LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 6 2017

anayman_k7

Awkward experience upgrading to OpenSpeed with IDM

So the short story that I wanted to upgrade my parent's 4Mbps IDM to OpenSpeed, they are located very close to the 'Centrale' and checking the maximum bandwidth the line can handle based on the Broadband connection parameters will result in around 22Mbps (currently 4Mbps with 32dB SNR).

I started the process by emailing IDM which replied that they need to do a "Feasibility Test" with Ogero, a month later they replied that the line can ONLY handle 4Mbps! I replied to them expressing my anger and how much that I don't trust this test and requested a speed change no matter what this test result it and let line sync the max speed it can handle (knowing that their result is fake) they approved instantly and switched the next refill plan to OpenSpeed.

What I disliked a lot in this process was this wait for such a stupid 'Feasibility Test' which has a very fake result based on non scientific data, that's the second time IDM does that to me where I fell victim to them in the first time, was stuck at 1Mbps because 'Feasibility Test' decided that, I battled them and managed 4Mbps before OpenSpeed plans and now I'm at 8 to 10 Mbps.

Can anyone explain why they do that!? The logical thing is encouraging the more expensive plans where the profit should be higher.

#2 November 6 2017

kfc

Re: Awkward experience upgrading to OpenSpeed with IDM

anayman_k7 wrote:

So the short story that I wanted to upgrade my parent's 4Mbps IDM to OpenSpeed, they are located very close to the 'Centrale' and checking the maximum bandwidth the line can handle based on the Broadband connection parameters will result in around 22Mbps (currently 4Mbps with 32dB SNR).

I started the process by emailing IDM which replied that they need to do a "Feasibility Test" with Ogero, a month later they replied that the line can ONLY handle 4Mbps! I replied to them expressing my anger and how much that I don't trust this test and requested a speed change no matter what this test result it and let line sync the max speed it can handle (knowing that their result is fake) they approved instantly and switched the next refill plan to OpenSpeed.

What I disliked a lot in this process was this wait for such a stupid 'Feasibility Test' which has a very fake result based on non scientific data, that's the second time IDM does that to me where I fell victim to them in the first time, was stuck at 1Mbps because 'Feasibility Test' decided that, I battled them and managed 4Mbps before OpenSpeed plans and now I'm at 8 to 10 Mbps.

Can anyone explain why they do that!? The logical thing is encouraging the more expensive plans where the profit should be higher.

I had the same experience .

Both Ogero and IDM told me thgat my line handles 6 mbps only while I am getting now 12-14 mbps.

#3 November 6 2017

potato

"Guess" uncompetitive employees which reflects the mamagement of idm.

#4 November 6 2017

kfc

potato wrote:

"Guess" uncompetitive employees which reflects the mamagement of idm.

or from ogero because they get the results from ogero

#5 November 7 2017

rolf

anayman_k7 wrote:

A lot of customer service in Lebanon is quite retarded. Customer service or experience. Many things are very amateurish.
For example to upgrade my data plan, I have to call alfa, and give them a bunch of information to "prove" that I am actually allowed to upgrade my plans, such as amount of last bill, bank branch, etc. This is very annoying and humiliating.

Compare that to the provider that I was using when I was staying in the UK. All I had to do is log into their website (username and password), which, by the way, is responsive (hello? you provide mobile services and your site is not responsive?), select my plan, click apply, and that's it.

And by the way, how I got that number? They just send out spam envelopes, with a sim card inside. So I was checking my mail (something else we don't have here), and saw it, and though "oh, I need a phone number, by the way" and 10 minutes later I had activated my new number online.

For my bank, I can also check my account online, and they have a mobile app too. I can do free transfers to anyone else's account and it gets there within seconds. For my Lebanese bank I have an account too, but it's pretty useless for anything more than checking your balance. Their site is pretty ugly and like 20 years old, confusing, and useless. For doing transfers, I have to go down to the bank and pay like $20 (or $35 for different currencies). It's a big deal.

Oh and when I loose my card, I have to drive to the bank to sign a paper requesting a replacement (again, big deal!) then drive again another time to pick it up a few days later. In the UK I would just log in to online banking, click "lost card", confirm, and receive a replacement in the mail 3 days later.

I could go on and on.

And then there is that time where I was lectured by a parking valet about "my duties as a customer".

I don't get it, nobody cares about the customer experience.

It doesn't make any sense.

PS: To be honest, I can see some progress being made.
So let's hope for the best.

Last edited by rolf (November 7 2017)

#6 November 15 2017

kareem_nasser

I will just post a summary of what happened:

Once they switched me to the OS package with a sync rate of 6 Mbps for download my margin still has some left for about 8 Mbps with attenuation of 37. Called them said the regular and they said they will test and get back....Nothing happened claiming my line couldnt handle it.

Recently less than a month ago my Margin at the same rate was about 17 and attenuation about 35, so i can easily get 8 Mbps..called again raising the voice a bit with technical and customer service teams, told me they will contact GDS this time since they are my DSP. And i told them in that case i should have the privilege of the speed since my DSP is GDS. Obviously i knew my DSP is GDS a long time ago, but told them ok let GDS test and i will wait for your call.
So they called like 3 days later saying if they were to sync me at 8Mbps my connection will desync every 10 seconds.
Even though in my phone call i told them i take responsibility if that happens and i will of course contact them to decrease the sync rate.

Currently i am still at 6 Mbps with the following stats:
T3LGds9.png

#7 November 15 2017

anayman_k7

Typical Lebanese Support, by the way they still didn't enable the OpenSpeed for me, I'm still at 4mbps, I call them daily and they say it is from Ogero and they requested them to check the line, I'm almost in the middle of first OS period and still stuck at 4mbps even that I paid for OpenSpeed

#8 November 15 2017

vlatkozelka

I think IDM saves bandwidth where they can, because Ogero isn't providing them with enough. And all of the crap you deal with from IDM comes from Ogero. It's why I switched to Ogero, at least I'd deal with the source of the crap, not have to hear a whiny customer service employee crying about how Ogero is restricting them.

#9 December 1 2017

anayman_k7

Update: I'm still syncing at 4mbps, I called them like 30 times already and they keep stating that they sent a request for Ogero with no reply yet, this is totally beyond unacceptable, I will request a compensation from them

#10 December 1 2017

Tech Guru

vlatkozelka wrote:

I think IDM saves bandwidth where they can, because Ogero isn't providing them with enough. And all of the crap you deal with from IDM comes from Ogero. It's why I switched to Ogero, at least I'd deal with the source of the crap, not have to hear a whiny customer service employee crying about how Ogero is restricting them.

Yes, I have some internal sources that matches that. The most reliable open speed you will get is from Ogero and maximum 2 km from the CO. ISPs open-speed is  some how unreliable // unstable.

#11 December 1 2017

kfc

vlatkozelka wrote:

if your DSP is GDS, you get capped. if your DSP is Ogero, you get the fullspeed.

I am with IDM and my DSP is Ogero. I am getting the full speed.

#12 December 1 2017

Tech Guru

kfc wrote:
vlatkozelka wrote:

if your DSP is GDS, you get capped. if your DSP is Ogero, you get the fullspeed.

And how the end user can differentiate between the DSP Source , and is that geographically bounded or ISP related.

#13 December 1 2017

kfc

Tech Guru wrote:
kfc wrote:
vlatkozelka wrote:

And how the end user can differentiate between the DSP Source , and is that geographically bounded or ISP related.

It depends on the DSPs that are present in every central. when you apply, they ask you to chose the DSP if both are available in your centrale. Just ask them now

#14 December 3 2017

kareem_nasser

Anyone noticed the social media domino effect that Ogero created? I mean Terranet jumped into the bandwagon. Though we know IDM is the second largest ISP in Lebanon, they didnt bother at all so far.

Board footer