LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 17 2018

ap4ss3rby

GPU shortage in Lebanon due to cryptocurrency mining?

So unless one lives under a rock or they don't care for PC hardware much, he knows that there is an international GPU shortage due to ASIC resistant cryptocurrencies that must be mined with a gpu in order for one to make a profit(ethereum comes to mind). Is Lebanon worse than Europe and the USA or is it equally bad or somewhat better?

Last edited by ap4ss3rby (March 17 2018)

#2 March 18 2018

Johnaudi

Re: GPU shortage in Lebanon due to cryptocurrency mining?

It’s equally bad if not worse because there are no regulation on prices.

#3 March 18 2018

ap4ss3rby

So a GTX 1060 will cost at least twice as much due this issue if I am not mistaken

#4 March 18 2018

Johnaudi

You are correct, but since mining has dropped drastically lately, expect all the cards to be at half price in a few months perhaps. (Used, of course)

#5 March 18 2018

xazbrat

Johnaudi wrote:

You are correct, but since mining has dropped drastically lately, expect all the cards to be at half price in a few months perhaps. (Used, of course)

Yeah--there is also an issue of energy expended.  We may see more things like this happen as local governments and utility companies try to 'cash in' also.

#6 March 18 2018

Salloum

The whole mining thing will crash soon, just be patient.

#7 March 19 2018

DNA

Oh well i bought a new 8700k platform except for the gfx, still on my old one and waiting... not gunna pay 1000$ even 900 for a 1080ti

#8 March 19 2018

nuclearcat

Beware to not buy used cards from miners. Most likely they will have charred PCB near VRM, because most of them illiterate and didn't thought about proper cooling.

#9 March 21 2018

Tech Guru

DNA wrote:

Oh well i bought a new 8700k platform except for the gfx, still on my old one and waiting... not gunna pay 1000$ even 900 for a 1080ti

Before the Cryptocurrency thing , ( like a year and the half ago) the price of the 1080ti hovers here 850 USD - 900 USD , so do not except any changes when the Cryptocurrency and shoratges calm down.

#10 March 21 2018

Tech Guru

It will end soon ,NVIDIA P102-100 Cryptomining Graphic Card Surfaces and the next gen Ampere will not be optimized for cryptominig.

#11 March 21 2018

ManOwaRR

mining is dying,  2080 is almost here :)

Last edited by ManOwaRR (March 21 2018)

#12 March 21 2018

MrClass

Tech Guru wrote:
DNA wrote:

Before the Cryptocurrency thing , ( like a year and the half ago) the price of the 1080ti hovers here 850 USD - 900 USD , so do not except any changes when the Cryptocurrency and shoratges calm down.

Even less, got my Auros 1080Ti Xtreme for 650$. If SLI weren't so shit, would've got another one.

#13 March 21 2018

ManOwaRR

MrClass wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
DNA wrote:

Even less, got my Auros 1080Ti Xtreme for 650$. If SLI weren't so shit, would've got another one.

you are one of the lucky  ones

i bought my twin ti  msi lightning z for 950$ each and that was even before the mining craze

#14 March 21 2018

Tech Guru

ManOwaRR wrote:
MrClass wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

i bought my twin ti  msi lightning z for 950$ each and that was even before the mining craze

Mate I am talking about the local market , you know how things work here ( Customs , VAT , Profit Margins ) etc..

Last edited by Tech Guru (March 21 2018)

#15 March 21 2018

Tech Guru

ManOwaRR wrote:
MrClass wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

What are the out of the box boost frequency and memory frequency of the lightning z mate.

#16 March 21 2018

ManOwaRR

oc to 2075/6000 the lightnining z is a beast full temp under load is  45 max

#17 March 22 2018

DNA

Tech Guru wrote:
DNA wrote:

yea man i know i mean i wont pay that price for a 1year old card and newer generation is around the corner am waiting for the newer cards

#18 March 23 2018

elserge82

DNA wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
DNA wrote:

yea man i know i mean i wont pay that price for a 1year old card and newer generation is around the corner am waiting for the newer cards

Wish you were right. Nvidia is postponing their next gen. They feel in comfort for the time being

#19 March 24 2018

AVOlio

Mining rigs are piling up on OLX...

Board footer