LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 19 2017

Sebas98619

Wifi extender/repeater

Hey guys, hope everything is going well. I currently have a tp-link extender, but I have to disconnect from my main wifi and connect to the extender manually everytime my main wifi has low signal. Is there an extender that allows me to automatically connect/disconnect to it ? If so, what extender do you recommend ?

#2 August 19 2017

Adnan

Re: Wifi extender/repeater

Give the repeater the same SSID as the main WiFi but with a different channel. Should work.

#3 August 19 2017

Sebas98619

Adnan wrote:

Give the repeater the same SSID as the main WiFi but with a different channel. Should work.

Thank you. Unfortunately, my extender does not allow a change in channels. It follows the channel of the main router. Do you know any extender that allows channel changing ?

#4 August 19 2017

Adnan

Okay, sorry. I set up an extender today. All I had to do was set the extender's SSID to be the same as the main router. The channel is as you said, the same as the main router. Everything is working. Here's the full setup just in case you need it:

Ingredients:
1. One TP Link router with repeater capabilities.
2. One LinkSys router with low signal.

Steps:
1. Disable DHCP on the TP Link.
2. Set the TP Link on WDS aka repeater mode.
3. Set the LAN address of the TP Link to something in the IP range of the main router. So for example if the main router's IP is 192.168.1.1 then the extender should have an IP  of 192.168.1.X
4. Connect the repeater to the main router through your typical extender setup.
5. Set the repeater's SSID to exactly the same SSID as the original.
6. Profit from large scale big data multi backbone high speed LTE signal.

Last edited by Adnan (August 19 2017)

#5 August 20 2017

Sebas98619

Adnan wrote:

Okay, sorry. I set up an extender today. All I had to do was set the extender's SSID to be the same as the main router. The channel is as you said, the same as the main router. Everything is working. Here's the full setup just in case you need it:

Ingredients:
1. One TP Link router with repeater capabilities.
2. One LinkSys router with low signal.

Steps:
1. Disable DHCP on the TP Link.
2. Set the TP Link on WDS aka repeater mode.
3. Set the LAN address of the TP Link to something in the IP range of the main router. So for example if the main router's IP is 192.168.1.1 then the extender should have an IP  of 192.168.1.X
4. Connect the repeater to the main router through your typical extender setup.
5. Set the repeater's SSID to exactly the same SSID as the original.
6. Profit from large scale big data multi backbone high speed LTE signal.

Well that's already done but I guess I need a router with repeater capabilities rather than a pure extender. Thank you very much.

#6 February 26 2023

gamer4life

Hi Guys, I have a Tp link router/modem setup in a certain area in my house and I have a normal router configured to work as a repeater in another area in the house and connected to the TP link modem via ethernet cable.

The problem is, my configured router (repeater) is giving a limited speed of max 7M through wifi while the main modem has a speed of 30M(I'm on VDSL)also through wifi. I didn't have this issue when I had normal DSL, it was always 14M from the main modem and 14M from the repeater, and non of the devices changed place in the house at all.

I connected an ethernet cable from the repeater and directly to my PC to see where exactly is the problem, the pc had 30M speed, so it seems it's only through wifi the speed limitation is.

I gave the repeater/router to 2 of my friends to check it in there houses, they didn't have any problem at all, the repeater and the main modem through wifi gave the exact same speed.

I contacted ogero to check, and they said everything is normal and they can't do anything from there side :/

I would really appreciate any help because it's driving me crazy to know where the problem is from, and I already ordered an 80$ router(Speedefy K7) from USA so I can have better wifi range and technology. So I need to figure out the problem or the router is going to waste ?

#7 February 27 2023

Mayyad

gamer4life wrote:

Hi Guys, I have a Tp link router/modem setup in a certain area in my house and I have a normal router configured to work as a repeater in another area in the house and connected to the TP link modem via ethernet cable.

The problem is, my configured router (repeater) is giving a limited speed of max 7M through wifi while the main modem has a speed of 30M(I'm on VDSL)also through wifi. I didn't have this issue when I had normal DSL, it was always 14M from the main modem and 14M from the repeater, and non of the devices changed place in the house at all.

I connected an ethernet cable from the repeater and directly to my PC to see where exactly is the problem, the pc had 30M speed, so it seems it's only through wifi the speed limitation is.

I gave the repeater/router to 2 of my friends to check it in there houses, they didn't have any problem at all, the repeater and the main modem through wifi gave the exact same speed.

I contacted ogero to check, and they said everything is normal and they can't do anything from there side :/

I would really appreciate any help because it's driving me crazy to know where the problem is from, and I already ordered an 80$ router(Speedefy K7) from USA so I can have better wifi range and technology. So I need to figure out the problem or the router is going to waste ?

Is the Topology LAN to WAN or LAN to LAN?

#8 February 28 2023

gamer4life

Mayyad wrote:

Is the Topology LAN to WAN or LAN to LAN?

It is LAN to LAN

Board footer