LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 13 2017

Adnan

My HTC One M9 Decided to Brick Itself

Hello,

The last time it was working, I received a Whatsapp call before the phone powered off probably due to low battery. Upon reboot, it booted into the bootloader.

The information displayed in the Bootloader are:
    1. Software status: Modified
    2. Locked
    3. S-ON

What I tried:
    1. I added a ROM to an SD card by extracting* the rom.zip file from the RUU official installer from HTC.
    2. I attempted flashing the ROM to the phone using the "Apply update from SD card" option in recovery mode.
    3. The installation fails with "Unable to check footer" error.

*I didn't extract the content of the zip file, I extracted the zip file from the EXE

I googled the error and found that it might be a download problem, so I downloaded the RUU again and extracted the zip file:
    1. I booted into recovery mode.
    2. Got greeted with the errors below. Tried "Apply update from SD card" anyway but the errors prevented the install altogether.

Supported API: 3
handle_cota_install: install cwpkg to /cache/cota/cwpkg.zip
handle_cota_install: install cwprop to /cache/cota/cw.prop
E:mount /cache fail, format it and mount again [i](at this point I attempted wiping the cache and the whole phone, nada)[/i]
E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument).. try emmc mount
E:Can't find device node for mount point /cache
[i]Repeat errors x2[/i]

The errors I get when attempting to Apply the update from the SD card anyway:

E:failed to set up expected mounts for install; aborting
Installation aborted.
E:failed to mount /devlog (Invalid argument).. try emmc mount

I tried rebooting without the SD card just to check if the errors persist, they do persist.
The bigger problem is that none of my computers running either Linux or Windows are detecting the phone. I tried 2 different USB cables.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Adnan

#2 February 14 2017

Adnan

Re: My HTC One M9 Decided to Brick Itself

A few USB cables later, seeking help through IRC and trying to

#lsusb

to find any sign of the phone, I have come to the conclusion that it's dead. HTC never again.

Last edited by Adnan (February 14 2017)

#3 February 14 2017

Draguen

hey, have you thought of sending it to the official HTC reseller for repairs ? it will probably be costly but you can always ask them to call you before doing anything for a cost estimate and refuse.

it's just a random thought, but dead for dead, you can't lose anything trying.

#4 February 15 2017

ballad

damn that's upsetting

#5 February 16 2017

Adnan

Draguen wrote:

hey, have you thought of sending it to the official HTC reseller for repairs ? it will probably be costly but you can always ask them to call you before doing anything for a cost estimate and refuse.

it's just a random thought, but dead for dead, you can't lose anything trying.

Thank you for the suggestion. But as you said it will probably be costly and a 80km trip to Beirut is too troublesome. I'll be taking it to a pawn shop just to see how would they try to fix it.

ballad wrote:

damn that's upsetting

39042511-2.jpg

Board footer