LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 15 2007

Chris

[Help] Processors

Alright, this summer, I want to build a new computer as I need an upgrade, or just got for a Mac. (I don't know yet...)
Either way I want to ask you guys which way should I go, yup its the old classic question: Intel or AMD.

The thing is, AMD might not have the RAW speed of an Intel chip, but it can take a lot, it makes up for it in power.
I feel that Intel have this obsession with speed, they have this mindset that speed is the only thing in their processors, which is not true, they are too engaged in the speed of the chip and not the stability and performance. Intel keeps pushing the speed, and also pushing the size of the leads and transistors smaller and smaller to get a smaller chip and less power consumption... but blah it doesn't help performance a bit and really hurts stability in my opinion.

Anyway that's what I think, even though I have been using a Pentium4 for four and half years now. I am also going for a dual-core processor, I won't need a quad, and I think they were released too early...

So what do you guys think? Which way should I go?
You should also know that I multi-task a lot... so I need something really powerful.

#2 May 15 2007

karim soubra

Re: [Help] Processors

intel e6600 if you are going to get it now
else wait till end of summer intel will be launching a new core by then
i wouldn'6t recommend amd at the time they still use 90nm architecture and their awaited platform 4*4 has proven to be sub intel performance

#3 May 15 2007

Chris

I see, I don't know I'm still pretty confused... I'm not a fanboy of any, I just want the best.

How are the Core 2 Duo E6850 processors?

Last edited by Chris (May 15 2007)

#4 May 15 2007

mezin

mac

#5 May 15 2007

samer
Admin

iMac :) - or, E6600, as karim suggested, (it costs around $340)

#6 May 15 2007

Chris

Yeah, but the iMac is over $ 2000 (aie!!!!) But shit people... they're so sweet

Why the E6600? The E6850 is faster... 3.0 GHz.

Since you folks are recommending Intel, here's what I have in mind:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00 GHz
2GB RAM DDR2-1066
nVidia GeForce 8800 or 7950

Also what kind of PSU will I need? Something over 600W for sure, right?

Last edited by Chris (May 15 2007)

#7 May 15 2007

Padre

ba3doun da'a adime ;)

#8 May 15 2007

rolf

http://www.systemshootouts.org/processors.html

Find the best price/performance ratio using the above resource.

#9 May 15 2007

Chris

Alright, will look into it...

#10 May 15 2007

karim soubra

first e6600 is the best bang for bucks plus with good cooling you can overclock it to 3+ ghz
second Definitely an 8 series nvidia vga since amd came up with a lemon (r600 not evev as good as the 8800 gts)
third a min of 500w psu is a must (sli certified is a plus)

on another note i would wait for the dd3(ram) motherboards will be available in the summer

#11 May 15 2007

karim soubra

#12 May 15 2007

Chris

I don't want to overclock my hardware, and the E6850 is not that much more expensive.
Waiting for DDR3, means everything will be a lot more expensive, and I'll have to wait more for the prices to go down, even if DDR3 has many good advantages. So that means, I'll be getting my PC in mid-2008... If the price difference isn't that great between DDR3 and DDR2 mobos, then sure, I'll go DDR3, either ways I'm not doing anything before July.

I'm not sure a 500W PSU would do it, a 400W PSU is barely enough to run a Pentium4 with a nVidia GeForce 7300GT, 600W is needed to run it optimally, so I imagine, I will need something much more powerful for a Dual Core and a GeForce 8800.

If I'm going to wait that long, and wait and wait and wait... for new shit to come out, and become affordable etc... I might as well save fro an iMac or a MBP... I'd like that way better than a PC.

//Edit:

OK, screw PCs, I'm going for a 20" Core 2 Duo iMac, the whole thing will cost something around $1800 (originally $1500, but I want to customize a few things).

Oddly, a Core 2 Duo 20" iMac with 512 megs of RAM was for $ 2000 on Amazon (O_o)
Anyway I'm getting it straight from Apple, I have relatives in Europe, and know some people who come and go to the US which makes things cheaper and easier for me.

Alright, enough blabbering now, time to start saving some cash  (you too Samer )

Last edited by Chris (May 16 2007)

Board footer