LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 1 2018

zfreddyzzz

VPN for video streaming

Hello,
I am contemplating buying VPN services for streaming videos online.
However, I am not sure what type of changes I need to make to my infrastructure at home (I have an Ogero DSL Thomson router) which I am connecting to a D-Link router to distribute at home (because it has a better range). I understand that I might need to go for a new router/modem and get Ogero to setup the modem for me (or it is not really the case?)
Does anyone have an experience with this? Any recommendations for best VPN provider?
I apologize beforehand if this is a repeat of another thread, but when I searched nothing showed up.
Cheers in advance.

#2 January 1 2018

beezer

Re: VPN for video streaming

What device will you use to stream, if computer, then no problem.
If Smart TV then VPN won't unlock some services as the firmware is middle east version and doesn't allow other programs to show up.
If AppleTV or other media device, then a router is your best bet, something DD-WRT based (ASUS has their own cook which also works).

What I used to do was:
DSL -> VPN Router -> Media Device

I kept the DSL wifi on as VPN did reduce speed and used it for my other devices.
The VPN provider (for streaming, not privacy) I used was buffered.com (they have a 10hour session trial after originally signing up, cancel within the 10hours and you get a full refund).

#3 January 1 2018

zfreddyzzz

I was planning to use it on a smart TV, but thanks for the tip.
However, I can always use it on a stick like the Fire TV of Amazon which I can purchase from the USA.
Then, in this case, I might be able to connect the Fire TV to a router with DD-wrt (I used to have an old D-link with DD-wrt installed on it).
Do you think that would work?
Can this configuration work:
DSL -> Router (for WiFi) -> home devices + VPN router (to connect the Fire TV)? or I have to go with DSL -> Router + VPN Router (using a splitter or something)

#4 January 2 2018

beezer

So I'm guessing you're using another router for WiFi and not the built in one from the DSL modem. In that case.

DSL LAN1-> Router WiFi (AP)
&
DSL LAN2-> VPN Router (connected as a client and provides a new IP/subnet to the FireTV)

Check your old router and see if it has the VPN Client option or newer firmware if it doesn't.

#5 January 4 2018

zfreddyzzz

Thank you beezer.
I will give it a shot.

#6 January 6 2018

dav

hello,
any suggestions for free VPNs to connect to Lebanon from abroad?

#7 January 6 2018

beezer

What are you trying to achieve by browsing from a Lebanese IP? Haven't really bothered checking to see if there was a Lebanese VPN, the bottleneck on that is probably horrible.

dav wrote:

hello,
any suggestions for free VPNs to connect to Lebanon from abroad?

#8 January 7 2018

dav

beezer wrote:

What are you trying to achieve by browsing from a Lebanese IP? Haven't really bothered checking to see if there was a Lebanese VPN, the bottleneck on that is probably horrible.

i really need that...

Board footer