LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5501 May 4 2018

LifeEngineer

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

rolf wrote:

Is there any way of getting 3G-like latency on a DSL connection?
It seems that mobile broadband has better performance for small packets (ssh, loading pages...) but IDK it's expensive for watching movies.

Not sure what you mean.
I play BF1 with a friend on PS4. He plays on DSL while I play on 4g+ hotspot from phone (coz cable and 1mbps wifi at home). I have a ping of anywhere between 100 and 120ms while he has a ping of anywhere between 80 and 100.
He's on 16mbps though and as much as we like to think that ping/latency is unrelated to speed, it is related.

#5502 May 4 2018

chosen2k

So about this Ogero deployment map
https://www.ogero.gov.lb/deployment

I understood that the total span of the phases is 36 months.

In the map we see the first centrales to get the updates but when will this phase finish?

What are the centrales covered in the rest of the phases?

In other words is there a complete timeline for the project?

Also Ogero is responsible to get the fiber to the building but it's the responsibility of the "lejnit el bineye"/client to get the fiber to each home.
So do we need a new cable? does this cable replace the phone line or do we need 2 cables? One copper and one fiber?

Last edited by chosen2k (May 4 2018)

#5503 May 4 2018

Draguen

as a side note, even though i live in ashrafieh, i don't understand why the FTTX implementation started in regions that are already well covered (i'm talking qualitative here).

i have a 12 Mb connection, while some of my friends in very well populated areas (such as Fanar or Tahouita) can barely reach 1Mb.

#5504 May 4 2018

rolf

LifeEngineer wrote:
rolf wrote:

Is there any way of getting 3G-like latency on a DSL connection?
It seems that mobile broadband has better performance for small packets (ssh, loading pages...) but IDK it's expensive for watching movies.

Not sure what you mean.

I have a (relatively) horrible experience with browsing and SSH on DSL. Both my cousins mentioned that mobile broadband (3G, 4G, etc) are good. I tried 3G here and in the mountains, and in both cases SSH was very good, low latency 90% of the time, and of pages load faster, video need no buffering, however sometimes big downloads can be better on DSL.

I don't know if someone is over-using our connection(s), or what it is. I'm just tired of this junk.

My laptop has a place for a SIM card, so tomorrow I'm planning to go to alfa and get a "mobile broadband" card for $17, then I can get a good plan on my main number and use  "u-share" to share data allowance with this secondary SIM which I will put on my laptop, so I can have a better connection. I need to work, can't have the connection randomly drop-out. And I would be able to have a connection anywhere, no need even to tether my phone, which is pretty cool.

However I'm not sure whether it's not a bit of a waste of money because "u-share" costs $2/month so the $17 will last me 8 months but I'm not sure that I will be in Lebanon for 8 months, not even 2 months actually! I guess maybe I can freeze the line if I leave, or sell it to someone else.

#5505 May 6 2018

Toufic

Hey,

I'm in beirut, hamra
Probably the day where beirut/hamra is the emptiest given everyone is either on leave from work or in their villages

Why the hell is the internet this slow ? But i mean ridiculously slow !

#5506 May 6 2018

rolf

Internet seems slow today, I'm guessing more than usual activity, maybe people following the news, or maybe something else.

#5507 May 6 2018

RandomMemory

Internet is 256kbps today. Probably because of elections.
Back to normal.

Last edited by RandomMemory (May 6 2018)

#5508 May 10 2018

new_user

Does anyone know why www.livescore.com is banned in Lebanon? It was banned a long time ago on sodetel and recently on Ogero. Not sure about other ISPs. The app also stopped working recently on lte.
Visiting the site gives this message: "لقد حجب هذا الموقع بناء لأمر القضاء اللبناني"

#5509 May 10 2018

Aly

new_user wrote:

Does anyone know why www.livescore.com is banned in Lebanon? It was banned a long time ago on sodetel and recently on Ogero. Not sure about other ISPs. The app also stopped working recently on lte.
Visiting the site gives this message: "لقد حجب هذا الموقع بناء لأمر القضاء اللبناني"

Because it is related to online gambling, you can easily bypass this ban though.

#5510 May 10 2018

new_user

Aly wrote:

Because it is related to online gambling, you can easily bypass this ban though.

Through proxy? Or is there a more convenient method?

#5511 May 10 2018

xazbrat

new_user wrote:

I can see the site on ogero right now--no proxies (am using cloudflare dns which is only thing different).

#5512 May 12 2018

new_user

xazbrat wrote:
new_user wrote:

I can see the site on ogero right now--no proxies (am using cloudflare dns which is only thing different).

Nice tip. Changing the dns worked on Ogero. I tried cloudflare and google and they both worked. Maybe any dns other than the default works. Changing the dns did not work on Sodetel however.

#5513 May 12 2018

NuclearVision

Works on touch LTE, stock dns

#5514 May 12 2018

xazbrat

NuclearVision wrote:

Works on touch LTE, stock dns

but not on alfa :/

#5515 May 20 2018

rolf

Did anyone experience being offline yesterday night (10-ish), in the North-East of Beirut?
Sodetel and Ogero were both offline for at least one hour, I found that odd.
Maybe some work being done on the phone lines or such.

#5516 May 20 2018

Aly

I have ogero here in Beirut area, and i was watching a live stream last night, didnt have any disconnections whatsoever, so probably it was within your area only.

#5517 May 20 2018

semaan

Can anyone know where can i find a shielded phone cable or shielded network cable?

#5518 May 20 2018

rolf

Thanks and I guess I should have posted this in the "Internet in Lebanon" thread.

#5519 May 21 2018

semaan

It was about 4 or 5 days the internet is very bad. Maten

#5520 May 21 2018

semaan

Sodetel dsl very very bad a lot of disconnection

#5521 May 21 2018

rolf

Maten I guess that is where I am. Yeah sodetel always disconnects but I thought that is something wrong with the access point because the wifi disappears for a little while sometimes.

Last edited by rolf (May 21 2018)

#5522 May 21 2018

semaan

i'm in Mtayleb, sodetel always disconnected

#5523 May 21 2018

semaan

disconnection in 30 minutes 2 times

#5524 May 21 2018

dio

Disconnected three times in 15 minutes around 5 pm.

#5525 May 31 2018

Danny

Hey guys , in february my home cyberia account was fullspeed 100gb, i called them to inquire about my lines max speed,they told me its 1mbps ,i checked the ogero website and entered my home number and again it showed that its 1mbps . After learning this i changed my account to 1mbps unlimited .

Last week i checked the ogero website again and my max speed was changed to 5 mbps ,i called cyberia and they told me its 5mbps.

Do u think the ogero website is giving me the right speed and my line speed has actually increased from february till now?

Please i will be grateful if someone replies fast coz its the end on the month i have to change my account type .

Thank u

Board footer