LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 14 2017

AVOlio

Hyper X cloud 2

So i'm stuck on buying between the Cloud 2 headset or the revolver.
I've tried the revolver in Spotnet but never tried the cloud 2.
To make my mind i need to try it, most of all try the 7.1 surround on it.

So does anyone know a place where i can try the cloud 2, or even perhaps lend me their own for example to try?

Other than that, which one do you think i should get?

#2 February 14 2017

serouj

Re: Hyper X cloud 2

I bought it as a gift for my brother, it's a great heavy duty headset and costs less than the Revolver - it comes in a really slick box with a small bag to carry it around - we could've arranged a meeting for you to try it out but he's studying abroad.

Last edited by serouj (February 14 2017)

#3 February 14 2017

anayman_k7

I have the Cloud 1 core, I watched several reviews of the new revolver and I have to say that Cloud1/2 are still a better headphones, build quality and comfort and even better looking, as for 7.1 I have no idea if it is better or not.

#4 February 14 2017

AVOlio

serouj wrote:

I bought it as a gift for my brother, it's a great heavy duty headset and costs less than the Revolver - it comes in a really slick box with a small bag to carry it around - we could've arranged a meeting for you to try it out but he's studying abroad.

Thanks for the offer bro, unfortunately bad timing.
How about you, did you try the headset? What do you think about the 7.1 surround on it? Is it a preference that would make you choose the cloud 2 instead of the revolver, or Bleh...?

anayman_k7 wrote:

I have the Cloud 1 core, I watched several reviews of the new revolver and I have to say that Cloud1/2 are still a better headphones, build quality and comfort and even better looking, as for 7.1 I have no idea if it is better or not.

I just want to know if the 7.1 is that big of a deal that makes me wanna choose cloud 2 over revolver.
Cause aesthetically i found the revolver to be more "attractive and pretty" as for the cloud 2, it looks like a simple headset.
Question is if the 7.1 is worth it.

#5 February 14 2017

anayman_k7

the 7.1 is not worth, even if you find the revolver to be prettier, the cloud2 with its metal frame is considered to be much more durable.

#6 February 15 2017

Mom

I have the cloud II , most of people say that the 7.1 surround is not worth it and basically it's because of it being emulated, which is a little bit right. But in my case, I play CS GO, and I need to know where the enemy exactly is so it helps me tons and gives me an advantage, eventhough when you use the 7.1 for the first time you'll feel like the sounds are a little bit weird and wrong but you'll get used to it. That's my opinion... i hope it helps

#7 February 15 2017

MrClass

Audiophile here. Forget all this stupid "gaming headset" nonsense. Let me bring you into the light.

Any headset that has the right soundstage, comfort, and lows/mids/highs (frequency response), can be a headset for gaming; can be open versus close. Usually hardware manufacturers just make shitty cans and stick a mic to it and call it a gaming headset. Pure gimmick.

I highly recommend checking this video by Zeos Pantera (highly underrated youtuber), he provides proper reviews for audio equipment. He explains what makes a great gaming headphones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63BxrNuXnYg

Forget the accessories that come with the headset. The Cloud I and Cloud II are practically the same, except for the mic part, Cloud II comes with a noise cancelling mic.

Both Cloud I and Cloud II are based on the Takstar Pro80 Headphones which have Beyerdynamics drivers. They are great headphones if not the best entry level gaming headphones.

Don't get the Revolver; you're better off with the much better Cloud II. I had the Cloud I but blew it (my fault), then got the Revolver. Though didn't like the clarity and depth as much as the Cloud I.

Get the Cloud II to benefit from the noise cancelling mic.

Now regarding surround sound. It is crucial you get a proper DAC that supports virtual surround and an AMP to unleash the full potential of the headset. Basically a good sound card with a built in amp is what you need (can be internal or external). Something like the Astro MixAmp (external DAC/AMP), or something like the Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus (internal DAC/AMP) is great.

Last edited by MrClass (February 15 2017)

#8 February 16 2017

AVOlio

Mom wrote:

I have the cloud II , most of people say that the 7.1 surround is not worth it and basically it's because of it being emulated, which is a little bit right. But in my case, I play CS GO, and I need to know where the enemy exactly is so it helps me tons and gives me an advantage, eventhough when you use the 7.1 for the first time you'll feel like the sounds are a little bit weird and wrong but you'll get used to it. That's my opinion... i hope it helps

Thank you for your input man ,  so from what you're saying the 7.1 does matter,  and even if I don't get used to it for example I can turn it off.

MrClass wrote:

Audiophile here. Forget all this stupid "gaming headset" nonsense. Let me bring you into the light.

Any headset that has the right soundstage, comfort, and lows/mids/highs (frequency response), can be a headset for gaming; can be open versus close. Usually hardware manufacturers just make shitty cans and stick a mic to it and call it a gaming headset. Pure gimmick.

I highly recommend checking this video by Zeos Pantera (highly underrated youtuber), he provides proper reviews for audio equipment. He explains what makes a great gaming headphones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63BxrNuXnYg

Forget the accessories that come with the headset. The Cloud I and Cloud II are practically the same, except for the mic part, Cloud II comes with a noise cancelling mic.

Both Cloud I and Cloud II are based on the Takstar Pro80 Headphones which have Beyerdynamics drivers. They are great headphones if not the best entry level gaming headphones.

Don't get the Revolver; you're better off with the much better Cloud II. I had the Cloud I but blew it (my fault), then got the Revolver. Though didn't like the clarity and depth as much as the Cloud I.

Get the Cloud II to benefit from the noise cancelling mic.

Now regarding surround sound. It is crucial you get a proper DAC that supports virtual surround and an AMP to unleash the full potential of the headset. Basically a good sound card with a built in amp is what you need (can be internal or external). Something like the Astro MixAmp (external DAC/AMP), or something like the Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus (internal DAC/AMP) is great.

Thank you for your input as well,  from what you said,  i should avoid the revolver and stick with the cloud 2.

Also in addition to what you said about getting sound cards or amps etc,  I'm not that detailed of a person regarding headphones,  I'm aiming to just plug and play on the board :).

#9 February 17 2017

LifeEngineer

MrClass wrote:

Hey man! I have some questions for you since you are an audiophile; we can benefit from your knowledge :)

1-Can you please check these for me? http://www.bloodyusa.com/product.php?pid=12&id=114
They are very cheap (~33$) and I'm not an audiophile but i wanna know if they will provide some decent good sound!

2-The above will be used on a PS4; do you have any idea about the DAC in the ps4?! Is it good?
Should I opt for a surround 7.1 headset or I won't see lots of benefits there?!

#10 March 1 2017

AVOlio

So i went ahead and bought the cloud 2.

is it just me cause i don't feel the 7.1 surround on it.
the 7.1 light is on, do i need to install some sort of drivers or something?

#11 March 2 2017

LifeEngineer

AVOlio wrote:

So i went ahead and bought the cloud 2.

is it just me cause i don't feel the 7.1 surround on it.
the 7.1 light is on, do i need to install some sort of drivers or something?

Congrats! I bought the cloud 2 too on Monday!

No, no need for any driver installation of any kind!

Check if the game itself supports surround!

I used it on my PS4 on BF1! There's an option to switch to surround sound and I was able to notice the difference (not major though)!

#12 March 2 2017

AVOlio

I did, in BF1 pc,  like the difference is so little,  and you cant tell from which way the sound is coming from.
I also tried it with some Ac3 audio movies that I have,  5.1 channels,  nothing,  no difference than when it's turned off.

Also the sound quality is not that impressive either,  by impressive what I mean is immersive,  it's not,  I felt they're just regular headphones, with regular sound,  even the bass I felt like was missing,  no bass at all.  When I tried the cloud revolver in spotnet, I was amazed by the bass, specifically In the intro of BF1 campaign.
When I tried the cloud 2 on bf1 campaign same as in the cafe, I felt disappointed.

#13 March 2 2017

anayman_k7

AVOlio wrote:

I did, in BF1 pc,  like the difference is so little,  and you cant tell from which way the sound is coming from.
I also tried it with some Ac3 audio movies that I have,  5.1 channels,  nothing,  no difference than when it's turned off.

Also the sound quality is not that impressive either,  by impressive what I mean is immersive,  it's not,  I felt they're just regular headphones, with regular sound,  even the bass I felt like was missing,  no bass at all.  When I tried the cloud revolver in spotnet, I was amazed by the bass, specifically In the intro of BF1 campaign.
When I tried the cloud 2 on bf1 campaign same as in the cafe, I felt disappointed.

Is it plugged using 3.5mm or USB? It is weird you felt it normal

#14 March 2 2017

LifeEngineer

Well to be honest, it looks mental to me!
I had a cheap headphone with not a good sound!
I watched reviews about the Cloud II and most of them say that the sound quality is amazing!
I bought it, I wasn't so impressed! Yes it feels better definitely but not amazing! I expected to be blown away!
Maybe I should have lowered my expectations or maybe I misinterpreted those reviews!
Anyways I like it and will definitely keep it and enjoy the hell out of it!

Last edited by LifeEngineer (March 2 2017)

#15 March 2 2017

MrClass

Guys, as I said before. You need a proper AMP and a DAC to power the headphones. The Cloud X and X 2 are amazing when properly powered.

#16 March 2 2017

anayman_k7

MrClass wrote:

Guys, as I said before. You need a proper AMP and a DAC to power the headphones. The Cloud X and X 2 are amazing when properly powered.

Definitely, I wonder what LifeEngineer has as a sound card in his PC, mine is Audio Boost on the MSI Z97-G45 and I do plug it only in the back connectors because the front connector suffer from noise interference.

#17 March 2 2017

user

The thread is really old. But anyway, I own both the cloud and the cloud 2 from hyperx and I honestly, I prefer the first over the second because I don't like the buttons for volume control instead of the wheel.

Also, I think they both leak sound outside if you are listening to something loud.

#18 March 2 2017

LifeEngineer

anayman_k7 wrote:

Definitely, I wonder what LifeEngineer has as a sound card in his PC, mine is Audio Boost on the MSI Z97-G45 and I do plug it only in the back connectors because the front connector suffer from noise interference.

I'm on PS4 man! But I still felt the difference!
By default the VSS7.1 is not advertised to work on ps4, but through a simple trick it works! And I felt the difference!

Trick here if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpYUdHhKw_w

Board footer