LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 23 2016

LebMike

Introduction from someone who has moved to Lebanon

Greetings all,
Thank you for all the high quality posts. They have helped quite a bit with my settling into a life in Lebanon. The posts around shipping and internet were especially valuable. I look forward to being and active member and contributing back.

About myself:
I'm spend most my tech time reverse engineering, building infosec systems, working on big/medium data projects (data science, building, visualizations), and SDR and Amateur Radio experiments. My language of choice is Python3. For databases, I use whatever is best for the project, SQLite, Postgres, MySQL.

Happy to talk/contribute about any of the above and more.

Please let me know if you are aware of any good HAM/Amateur Radio supply stores.

#2 November 23 2016

Johnaudi

Re: Introduction from someone who has moved to Lebanon

Hello, and welcome! May we know where do you come from and why did you move to our "beautiful" country?

#3 November 23 2016

rolf

LebMike wrote:

Please let me know if you are aware of any good HAM/Amateur Radio supply stores.

Does Radio Shack still exist in Lebanon?
It's hard to find specific parts in a single place, but there are a couple of shops in Dora that have a a wide choice of cheap electronic parts, but mostly geared towards professionals and widely used parts (as it's often the case in Lebanon), so it might not have what you want. Hopefully someone else can help you with the exact address.
Welcome here!

#4 November 23 2016

LebMike

Johnaudi wrote:

Hello, and welcome! May we know where do you come from and why did you move to our "beautiful" country?

North America. I bounced around a lot between the US and Canada. I have family here, through marriage and I really like it here. I feel safer in Beirut than I ever did in most major American cities. Canada is another story, nothing happens there. People just bump into you and say 'sorry'.

Last edited by LebMike (November 23 2016)

#5 November 23 2016

Georges00

Welcome to the forum!
Parts might be hard to find but like rolf said check the shops in Dora. There is EKT2 (Katrangi) too, never been there but people recommend it.
To Rolf:
Radio Shack closed in Lebanon a long time ago. It was actually bought by another company (maybe Sprint, too lazy to search) and started closing it's shops or getting rebranded as far as I know.

#6 November 23 2016

rolf

LebMike wrote:

People just bump into you and say 'sorry'.

Sounds familiar. Many places in Europe are like that. The variation would be whether they say sorry or yell at you, and in what language.
Lebanon is Lebanon, nice in many ways. Yet it's surrounded by Syria, Israel and the sea. And even within Lebanon, people can be strangely hostile to you when you're coming from another place in the country. So after a while it can feel small and life can feel somewhat futile and hopeless. It's also problematic for quality of life / lifestyle, health, and safety standards.

I just wanted to give my opinion. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Last edited by rolf (November 23 2016)

#7 November 24 2016

Mero55

Hey!

Welcome to our awesome country and community!

rolf wrote:
LebMike wrote:

Does Radio Shack still exist in Lebanon?

Georges00 wrote:

Radio Shack closed in Lebanon a long time ago. It was actually bought by another company (maybe Sprint, too lazy to search) and started closing it's shops or getting rebranded as far as I know.

RadioShack announced bankruptcy a while ago(a year ago?) and had to close down more than a handful of stores globally(including Lebanon ofcourse...)

LebMike wrote:

Please let me know if you are aware of any good HAM/Amateur Radio supply stores

Check out Katarngi(EKT) (as @Geroges00 recommended) in Jnah,he usually has what I need and their staff is pretty helpful,though he is a bit pricey....
Here's their Website.

#8 November 25 2016

Flakk

Welcome to Lebanon and the forums !

I had some interest in HAM/Amateur Radio a while ago, you should check these places
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6068156 … et&fref=nf
http://www.ral.org.lb/

#9 November 25 2016

Vayl

Welcome :)

#10 November 26 2016

mesa177

First of all, welcome to the forums.

For the places who sell HAM/radio supplies, as others have mentioned Katranji (or EKT ) is a possibility and RS-Online is an outlet to buy stuff from the UK (mind you they are pricey). RadioShack definitely closed all over Lebanon a while ago.

Now for electronics and parts, you might find what you need at Incotel on Doura, same for Boujikian Electronics. There's also Kubi Electronics but it's deep into Burj Brajneh so I wouldn't venture into the area on my own (you can take the Sawi bus number 12 to end of station and walk all the way to Arab Mosque; that's what I do to get there). Kanafani is also an option, but usually his products are a bit old so you might wanna watch out for that.

Board footer