LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1101 November 13 2017

chosen2k

Re: AliExpress in Lebanon

Ahmad_S111 wrote:
chosen2k wrote:
Ahmad_S111 wrote:

Hi guys anyone else got their item cleared from customs? Mine is stuck since 27 october in customs clearence.

I have a package stuck since 27 October. I'll update here when it gets cleared.

i just woke up and got a notification that my item was cleared i double checked the website and its cleared . how about you chosen2k?

edit: i use this app very good it automatically display update events

Same here. it got cleared on saturday. 15 Days rotting at customs.

2017-11-11 08:00 LEBANON-BEIRUT SORTING CENTRE, Item received back from Customs
    2017-10-27 18:00 LEBANON-BEIRUT SORTING CENTRE, Item handed over to Customs for clearance Retention Reason: Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner

Last edited by chosen2k (November 13 2017)

#1102 November 13 2017

Xsever

I ordered an electronic device on 10 October and received it last week on Wednesday the 8th so less than a month.

#1103 November 13 2017

infiniteloop

So it depends on the customs mood?
Or when they are not sure about the item's value they keep searching for days?

#1104 November 15 2017

kfc

what to do if you buy an item that you want so bad but the seller doesnt ship it although you extended the order processing time twice and he doesn't reply to your messages? is there any way to report him  to aliexpress to pressure him to ship it?

#1105 November 15 2017

RockmasteR

Hey guys, anyone tried ordering a phone from Aliexpress? I'm thinking about getting the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, it costs $512 but I'm concerned about the customs here, what do you think?

#1106 November 15 2017

Draguen

RockmasteR wrote:

Hey guys, anyone tried ordering a phone from Aliexpress? I'm thinking about getting the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, it costs $512 but I'm concerned about the customs here, what do you think?

Ordered a mi 5 in February, the seller used a sh*ty delivery serivce, the item was sent as a "parcel" instead of a regular item. the delivery took 2 month instead of the usual 3 weeks at the time and i had to pay around 20 dol of taxes (because of the sh*tty delivery method), but all in all, i would re do it without blinking an eye.

#1107 November 16 2017

chosen2k

infiniteloop wrote:

So it depends on the customs mood?
Or when they are not sure about the item's value they keep searching for days?

If by any chance your item was stopped at customs and you need to pay a fee at Libanpost, the price to pay is selected randomly within seconds depending on the mood of the commissioner.

The "Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner" is just an additional waiting time that is now close to 16 days (I expect this number to keep on getting higher since we just had the aliexpress sale 11.11) just for your parcel to be placed on the scanner and cleared without necessarily having to pay any additional fee.

#1108 November 20 2017

infiniteloop

Anyone tried Gearbest? It looks like they have something against Lebanese, I mean I checked lot of ads for items delivered in Europe and it's literally 1/2 the price given to Lebanon!!!

As for aliexpress, can you buy a Dji remote control for the Spark or it's forbidden? and will the customs make you pay taxes on it? It costs 107$

Last edited by infiniteloop (November 20 2017)

#1109 November 23 2017

Romanvian

you will probably be taxed since it has an official distributor here ( AFAIK), or be really lucky and it passes normally.

Customs waiting times are ridiculous these days, items need 1 week to fly over and about 4-6 days of processing in country of origin but need 2 weeks just to go through the scanner for a total of 20 days from landing to reaching delivery office and the office sometimes delays sending them out for an extra 1-3 days.

someone back there said the commissioner seems to be in a coma. that could be true...

Last edited by Romanvian (November 23 2017)

#1110 November 24 2017

chosen2k

The probability of getting taxed depends on the shipping carrier. Aramex, fedex and the likes expect a probability of 100% customs fees. However the amount to be paid is random.

If you ship an expensive item through singapore post (or aliexpress shipping methods) the probability of getting taxed is extremely low.

I've purchased from Amazon and used USPS for shipping and the items passed without customs. I use a browser extension that checks if amazon items can be directly shipped to lebanon.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … o/?src=api

^ However the shipping price is horrendous but for a few things it beats purchasing them from here.

Last edited by chosen2k (November 24 2017)

#1111 December 13 2017

infiniteloop

I have 2 orders and none is good:
-One bought on 11.11, exactly 1 month on ''departed country of destination'', I asked the seller where it's and he answer with ads!!
-A new order paid 6 days ago and still under ''processing'' meaning it's still not even sent from the seller to China Airmail, I asked him 2 days ago why he is so slow, he answered it's because he want to find the best quality units before sending me!! No idea if he meant he doesn't have actually the items or only a few units are good vs defective.
I talked to aliexpress chat help, the girl told me to open a dispute with the last seller. I told her I will wait till the processing time is finished and won't extend so the transaction is automatically cancelled. Though last time I opened a dispute and won to get back my money, it took 6 weeks to see my money back. What should I do? The seller ratings for this particular item were very positive with ''very fast delivery'' comments, I am really surprised to see that he didn't process it yet

#1112 December 13 2017

kfc

infiniteloop wrote:

I have 2 orders and none is good:
-One bought on 11.11, exactly 1 month on ''departed country of destination'', I asked the seller where it's and he answer with ads!!
-A new order paid 6 days ago and still under ''processing'' meaning it's still not even sent from the seller to China Airmail, I asked him 2 days ago why he is so slow, he answered it's because he want to find the best quality units before sending me!! No idea if he meant he doesn't have actually the items or only a few units are good vs defective.
I talked to aliexpress chat help, the girl told me to open a dispute with the last seller. I told her I will wait till the processing time is finished and won't extend so the transaction is automatically cancelled. Though last time I opened a dispute and won to get back my money, it took 6 weeks to see my money back. What should I do? The seller ratings for this particular item were very positive with ''very fast delivery'' comments, I am really surprised to see that he didn't process it yet

I bought an item on 11.11 at a discounted price (22$ instead of 38). After 6 days, it was still not shipped, so I contacted the seller asking why. He told me sorry the item is out of stock!!!! Knowing that the item was still present in his store at the original price of 38$!

I insisted that he was lying but he never answered seriously. I talked to aliexpress chat about that 5 times in 3 weeks to report this fraudulent fake discount but they were totally useless and didn't do anything to force the seller to ship it. They are only good at talking nicely...

At the end I gave up and cancelled the order yesterday.

Last edited by kfc (December 13 2017)

#1113 December 26 2017

Romanvian

Hey everyone
So i was wondering what if my friend in the US sends me an Amazon Alexa...the echo dot precisely using standard shipping and not express shipping. Will customs hold it and make me pay taxes or is it considered a typical personal package like how AE packages are treated ? Anyone ever got a personal package from abroad?

#1114 January 10 2018

LifeEngineer

Watch out guys:
Don't order any cell phone online anymore, unless you know what you're up to.
There's a new law that forbids foreign phones to work on our network, unless you register the IMEI and pay the customs fees.
I had to run in a 1 week hassle, going from airport warehouses (customs), to Libanpost at the airport, to the ministry of telecommunications, back to the airport warehouses then to libanpost.
For a phone costing around 130$, I had to pay around 45$ additional, between customs fees, parkings, libanpost fees. This is without considering the hassle, traffic, loss of time, anger, leaving work for some hours, fuel, etc...
So watch out.

It's gonna be my last phone I order from AliExpress, until they cancel the new law; as they usually do, hopefully!

Last edited by LifeEngineer (January 10 2018)

#1115 January 10 2018

xazbrat

LifeEngineer wrote:

Watch out guys:
There's a new law that forbids foreign phones to work on our network, unless you register the IMEI and pay the customs fees.
I had to run in a 1 week hassle, going from airport warehouses (customs), to Libanpost at the airport, to the ministry of telecommunications, back to the airport warehouses then to libanpost.
For a phone costing around 130$, I had to pay around 45$ additional, between customs fees, parkings, libanpost fees, let alone the hassle, traffic, loss of time, anger, leaving work for some hours, fuel, etc...
So watch out.

It's gonna be my last phone I order from AliExpress, until they cancel the new law; as they usually do, hopefully!

Ah crap--just ordered a new phone last month and should be here soon.  Nice transparency with our laws here.  :/

#1116 January 10 2018

infiniteloop

What about Amhaz phones? are they registered?
I thought this laws were made to stop Amhaz

#1117 January 10 2018

LifeEngineer

infiniteloop wrote:

What about Amhaz phones? are they registered?
I thought this laws were made to stop Amhaz

Hahaha you're funny!
Amhaz (and the guys behind him) can stop the whole country!

#1118 January 10 2018

Hybrid

What about tourists who visit and buy the 2 weeks package? How do they use their phones?

#1119 January 10 2018

khanem

LifeEngineer wrote:

Watch out guys:
For a phone costing around 130$, I had to pay around 45$ additional, between customs fees, parkings, libanpost fees. This is without considering the hassle, traffic, loss of time, anger, leaving work for some hours, fuel, etc...
So watch out.

Strange. Last Sunday i setup a phone bought in france and everything worked fine.

#1120 January 10 2018

LifeEngineer

khanem wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

Watch out guys:
So watch out.

Strange. Last Sunday i setup a phone bought in france and everything worked fine.

Ok here's the exact situation:
-The hassle is only for online orders (or shipping).
When you get it with you from abroad (as if it's your personal device), you don't need to go through all that, except the activation part starting February (see point below). You don't need to pay any customs fees.
-the new policy will be active starting February. So any phone that was activated on the network (installing a sim) before that is practically registered and good to go. Starting February, it'll work for a limited time only until you officially register it (IMEI).

@hybrid, the above answers your question too

Last edited by LifeEngineer (January 10 2018)

#1121 January 10 2018

infiniteloop

I don't understand, starting February any phone you bring yourself (online or by travel) will have to be registered at the airport but no customs to pay?

#1122 January 11 2018

LifeEngineer

infiniteloop wrote:

I don't understand, starting February any phone you bring yourself (online or by travel) will have to be registered at the airport but no customs to pay?

-starting February any phone you bring yourself (online or by travel) will have to be registered at the airport ==> True. But not sure if at the airport or the ministry of telecommunications in case of travel.
-no customs to pay ==> for online purchases (like aliexpress) you will have to pay the customs; for personal travel, you won't need to.

#1123 January 11 2018

nefe_lpmk

My items I ordered 20 Nov arrived today.
Earphones and audio cables.
No customs , great condition.

#1124 January 11 2018

xazbrat

nefe_lpmk wrote:

My items I ordered 20 Nov arrived today.
Earphones and audio cables.
No customs , great condition.

Cgz---that gives me hope.

#1125 January 11 2018

infiniteloop

Customs on smartphones then, not everything from AE

Board footer