LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 2 2018

dio

Issue with Disconnects

Ok guys, I've been trying to solve this issue for the past 2 months, and after countless calls with Ogero, i've hit a dead end.

Background:
- I live in Hamra.
- TP-Link VR400
- DSL

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Here is the issue. Up until 3 months ago my connection at home has been perfect, ~14 mb/s with no issues whatsoever. One night I came home, there was no internet. After a reboot or two with no luck, I decided to see of the DSL modulation type would help, I switched from AutoSync to ADSL2, which actually fixed the situation temporarily.

The next day I monitored the errors and SNR for a while and I noticed im racking up around 100-300 errors per hour. After work, I get home, at the end of the day I have about 100,000 errors on my router with X amount of disconnects throughout the day.

I spoke to Ogero, they told me I need to change my phone line, and not inside the building. So i took their advice, paid an electrician ~$100 to replace the phone line from my box, outside the building, directly to my router. It seemed like it worked for a day or two, but still no dice.

To add more issues, whenever the power cuts 3 hours a day, my speed increases from ~8mb/s to 14 mb/s, just for those 3 hours in the day.

I called them and told them the issue, their solution was "put a dsl filter", Like really? that's your damn solution. There alreayd is a filter on the line.

I tried troubleshooting, I turned off all the power in the house, hooked up my router to a UPS, and the issue remained. I tried switching routers, was still happening.

Does anyone have ANY idea what could possibly be happening?

#2 May 2 2018

xazbrat

Re: Issue with Disconnects

If you have checked everything inside your apartment, now check if it is in the building or outside.   The best way to do this is if the building has a generator---have it turned on and see if you get errors.  If no errors when it is turned on, check the major stuff like elevator (in my case and some others here), lighting (someone on here had an issue with a CFL lamp) or other things.  If otoh no errors, then the problem is outside the building or possibly the electric meters or something like that.  Ask around and see if there was any work done around the period you started getting your disconnection.

If the problem is outside the building, then I don't know what you can do.  In any case, gl.

#3 May 2 2018

DG

What a coincidence. What I will say might not help you solve your problem but it might help by making you realize you are not alone in this.

After Ogero installed an active cabinet about 2.5 km from my house (around 2 years ago) I enjoyed a very nice connection with very good stats and little to no errors at all.
About a week ago, I was checking my modem stats and I was shocked to find thousands of CRC and HEC errors with many loss of framing and loss of signal errors as well.

I contacted Ogero and.... surprise... they said the same thing "Dear Sir, after our technical team checked your line, we concluded you have a lot of noise beyond our box".
I assume "beyond the box" means between the Ogero box in my building ground floor and my modem at home. So I immediately replied to them saying I already have a Cat5e cable running from that box to my modem at home... so the problem is NOT "beyond their box" as they are saying.
When I replied, they stopped replying. It seems to be a thing to just throw back the blame at the customer. Good luck getting them to investigate deeper into this.

#4 May 3 2018

Xsever

DG wrote:

When I replied, they stopped replying. It seems to be a thing to just throw back the blame at the customer. Good luck getting them to investigate deeper into this.

Go on Twitter and tweet to the Director General, Imad Kreidieh, about your problem and he will have them take care of you until you see this resolved.

#5 May 3 2018

Mayyad

DG wrote:

What a coincidence. What I will say might not help you solve your problem but it might help by making you realize you are not alone in this.

After Ogero installed an active cabinet about 2.5 km from my house (around 2 years ago) I enjoyed a very nice connection with very good stats and little to no errors at all.
About a week ago, I was checking my modem stats and I was shocked to find thousands of CRC and HEC errors with many loss of framing and loss of signal errors as well.

I contacted Ogero and.... surprise... they said the same thing "Dear Sir, after our technical team checked your line, we concluded you have a lot of noise beyond our box".
I assume "beyond the box" means between the Ogero box in my building ground floor and my modem at home. So I immediately replied to them saying I already have a Cat5e cable running from that box to my modem at home... so the problem is NOT "beyond their box" as they are saying.

Hi
You mentioned that you are using cat5e, what is the wire configuration? Are you using all the pairs in it or just one pair?

#6 May 3 2018

dio

They keep asking me the same damn thing "What is your landline number?", I have to explain to them a million times the same issue. I guess ill tweet Mr. Kreidieh.

Thing is, there has been construction near my house for the past few months and if that is what's causing it, I dont think there's a solution.

#7 May 3 2018

DG

Xsever wrote:
DG wrote:

Go on Twitter and tweet to the Director General, Imad Kreidieh, about your problem and he will have them take care of you until you see this resolved.

Already did this and he forwarded it to @OgeroTelecom who insist the noise on my line is "beyond their box" although I clearly explained I have a Cat5e cable beyond their box and my connection was fine for many years with this same setup that hasn't changed at all.

Mayyad wrote:

Hi
You mentioned that you are using cat5e, what is the wire configuration? Are you using all the pairs in it or just one pair?

I'm using two pairs. One for my connection and another one for my brother's connection.

Last edited by DG (May 3 2018)

#8 May 3 2018

duke-of-bytes

DG wrote:
Xsever wrote:
DG wrote:

Already did this and he forwarded it to @OgeroTelecom who insist the noise on my line is "beyond their box" although I clearly explained I have a Cat5e cable beyond their box and my connection was fine for many years with this same setup that hasn't changed at all.

Mayyad wrote:

Hi

I'm using two pairs. One for my connection and another one for my brother's connection.

having a cat5e cable from the main Ogero box does not mean you can't/don't have noise
1- the cable should be shielded
2- the shielded cable should be properly grounded ( from both sides )
3- you will still have noise if the cables are tightly packed with other electrical cables

#9 May 3 2018

hkbazzi

Guys I am having a problem like this as well. I connected my modem directly from the telephone box straight to it, i took my ups with me to make sure that im 100% its not from my building. My Downstream SNR plummets and then the connection drops when it syncs at a higher speed.

#10 May 4 2018

dio

Assuming the cabinet near your building is fine, there is probably electrical interference on your block. Something is causing it to drop, a power line, a new generator, could be anything really.

#11 May 5 2018

dio

The power just cut, and the router reset, here are the numbers....I left it to connect for about 10 minutes. It never did. Had to switch to ADSL2 for it to work.

It also managed to rack up 12,000 errors in the span of 10 minutes.

stats

Last edited by dio (May 5 2018)

#12 May 5 2018

DG

SNR downstream = -8.1 dB ? And your max downstream rate is 1/4 of your current rate ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but anything less than 6 dB for the SNR and the modem won't even be able to sync with the CO.

#13 May 6 2018

dio

DG wrote:

SNR downstream = -8.1 dB ? And your max downstream rate is 1/4 of your current rate ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but anything less than 6 dB for the SNR and the modem won't even be able to sync with the CO.

Well yeah. This is the issue. I know it's not coming from me, or my apartment or my phone line. Been trying to find out where the problem causing this is.

Last edited by dio (May 6 2018)

#14 May 8 2018

Hackour

dio wrote:

The power just cut, and the router reset, here are the numbers....I left it to connect for about 10 minutes. It never did. Had to switch to ADSL2 for it to work.

https://i.imgur.com/WweM3wQ.jpg

Do you Have UPS for your modem?

#15 May 8 2018

dio

Hackour wrote:
dio wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/WweM3wQ.jpg

Do you Have UPS for your modem?

I've tried putting the modem on the UPS, but it still racks up the same amount of errors and still disconnects. The picture attached is just a sample of what happens with the noise.

I spoke to a high-level Ogero engineer, he said its definitely noise somewhere around your building, and they're going to send a team to investigate the issue.

#16 May 31 2018

Mayyad

Hi Guys,
I came home yesterday and found that the dsl is diconnected but the phone line is working good.
Theoretically the router and splitter are brand new (vr900 using adsl2+ not vdsl)
Before i start diagnosing the problem, could it be from ogero side?
Thank you.

#17 May 31 2018

AVOlio

Mayyad wrote:

Hi Guys,
I came home yesterday and found that the dsl is diconnected but the phone line is working good.
Theoretically the router and splitter are brand new (vr900 using adsl2+ not vdsl)
Before i start diagnosing the problem, could it be from ogero side?
Thank you.

Yes.
Make a ticket from the app.

Board footer