LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 16 2018

silo_m8

The 60$ narrative single player game

Having seen someone say on another thread here that 60$ is too much for a single player game, I wondered what you guys think.
For me, someone who is having less and less time to enjoy video games, I feel that my time for entertainment has become more valuable and the price I'm willing to pay for quality vs quantity has been steadily increasing.
Also, since I have less time to invest, I have less time to get good at multiplayer games. My last multiplayer game was LoL in season 5.
I am more willing to pay 60$ for a solid 25 hour single player narrative game than spend a dollar on a live service, connected multiplayer treadmill that will provide me a theoretical "infinite value for money".

What do you guys think?

Last edited by silo_m8 (April 16 2018)

#2 April 16 2018

LifeEngineer

Re: The 60$ narrative single player game

I kinda agree. I'm on PS4 and I do play mostly multiplayer games (simracing and Battlefield) but I get what you're saying.
In my opinion, some games are really worth that 60$ value, while of course some aren't.
For example, games like the witcher 3 (although old now), metal gear solid 5 phantom pain, GTA 5, assassins creed origins, battlefield 1 revolution (game+all DLC) are well worth that price.
Those are huge games with huge content for enough single player enjoyment (hundreds of hours and not only 25+) (neglecting BF1 in this case, which is big on the multiplayer side).
I have a dilemma, I hate short games, yet I rarely finish the huge games. However, I always avoid short games and like to get a game that I can play for years (coz i'm very limited on gaming time).

Last edited by LifeEngineer (April 16 2018)

#3 April 16 2018

silo_m8

LifeEngineer wrote:

I have a dilemma, I hate short games, yet I rarely finish the huge games. However, I always avoid short games and like to get a game that I can play for years (coz i'm very limited on gaming time).

I find myself more satisfied walking away from short(ish) quality narrative games than having no end in sight.
Most recent example is far cry 5, I just beat it yesterday after 30 hours and I am satisfied for the 50$ I paid for it. Some people want more out of their money, but I feel I got more enjoyment than 4 movies in the cinema which is good enough for me to move on to the next experience which will be god of war once it drops

#4 April 16 2018

LifeEngineer

Yeah I completely get you. I've also enjoyed some short(ish) games like The last of us, Uncharted 4, Tomb raider definitive edition! All awesome games!
But the fact that I've finished them, despite the accomplishment feel, means that I won't be playing it another time (that's me; some enjoy playing games again) so for me it feels like if that enjoyment has ended! Now i'll have to go "what's next now".
With huge games, and since I rarely finish any, I can always open it again and remember how it plays even after months, and pick up from where I left. It feels like that 60$ is kinda an internal enjoyment! It gives me some kind of happiness and satisfaction!

#5 April 16 2018

Tech Guru

Single player games (with no strong MP section) but with a strong campaign are fun to enjoy. I paid 100 USD for Fry Cry Gold Ed. with its season pass. I am a Far Cry Fan , so why not ? The campaign is rich and very entertaining like AC Origins.  Yes I can Pay 6000 LBP for a cracked game , but I am not a fan of piracy overall. I like online games patching , performance improvements , DLC contents even on Single Player Game with weak MP or no MP. I will pay soon 60 USD for example when God of War 4 is released , I will play and say when I finish my campaign It worth spending that on it since I enjoyed the whole story and is immersive that marked a good moments in my mind.

Not all Single Player Games worth 60 USD of their contents is shallow and short , they might be nice but I usually grab them with sales period.

Board footer