LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 12 2017

vlatkozelka

Dealing with lag

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a way to get rid of the lag I got at home. My ping isn't bad at all with Ogero: 60~80ms. But the problem is we are 5 people at home, who are all heavy internet users who just don't sleep. So I'm wondering if I can get another connection, like maybe some local isp for my family, and ogero for myself (they wouldn't care about ping). Or would getting a faster plan help with lag?

My current internet plan is 2mbps unlimited

(please correct me on the next statement if I'm wrong)
The way I see it, lag happens when the bandwidth gets saturated, and routers have to delegate. But if I upgrade the bandwidth, I'd still have the same issues, cause devices will all try and use the max available, or I'd have to do some QoS which is terrible to configure on home "routers"

Btw I pay internet and "ishtirak" for the house and can afford an upgrade/other connection. So budget isn't exactly a problem if it's an extra 40~50$ per month.

Whatever I'm gonna have to go with needs to be either unlimited, or a really big cap, cause I have a very internet hungry family. Stupid social networks!

What do you think?

Last edited by vlatkozelka (November 12 2017)

#2 November 12 2017

Adnan

Re: Dealing with lag

My two cents: the biggest problem when you get higher speeds that theorically will satisfy the download hungry devices, is the upload speed that will stay at a mediocre 1Mbps or 1.5 at best. The ADSL technology simply won't give you more than that (except for ADSL2+ Annex M which can reach up to 3Mbps upload).

I have a 4Mbps connection and when I want to game, I throttle the overall download speed using a DD-WRT router to 2.5Mbps and the upload speed to 600Kbps, it works just fine.

#3 November 12 2017

beezer

I think 60-80 is not great for ping response to begin with.
As mentioned your upload speed is limited, don't forget that. Another isp would be the best and simplest solution.

Or change your modem to a good brand and prioritize by qos.

You seem to have already figured it out.

#4 November 12 2017

vlatkozelka

beezer wrote:

I think 60-80 is not great for ping response to begin with.
As mentioned your upload speed is limited, don't forget that. Another isp would be the best and simplest solution.

Or change your modem to a good brand and prioritize by qos.

You seem to have already figured it out.

I meant good ping by lebanese standards ;)

What other isp you suggest for gaming? For all I know ogero has the best ping since all upload passes by them. I've tried multiple ISPs before and they are all bad, including ogero.

#5 November 12 2017

AVOlio

You need an open speed plan.
I got vdsl it opens almost 28-29mbps
Today I was playing Battlefield 4 online, while downloading a movie torrent and also while many people were using the internet. Didn't get any single lag or ping spikes what so ever during the game, 60-65ms stable. But I just rage quit the game cause it obviously wasn't my day!

#6 November 12 2017

vlatkozelka

AVOlio wrote:

Today I was playing Battlefield 4 online, while downloading a movie torrent and also while many people were using the internet. Didn't get any single lag or ping spikes what so ever during the game, 60-65ms stable. But I just rage quit the game cause it obviously wasn't my day!

aren't open speed plans capped? are you managing well with capped internet? Cause we used to run out of megabytes 2.5 weeks into each month with a 45GB plan, even with unlimited night.

#7 November 12 2017

AVOlio

So far since I switched to open speed haven't run out of the quota yet.
But of course I've made my precautions.
I've made a guest wifi network and limited the speed to 1-2mbps and let everyone use that one.

#8 November 13 2017

vlatkozelka

AVOlio wrote:

I've made a guest wifi network and limited the speed to 1-2mbps and let everyone use that one.

I guess that should work. Since the family is used to 2mbps, I can do that. And with 150GB cap there shouldn't be a problem.

#9 November 13 2017

AVOlio

vlatkozelka wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

I guess that should work. Since the family is used to 2mbps, I can do that. And with 150GB cap there shouldn't be a problem.

Better to go with the 200Gb one.
You never know with the game updates, or new game downloads.

#10 November 13 2017

hkbazzi

AVOlio wrote:

what were you line stats on ADSL before getting a VDSL

How much is your attenuation and SNR and how much speed were you getting?

Last edited by hkbazzi (November 13 2017)

#11 November 13 2017

rolf

There is a certain amount of lag you can do nothing about. Your packet goes through the internet, probably through cables under the Mediterranean sea, to Europe or whatever it's headed. The infrastructure in Lebanon isn't that great, and most servers are outside the country, so you will get a minimum lag.

But then there is lag due to bandwidth saturation, in which case there are a few things you can do.

Simplest is of course not to use your connection too much when you use a lag-critical application. Another thing you can do is make sure there is some queuing discipline on your router to send the packets in the best order and fairly distribute bandwidth.

This depends on your use cases. For example, if you let the upload saturate, then you will hardly be able to download anything, because you are unable to send any requests or acknowledgment packets to keep the download going. You must keep maybe about 10% of your upload reserved for requests and ACK packets.

#12 November 14 2017

vlatkozelka

rolf wrote:

There is a certain amount of lag you can do nothing about. Your packet goes through the internet, probably through cables under the Mediterranean sea, to Europe or whatever it's headed. The infrastructure in Lebanon isn't that great, and most servers are outside the country, so you will get a minimum lag.

But then there is lag due to bandwidth saturation, in which case there are a few things you can do.

Simplest is of course not to use your connection too much when you use a lag-critical application. Another thing you can do is make sure there is some queuing discipline on your router to send the packets in the best order and fairly distribute bandwidth.

This depends on your use cases. For example, if you let the upload saturate, then you will hardly be able to download anything, because you are unable to send any requests or acknowledgment packets to keep the download going. You must keep maybe about 10% of your upload reserved for requests and ACK packets.

man no offense but you re-explained my main post with longer paragraphs. I mentioned base ping, bandwidth saturation, qos, and people using internet during critical applications

#13 November 14 2017

Makozak

AVOlio wrote:

I'm in the same situation as OP and I'm curious about Open Speed since I was looking at it lately.
Which ISP do you have ?

I have Ogero 2mbps (like OP again) and their offer for Open Speed is not that great. At night you don't have unlimited while other ISP (Cybera, TerraNet, ....) do have an unlimited option from 11pm to 7am.

And which ISP do you advise me ? Don't want to be disappointed

#14 November 14 2017

AVOlio

Makozak wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

I'm in the same situation as OP and I'm curious about Open Speed since I was looking at it lately.
Which ISP do you have ?

I have Ogero 2mbps (like OP again) and their offer for Open Speed is not that great. At night you don't have unlimited while other ISP (Cybera, TerraNet, ....) do have an unlimited option from 11pm to 7am.

You are with Ogero then you are with the right isp
I will never recommend any isp to anyone other than Ogero.
True their phone customer service can be bad most of the times as they transfer you from an agent to another like a Rollercoaster, but every isp has this as I've read many same experiences with users here on lebgeeks with other isps aswell.
In Ogero if you contact the right and knowledgeable people, like their Twitter team or a guy called Nader, they will serve you right away. (Nader usually is the guy you contact if you want to turn off your interleaving, and if you want a low ping, you should turn interleaving off).

So yes, you are with Ogero, stay with them  and switch to the open speed plan, the largest one of 200Gb.

As I've mentioned, it didn't happen that I've consumed the entire quota so far. I maintained that by making a guest wifi network that I limited the speed on it to 2mbps for everyone to use.
If you use the same way, im sure you will be okay. There are 4 other people in the house using the internet other than me, to give you a scale.
And of course with the open speed you'll not encounter any lag or spikes what so ever resulting from other people using the internet while you're gaming.

Hope I was of help to you guys!

#15 November 15 2017

Makozak

AVOlio wrote:
Makozak wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Which ISP do you have ?

You are with Ogero then you are with the right isp
I will never recommend any isp to anyone other than Ogero.
True their phone customer service can be bad most of the times as they transfer you from an agent to another like a Rollercoaster, but every isp has this as I've read many same experiences with users here on lebgeeks with other isps aswell.
In Ogero if you contact the right and knowledgeable people, like their Twitter team or a guy called Nader, they will serve you right away. (Nader usually is the guy you contact if you want to turn off your interleaving, and if you want a low ping, you should turn interleaving off).

So yes, you are with Ogero, stay with them  and switch to the open speed plan, the largest one of 200Gb.

As I've mentioned, it didn't happen that I've consumed the entire quota so far. I maintained that by making a guest wifi network that I limited the speed on it to 2mbps for everyone to use.
If you use the same way, im sure you will be okay. There are 4 other people in the house using the internet other than me, to give you a scale.
And of course with the open speed you'll not encounter any lag or spikes what so ever resulting from other people using the internet while you're gaming.

Hope I was of help to you guys!

It is indeed helpful, thanks !
They problem is the quota tbh. I do know that with a regular use I will never reach the 200 Gb, but I don't intend on " regularly use " this offer. Just updating games will take too much. Every week you have around 2-3 Gigs of updates for each game.
Also if I buy a new game (I officially buy games from online stores, not on disc in the local electronic stores with cracks), I would have to download over 50 Gigs per game.

I don't know if you do play online games but if you do, how do you deal with that ?
Once more, thanks for your help :)

#16 November 15 2017

AVOlio

I regularly update online games like Battlefield 4, and 1 and some other but they are less occurrent.
I'm not a regular new games buyer (although when i got my vive, i downloaded a huge load of vr games that were like 20gb in total), but i am a very frequent movies/series downloader.  I download DAILY a movie of 1Gb to watch, this is besides my favorite series that air each week that i download as well, and any other series that i get recommended to watch for example, i download them directly.
Also in terms of games download, i usually download new AAA titles and play them. the most recent one was shadow of war and far cry primal that i downloaded, about 70Gb for both of them!

All above is just Me!
as mentioned i have 4 other people in the house who use the internet Youtubing and facebooking or whatever almost half of the day.
But they're on 2mbps wifi.

And yet , i've never passed the 200Gb quota limit.

To get rid of assumptions and guesses, all you need to do is try it bro.
You are already with ogero, so if you request a plan change, the change will apply next month.
So i suggest you to do that, switch to 200Gb and try it for yourself for one or two month and see how it goes.
of course do not forget about making a new wifi network and limiting the speed for the other members!

Board footer