LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 19 2018

beezer

Electrical Usage Affects DSL Max Speed

The long version:
This has been a great 8 months of fine tuning my internet connection by myself since no company would do their work.

1. The phone company blamed my "bad house wiring" for the slow speed and line stability, so I brought the main phone line directly to one single socket, bypassing all the daisy chains and plugged my modem there. That did not help.

2. After paying out of my own pocket, I separated the outside telephone cable to run farther apart from the electrical cables on the main street, there was a point where they were centimetres apart. That helped increase my lines stability and helped with the max speed (I was now getting just barely over 1mbps yay!)

3. I later discovered that come sunset, my CRC errors sky rocketed and my connection became unstable again. This happened every other afternoon, a little more investigating and I found the culprit, don't ask me how this makes sense, but it was a faulty street light. Again, paying out of my pocket and doing something "illegal" and by "illegal" I mean fixing the damn street light that the gov't hasn't touched since they installed it seemed to fix my problem. The telephone cable at that street light is underground, how does that interference reach the line, I don't know, I don't care. All I know is that it's fixed.

Now here I am, getting just a bit over 1mbps, stable connection and pretty content (lol). Actually, are we ever content with the internet speed we're getting? I've noticed over time that I get max speed ranging from 1mbps - 2mbps.

Short version:
I have noticed that the more electrical consumption that I'm using in the house, the less my max attainable speed gets. Simply unplugging the UPS that the DSL modem is connected to increases the speed by 100kbps. TV in another room, 100kbps, and so on. My phone line doesn't run by ANY electrical cables. It's direct from the phone box on the pole outside directly to the modem. So, any ideas how to solve this? In the end I'm losing anywhere between 400-800kbps.

Board footer