LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 November 29 2016

LifeEngineer

Re: PS4 Pro anyone?

Excuse my ignorance but can you please explain a little bit the pictures above; I can see many things:
A pc, a mouse, a keyboard, a pc screen, a TV, speakers, a PS4 pro and an XBOX controller!
Are these related, or just happened to be in the same frame/installation?

Can you play on ps4 with a mouse and keyboard?! That would be good for me and my Battlefield 1!

#52 November 29 2016

Tech Guru

LifeEngineer wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but can you please explain a little bit the pictures above; I can see many things:
A pc, a mouse, a keyboard, a pc screen, a TV, speakers, a PS4 pro and an XBOX controller!
Are these related, or just happened to be in the same frame/installation?

Can you play on ps4 with a mouse and keyboard?! That would be good for me and my Battlefield 1!

I did a custom made table for the Desktop / Pro masking all the wires / audio-visual cables / etc.. -I am doing final tweaks touchs .

I use the Xbox One Controller for MS with is Receiver fir Playing certaing titles on a native 2160p / 60hz on the 55 inch tv set - Targeting more future HDR Titles since Pascal is capable of outputting an HDR/10 bit signal to a compatiable 4k/hdr TV that accepts a 10bit signal and gas a wide color gamut. I found the Xbox One Controller for Windows 10 a very reliable / comfortable controller compared to my old Xbox 360 Controller.

Using a Key Board / Mouse for the Pro is accessible using the Xim 4 Adaptor I got (that tricks the Pro that as if it is receiving a Dual Shock 4 Input / knowing that  Sony’s PlayStation 4 works with a mouse and keyboard. This makes it more convenient to type, use the web browser, and generally get around more quickly. Some games even support mouse and keyboard controls by default. You can if use the mouse of keyboard bluetooth dongle for a seamless wireless operation. PS4 Pro also includes three USB 3.0 ports, which is one more than the launch console.

Last edited by Tech Guru (November 29 2016)

#53 November 29 2016

Tech Guru

A technical advice for PS 4 Pro / Pascal Owners who are willing to game on 4k/60hz HDR using a 10bit Signal and 4 4 4 chroma over HDMI 2.0

I  4k 60 hz rgb 444  with a 10 bit hdr signal exceeds current HDMI 2.0 bandwidth ; DP 1.3 is required. 4k 60 4 2 0 subsampming (compressed)  with a 10 bit HDR signal can be passed through HDMI 2.0. For HDR contents Detected ( Games or Media) the PS4 Pro will automatically switch to 4 2 0 and for non HDR (8 bit) it will stick with RGB " enough bandwidth". I think leaving the PS4 Pro on auto will do the job.  It is an HDMI limitation. RGB is better for HDR but downgrading to 8 bit vs 10 bit of compressed colors of 4 2 0 the later is better.

#54 December 4 2016

Tech Guru

Last of Us Part 2 Official Trailer

https://youtu.be/XlGhXNLN7G8

Death Stranding Runs at Native 4K on PS4 Pro

https://gamerant.com/death-stranding-native-4k-ps4-pro/

This what is great about Sony Exclusives They Are Very Optimized and you enjoy a great game-play /story with  native 1440p or 2160p on the Pro squeezing each bit of power from the pro  to achieve  that -  which make it worth the investment for only a USD 400 Console. (525 USD in Leb from 1 Year Warranty from Fattal)

To Win it is a Win Win Situation - To have both a  End Gaming Rig + a PS4 Pro and a 4K HDR TV. Final Fantasy 15 Looks Phenomenal on 4k HDR , a true implementation show casing the power of HDR as a next generation Leap in visuals.

#55 December 4 2016

elchebib

Good time to be a gamer. Yesterday's PSX conference was awesome and the quality of the big budget titles coming from Sony alone is worth it.

The opening and closing sequence of the conference were stellar. Naughty Dog has proven time and time again that they are one of the best, if not the best, game developers out there right now. It was so clever of Sony to acquire them because the quality of games they are pumping out is improving game by game.

#56 December 5 2016

Red7

That TV is bigger than my future.
Congratulations for your new set, it looks great.

For me the prices (especially for the games) and the fact that Sony milks you for a subscription to play online (on unstable and often not working servers) is a big turnoff.
I was a big PS3 player and there's nothing like the freedom to play online whenever you want, instead of paying monthly/yearly (which by the way increases a lot the final price if you want to compare to other gaming devices).

The same goes for building a PC in Lebanon, you pay a lot more for what is considered rather medium than high-end gaming.

Last edited by Red7 (December 5 2016)

#57 December 5 2016

elchebib

Red7 wrote:

That TV is bigger than my future.
Congratulations for your new set, it looks great.

For me the prices (especially for the games) and the fact that Sony milks you for a subscription to play online (on unstable and often not working servers) is a big turnoff.
I was a big PS3 player and there's nothing like the freedom to play online whenever you want, instead of paying monthly/yearly (which by the way increases a lot the final price if you want to compare to other gaming devices).

The same goes for building a PC in Lebanon, you pay a lot more for what is considered rather medium than high-end gaming.

It is true that paying a subscription is annoying especially when the previous generation was for free. However, when it comes to spending money on gaming, you can go all out or you can be selective. I have been selective with my games on the PS4 and have been only getting the games that I need to play, whether online or not. The last couple of days during PSX 2016 have shown that future games are looking awesome. Sony has some huge number of great exclusives coming up in the next years, not to mention what third parties have in store.

When you are selective with your games (and you can buy used games too at a reduced price), paying for a yearly subscription is the cost of a single games.

Anyways, everyone has their priotities but gaming can be relatively cheaper than you might think.

Cheers

#58 December 6 2016

Tech Guru

My New Rule of Thumb:

High End PC Gaming + PS4 Pro & 4K HDR TV (at Least 55 inch) for really strong Sony exclusives , this hybrid system I am currently experiencing , quadrupled my Entertainment Factor.  Especially that the PRO is actually outputting a resolution higher than 1080p and some titles includes HDR will leverage the Exclusives experience while lazy laying back on the Bed with the mounted TV on the wall.

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 6 2016)

#59 March 16 2017

LifeEngineer

Guys, some revive for this old thread.

I own a PS4. I'm using it a lot (on daily basis).
I'm seriously considering the PS4 pro just for the benefits of the better framerate and the advantages of boost mode.
I'm on a smart 46" FHD TV. So no 4K or HDR anytime soon.
Referring to this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251 , some games really benefit from the boost mode. I mostly play racing games like Asseto Corsa, Dirt Rally and some FPS like Battlefield 1.

What do you recommend? Did anyone of you make this crazy jump and unworthy (according to most reviews) switch?

Thx.

#60 April 3 2017

Tech Guru

LifeEngineer wrote:

I'm seriously considering the PS4 pro just for the benefits of the better framerate and the advantages of boost mode.
Referring to this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324251 , some games really benefit from the boost mode. I mostly play racing games like Asseto Corsa, Dirt Rally and some FPS like Battlefield 1.

What do you recommend? Did anyone of you make this crazy jump and unworthy (according to most reviews) switch?

Thx.

Go with the pro mate , the pro is capable to output 60 fps on Battle Field One , Hitman , and Titan Fall 2 all run at native 1440p / 60 fps with much better graphics compared to Dark Souls 3. I am a PC Hardcore Gamer and I have a high end gaming pc - I bought the pro linked to a 4k hdr 55 inch tv for its price its a very capable console. Checker Board = 1920 × (1080×2) = 1920 × 2160p base resolution which is a good jump on upscaled games too using the checker board technique. Boost mode added too some benefits to unpatched games for the Pro , with some additional fps on unlocked games. Great exclusives with some HDR awesomness make the pro a good deal.

#61 April 3 2017

elchebib

LifeEngineer wrote:

Thx.

If you have the extra cash laying around, a PS4 Pro is a good option. However, considering that you are not going to upgrade your TV anytime soon, I personally wouldn't. I am in the same aisle as you and have been using my PS4 for all my gaming needs. I have a Vizio 1080p 65 inch TV and have not encountered any issues whatsoever while playing games on the system. Sure, there are PS4 Pro benefits for some games, but I doubt there is any appreciable differences to affect my enjoyment of playing these games. At least that's the situation now.

My opinion is that if games start to be dramatically better on the PS4 Pro, I will get one then. For now, my PS4 is sufficient and does the job well.

@Tech_Guru's arguments are valid also and I can understand why the PS4 Pro is important in his situation.

Last edited by elchebib (April 3 2017)

#62 April 3 2017

Tech Guru

elchebib wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

Thx.

If you have the extra cash laying around, a PS4 Pro is a good option. However, considering that you are not going to upgrade your TV anytime soon, I personally wouldn't. I am in the same aisle as you and have been using my PS4 for all my gaming needs. I have a Vizio 1080p 65 inch TV and have not encountered any issues whatsoever while playing games on the system. Sure, there are PS4 Pro benefits for some games, but I doubt there is any appreciable differences to affect my enjoyment of playing these games. At least that's the situation now.

My opinion is that if games start to be dramatically better on the PS4 Pro, I will get one then. For now, my PS4 is sufficient and does the job well.

@Tech_Guru's arguments are valid also and I can understand why the PS4 Pro is important in his situation.

As a Side Note Clearification:

Even if you have a 1080p or FHD a lot of patched pro games downsamlpe from 1440p or 1800p (checkerboard) or few native 4k (like Fifa 17) to 1080p, in such situation the image fidelity on 1080p will increase due to super sampling (more AA and less textures poping out). Added that some AAA titles,  which are pro patched , are using performance mode you can toggle within the game that increases fps from 30 to 60fps on 1080p. Finally , PS4 Pro "Boost Mode" which works regardless on PS4 pro patched or not parched games since it is simply an OC for the CPU/GPU/& Memory frequencies) ncreases fps on unlocked games and target 30fps on locked capped fps games  ( with no dips in graphically intense scenarios ) that the regular PS4 can encounter (example: Assassin Creed Syndicate)

Last edited by Tech Guru (April 4 2017)

#63 April 3 2017

ManOwaRR

I still wonder how u guys can play at 60 fps , let alone 30 , im playing all games now @165fps on 2k asus screen its a wonderfull experience , once u try it u can never go back to 60 fps

#64 April 3 2017

elchebib

ManOwaRR wrote:

I still wonder how u guys can play at 60 fps , let alone 30 , im playing all games now @165fps on 2k asus screen its a wonderfull experience , once u try it u can never go back to 60 fps

Higher frame rate means a better gaming experience most of the time. However, not all games support this high frame rate and its not all about the frame rate. Some games even with a low frame rate are very enjoyable to play and experience. Cases in point are Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and The Last of Us among others.

But hey, if you enjoy that level of gaming, thumbs up for you

#65 April 4 2017

Tech Guru

ManOwaRR wrote:

I have a similar setup for Battle Field One , Doom , and other FPS Games - using ROG Swift PG279Q /1080ti/I7  but comparatively to the PRO selling price , you cannot compare taking the pro/performance ratio alone it is great for what is it and exclusives it has.

#66 April 4 2017

portaxeplayer

Tech Guru wrote:

Go with the pro mate , the pro is capable to output 60 fps on Battle Field One , Hitman , and Titan Fall 2 all run at native 1440p / 60 fps with much better graphics compared to Dark Souls 3. I am a PC Hardcore Gamer and I have a high end gaming pc - I bought the pro linked to a 4k hdr 55 inch tv for its price its a very capable console. Checker Board = 1920 × (1080×2) = 1920 × 2160p base resolution which is a good jump on upscaled games too using the checker board technique. Boost mode added too some benefits to unpatched games for the Pro , with some additional fps on unlocked games. Great exclusives with some HDR awesomness make the pro a good deal.

Hi Tech Guru, what television are you using for the PS4 Pro? Interested in knowing how you're experiencing HDR and how you find it! Thanks!

#67 April 4 2017

Tech Guru

portaxeplayer wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

Hi Tech Guru, what television are you using for the PS4 Pro? Interested in knowing how you're experiencing HDR and how you find it! Thanks!

Iam using an entry level 4k HDR 55 inch (Samsung KU 7000) and I will upgrade soon to an OLED B6 from LG. The KU is a great TV for its price and it has an HDR Mode on 2160p that reduces input lag since HDR on 2160/60hz needs a lot of processing which increases input lag.You can tip higher and grab a Samsung KS 9500 with Quantum Dot Technology  (with a Free Note 5) Currently @ 2250 USD (CTC) the 55" - The KS series are Ultra HDR Premium certified TVs (Brightness Hiting 1000nits and blacks below 0.05 nits) but they have a high price tag. I did a comprehensive research and read reviews on Rtings.com and 4K.com , the KU 7000 / 7350 (curved) are very aggressive in pricing and provide a good around experience , HDR in it is very good for gaming /HDR 4K Youtube videos (Few) and HDR 4K Movies on NETflix  . Knowing that some TVs accept a 10bit HDR signal and they detect an HDR source , displaying that, but they do not have a wide color gamut covering more than 80% of the P3 color space. Meaning in actual experience HDR =SDR nothing change in colors - watch up for show sales persons and do your research.

Last edited by Tech Guru (April 4 2017)

#68 April 4 2017

portaxeplayer

Tech Guru wrote:

Iam using an entry level 4k HDR 55 inch (Samsung KU 7000) and I will upgrade soon to an OLED B6 from LG. The KU is a great TV for its price and it has an HDR Mode on 2160p that reduces input lag since HDR on 2160/60hz needs a lot of processing which increases input lag.You can tip higher and grab a Samsung KS 9500 with Quantum Dot Technology  (with a Free Note 5) Currently @ 2250 USD (CTC) the 55" - The KS series are Ultra HDR Premium certified TVs (Brightness Hiting 1000nits and blacks below 0.05 nits) but they have a high price tag. I did a comprehensive research and read reviews on Rtings.com and 4K.com , the KU 7000 / 7350 (curved) are very aggressive in pricing and provide a good around experience , HDR in it is very good for gaming /HDR 4K Youtube videos (Few) and HDR 4K Movies on NETflix  . Knowing that some TVs accept a 10bit HDR signal and they detect an HDR source , displaying that, but they do not have a wide color gamut covering more than 80% of the P3 color space. Meaning in actual experience HDR =SDR nothing change in colors - watch up for show sales persons and do your research.

Thank you for the thorough answer, I really appreciate it. I'm running a 55" KS8500 myself and I've been wanting to know how other people feel about the whole 4K/HDR thing. I've also researched deeply on many many websites including the two you mentioned (rtings.com is my favorite) before I pulled the trigger on the KS8500 over the KS9500 simply because I couldn't justify the extra $500 that went into slightly better audio and build quality (image is practically indistinguishable, plus it's also Edge-Lit so no full local dimming as well).

I've been on the fence with OLED due to their relatively lower nits capacity as well as their durability in terms of color fading. A KS8500 was a perfect TV to make me wait for true 12-bit OLEDs with full Dolby Vision support and 4K@60Hz with 4:4:4 with HDMI 2.1

The PS4 Pro is fantastic in its support for games and HDR, Horizon: Zero Dawn was absolutely stunning. I use the Xbox One S to watch 4K UHD Movies and the focus is completely different than games, whereas games push vivid HDR, movies like to push a more natural and slightly dim appearance.

Thanks for giving me the chance to "fech khel2e"

#69 April 4 2017

LifeEngineer

Guys, i have the ps4 pro and a old gen smart samsung tv, FHD.
How much does a relatively good 4k/HDR TV cost? What are your recommendations? I know those stuff can be very expensive but I'm looking for best value/price ratio. The tv needs to be at least 46".

#70 April 4 2017

ManOwaRR

Tech Guru wrote:
ManOwaRR wrote:

I have a similar setup for Battle Field One , Doom , and other FPS Games - using ROG Swift PG279Q /1080ti/I7  but comparatively to the PRO selling price , you cannot compare taking the pro/performance ratio alone it is great for what is it and exclusives it has.

actually    still pc >>>> all consoles

as for the price performance ratio   ,  i always get my games for 20-30$  while ps4 60$+

ps4 is a lose lose situation in the long run  ,   even not that long   run  if you like to play a lot of games like myself .

now tell me how is that ti treating you : :

i updated my system 1 week ago  running  2 of them  in sli mode with i7 7700k overclocked to 5ghz :

u dont wanna see that performance though  :)))))

#71 April 4 2017

elchebib

ManOwaRR wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
ManOwaRR wrote:

actually    still pc >>>> all consoles

as for the price performance ratio   ,  i always get my games for 20-30$  while ps4 60$+

ps4 is a lose lose situation in the long run  ,   even not that long   run  if you like to play a lot of games like myself .

now tell me how is that ti treating you : :

i updated my system 1 week ago  running  2 of them  in sli mode with i7 7700k overclocked to 5ghz :

u dont wanna see that performance though  :)))))

Yes. Consoles tend to become obsolete after a period of time. However, you have to take the cost into the equation. How much does your setup cost?

To my knowledge, upgrading graphics card is not cheap in addition to the RAM/Motherboard/CPU upgrades when these are needed. Its very true that PC's will always outperform consoles because PC's are modular. Consoles are static except if you want to upgrade the HDD.

Games cost are an issue and Steam outperforms all the other platforms when it comes to pricing and discounts. However, consoles are getting there and discounts abound in the PSN store. PS Plus is a major addition and for ~5 dollars per month you have access for free games. In addition, the games that Sony puts out (first party and exclusive third party) are stellar.

Then again, it all depends on your gaming needs and your preferred gaming method.

Either way, enjoy your gaming "thumbs up"

#72 April 5 2017

ManOwaRR

the new setup costed me 1087$ , but i had 1080 gtx x2 normal + cpu i7 5820k  , which i  sold to the shop i got i7700k + z270 msi xpower gaming platinum + cpu cooler and msi one + x2 1080ti  = difference was 1087$

the reason was  my old mobo and cpu had water cooling , there must have been a leak which burnt the motherboard , so i sold  what was left working  and got this new setup

Last edited by ManOwaRR (April 5 2017)

#73 April 5 2017

ManOwaRR

on a side now

1 gtx 1080ti can do 150fps @2k  on the highest quality of texture

i believe  pc still much better and safer choice  for the long run .

my setup will last for at least 4 years easy

i'am sure next year there's be a ps5 : , after the so called scorpio release

Board footer