LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 25 2017

nefe_lpmk

Tip when using chrome

Hi guys,

I found this rather useful tip while browsing with chrome that I love, so I thought I might share it here:

When you want to search for Lebanon for example on youtube for example you write in the URL bar: youtube.com Lebanon (youtube.com "space" lebanon).

This works on facebook,youtube,google and many other websites.

Cheers!

#2 May 25 2017

xazbrat

Re: Tip when using chrome

The easy way is to type in youtube.com then hit the tab key and it will give you a prompt:  Search Youtube Video Search.  Does it for other sites as well.

#3 May 25 2017

MrClass

nefe_lpmk wrote:

Hi guys,

I found this rather useful tip while browsing with chrome that I love, so I thought I might share it here:

When you want to search for Lebanon for example on youtube for example you write in the URL bar: youtube.com Lebanon (youtube.com "space" lebanon).

Cheers!

Lol don't mean to make fun, but are you new to the Internet?

#4 May 25 2017

nefe_lpmk

MrClass wrote:
nefe_lpmk wrote:

Hi guys,

Cheers!

Nope, just a long time Firefox user that recently switched to chrome. If you know it , doesn't mean everyone does.

#5 May 25 2017

rolf

Here's a tip. It is for Linux sending your browsing data through an encrypted tunnel.
You need to have ssh access to some server as endpoint to your tunnel.
Close all instances of Chrome first otherwise it will not work.

# create ssh tunnel and use it for chrome
ssh -D 8080 -N me@my.server.com 
google-chrome --proxy-server=socks5://127.0.0.1:8080

On windows the first command should not work (unless you have some ssh emulation installed).
What I do is use putty to create a tunnel instead, it's pretty easy.
The second command should run on Windows (haven't tested it). Maybe replace "google-chrome" by the right executable name for Windows.

Last edited by rolf (May 25 2017)

#6 May 26 2017

samer
Admin

nefe_lpmk wrote:
MrClass wrote:
nefe_lpmk wrote:

Hi guys,

Cheers!

Nope, just a long time Firefox user that recently switched to chrome. If you know it , doesn't mean everyone does.

You can do something similar in Firefox. Go to: about:preferences#search
The "keyword" column allows you to set a shortcut (for example "y" for youtube).

Board footer