LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 17 2017

Deezer

Lebanese Video Game Stores and Video Games

Hello fellow geeks

Gamestop in Beirut (basically a Lebanese version of Gamestop) and some other stores sell new games at prices that are usually pretty close to the prices we see on Amazon for video games. Now the real question is: How do these stores manage to get the games at low prices? While your fellow Lebanese gamer, if wanted to import a video game from outside Lebanon, would have to pay a considerable
amount of money for taxes and shipping costs.

Last edited by Deezer (July 17 2017)

#2 July 17 2017

elchebib

Re: Lebanese Video Game Stores and Video Games

Hello,

You have to take into account shipping costs and customs (jamaerik) fees. I think the customs fees were between 10-15% of the cost of the game. Its been a while since I purchased games from abroad.

And obviuosly you have into the account the shipping time too.

Imo, buying the games from a local store is easier and less costly.

Last edited by elchebib (July 17 2017)

#3 July 17 2017

Deezer

Of course there are customs and shipping costs, but for a store to sell a game at $55 while in the US it's still $52 (for example) or even more than that is weird. It's almost like they're buying the games for nothing.

#4 July 17 2017

elchebib

Deezer wrote:

Of course there are customs and shipping costs, but for a store to sell a game at $55 while in the US it's still $52 (for example) or even more than that is weird. It's almost like they're buying the games for nothing.

Oh. I misunderstood your point.

Yeah. I could never understand how do they get the games through customs. Its either that bulk shipments of games is cheaper so that's why they can sell at a similar price abroad. Or they are smuggling these games some how.

I think its more related to buying stuff in bulk then anything else. But, you never know

#5 July 17 2017

Georges00

A game that's being sold for 60$ does not cost that much for the seller.
They could have low profit but sell alot...

#6 July 18 2017

Tech Guru

With the new internet open speeds , downloading digital copies are becoming  more accessible and cheaper than local stores - especially on sale period.

#7 July 18 2017

Deezer

Tech Guru wrote:

With the new internet open speeds , downloading digital copies are becoming  more accessible and cheaper than local stores - especially on sale period.

Well, not in all areas.

And still, if I wanted to download a 43GB game for example (Until Dawn is free on PS+ this month by the way) that would take ages and quota is just not enough.

Board footer