LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 16 2017

Toufic

NetNeutrality & VPN (I summon thy fellow geeks)

Hi everyone...

I can't really tell how much people in Lebanon or on this form even are aware of the latest Net Neutrality issue taking place. (I advise some of you to give that a check as soon as possible and get a thorough understanding of it's implications)

More so, the recent claims of certain officials in Lebanon indicate that all the new hardware being installed on the network indicate a more in depth monitoring of internet user's data as well as activity

Hence my question: any recommendation on particularly good VPN soft wares and/or firewalls (or other software that "protect"?)

Any input would be welcomed

#2 December 16 2017

RandomMemory

Re: NetNeutrality & VPN (I summon thy fellow geeks)

All those laws don't affect us. They affect the US only. As for a vpn i recommend torguard and always connect to sweden/Switzerland/NL servers.

Last edited by RandomMemory (December 16 2017)

#3 December 16 2017

Toufic

RandomMemory wrote:

All those laws don't affect us. They affect the US only. As for a vpn i recommend torguard and always connect to sweden/Switzerland/NL servers.

I was advised hours ago by a hacker-friend to use the same servers you mentioned...

As for the NetNeutrality laws not affecting us.... not in the near future at least

#4 December 16 2017

Hybrid

Build your own vpn server, most of the services out there log your actions.

#5 December 17 2017

Toufic

Hybrid wrote:

Build your own vpn server, most of the services out there log your actions.

This why i was asking on this forum if someone was aware a of good VPN software (A.K.A. one that does not log you actions:p)

Thanks though ;)

#6 December 17 2017

samer
Admin

As far as I know, net neutrality is already being violated in Lebanon. One example of this is the "whatsapp package" provided by the phone operators where you can only access Whatsapp using your data bundle. Another one is how various ISPs throttle torrents.

#7 December 17 2017

vlatkozelka

samer wrote:

As far as I know, net neutrality is already being violated in Lebanon. One example of this is the "whatsapp package" provided by the phone operators where you can only access Whatsapp using your data bundle. Another one is how various ISPs throttle torrents.

True

I want to add that NN rules in USA can affect everyone, technically. I mean if you access something in USA, that happens to pass by some greedy ISP lines (Like AT&T), wouldn't they charge the requester ISP, and the bills get passed along until it reaches Ogero, and eventually us? That's the way I see it.

I doubt they can implement it in a way where the Lebanese ISP would be like "hey server that I have no control over, this packet is going to Lebanon, so if it passes through some greedy USA ISP , please tell them not to charge it more... kthxbai"  (A bit comical but not to offend anyone, it's a bit easier to explain this way)

#8 December 17 2017

nuclearcat

Keep in mind, that in most of countries where too many people resorted to VPN, ISPs did simple solution, they just throttled vpn to low speed.
But honestly, if ISPs in USA had same prices as Ogero give to private companies here - they wont even let to talk about net neutrality. Its not possible to survive without bandwidth priorities here.

#9 December 17 2017

rolf

Last time I read about the issue I was left with the impression that this is trying to solve a problem that does not exist (yet?).

Also these are 3 different issues:
- Privacy
- Optimizations based on protocol and FUP. These aim to improve average customer experience.
- Politically motivated prioritization. Eg: requests to google.com get priority over requests to bing.com because the ISP has an agreement with google.

Last edited by rolf (December 18 2017)

#10 December 30 2017

user

How do they know you are using a VPN? You can just put a VPN on port 80(I think) or any standard port that makes it confusing for them to make sure what it is...

#11 December 30 2017

nuclearcat

DPI logic is much more complex than port.
In some cases it is able even to estimate type of traffic(without decrypting) inside your vpn.

#12 January 25 2018

xazbrat

Net neutrality explained through burgers---innovative way of trying to explain it.

Whopper Neutrality

Board footer