router is always on ups and only down time is once or twice a month.

#4 June 7 2018

nuclearcat

Upload definitely should not be. Only one reason, possibly, that router doesn't count some transport headers and you have a lot of small packets. Did you had a chance to record amount of bytes and packets to calculate average packet size? And how much was difference in percentage?

#5 June 7 2018

Azachariou

Router is the TPlink VR900, I'm gonna reset my router statistics at 00:30 so I'll be able to give that info then

Board footer