LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 August 22 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Re: Peer-to-peer shopping network

I am afraid of the selfishness of Lebanese, even though you can pay him 10-20$ as bonus, Lebanese are lazy specially for tech stuff as there are not many to like PC parts,camera lenses,cables,SD cards...it will really be a chance.
I would for example ask for a Fujifilm 27mm from B&H or other big camera stores in the US or a Geforce 1070 at Christmas, but I don't think there will be travelers every weeks going to the US ready to buy tech stuff, the ''pay online and deliver to traveler's hotel'' option though is a great thing.
Oh BTW you should put an option for the product's size (height,length in cm) and weight, I wonder if anyone is ready to carry a big Geforce box or HTC Vive

#27 August 22 2016

Adlouni

vegetaleb wrote:

the ''pay online and deliver to traveler's hotel'' option though is a great thing.

You mean you buy something online and pay with your own card and deliver it to the traveler's address?
What happens if he stole it and disappeared? I'm a very doubtful person hehe.

#28 August 22 2016

Mane

Hey Vegetaleb,  I didn't understand what  you meant "you're afraid of the selfishness", you think people will be lazy to buy and deliver things for others?

Concerning your questions, well, since there are so many young Lebanese working abroad and visiting their families often, we hope tink that there won't be a shortage of travelers. Also, you're not risking anything when posting a request: you only have to pay when you found a traveler that meets your needs. This might take time, of course, but you're not losing anything by trying. So who knows, maybe there will be someone traveling with an empty suitcase.

And yes, we unfortunately cannot let people buy the items themselves and send it to the travelers address for the reason that Adlouni highlighted..

#29 August 22 2016

TheStunMan

Since i'm having an interest with this project i suggest to do some pro visio diagram to explain the whole procedure to noobs. Also i recommend you to have some kind of legal advice when this whole thing is setup and ready to officially launch since you need to operate within the legal terms and be ready for any file claim or similar in the future.

#30 August 23 2016

Mane

TheStunMan wrote:

Since i'm having an interest with this project i suggest to do some pro visio diagram to explain the whole procedure to noobs. Also i recommend you to have some kind of legal advice when this whole thing is setup and ready to officially launch since you need to operate within the legal terms and be ready for any file claim or similar in the future.

Hey, excellent idea about the visio diagram! I'll PM you about this. Yes, we're covering the legal part.

#31 August 23 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Mane wrote:

Hey Vegetaleb,  I didn't understand what  you meant "you're afraid of the selfishness", you think people will be lazy to buy and deliver things for others?

Concerning your questions, well, since there are so many young Lebanese working abroad and visiting their families often, we hope tink that there won't be a shortage of travelers. Also, you're not risking anything when posting a request: you only have to pay when you found a traveler that meets your needs. This might take time, of course, but you're not losing anything by trying. So who knows, maybe there will be someone traveling with an empty suitcase.

And yes, we unfortunately cannot let people buy the items themselves and send it to the travelers address for the reason that Adlouni highlighted..

I know how Lebanese think, if he has no road toward a shop where you want something from he will say to himself ''I won't go to the other part of the city and ''et3azab'' for only 10-20$'' while the buyer won't pay too much for the bonus fees because all the idea of this website is to cut the expenses, like you said first, lot of clothes deals because 90% of travelers will go to clothes shop like Galleries Lafayette or Champs Elysées shops, but these travelers won't do the move to go to tech stores specially if the item is big or heavy. I will use your website sometime around Christmas as I will get a Geforce 1070 or a lens for my Fujifilm camera, also Christmas time is a period when lot of expats will come back from US and Europe  :)

#32 August 23 2016

ManOwaRR

Ok thanks mrclass

#33 August 23 2016

Mane

vegetaleb wrote:
Mane wrote:

I know how Lebanese think, if he has no road toward a shop where you want something from he will say to himself ''I won't go to the other part of the city and ''et3azab'' for only 10-20$'' while the buyer won't pay too much for the bonus fees because all the idea of this website is to cut the expenses, like you said first, lot of clothes deals because 90% of travelers will go to clothes shop like Galleries Lafayette or Champs Elysées shops, but these travelers won't do the move to go to tech stores specially if the item is big or heavy. I will use your website sometime around Christmas as I will get a Geforce 1070 or a lens for my Fujifilm camera, also Christmas time is a period when lot of expats will come back from US and Europe  :)

Yes, I can see your point. Well, most of those shops offer free local delivery, so maybe this will help those that are too busy to go shop themselves.. But for sure, there will be people who don't want to try anything new.

#34 August 24 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Why the website link has been removed?

#35 August 24 2016

Mane

Hey, because the topic might be considered as adverts otherwise. I will pm it to you.

#36 August 24 2016

port80

Ramnesia wrote:

That's gonna be a really amazing thing if done right. Do you think if this reaches more and more people, would the "government" do something about it? Beacause you know how much they love bright people.

There is no law forbidding this kind of action so probably not.

#37 August 24 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Someone going to Hong Kong? :)

#38 August 25 2016

Mane

vegetaleb wrote:

Someone going to Hong Kong? :)

Ask on the website :)

#39 August 26 2016

MAS

review related to the site:
Couldn't find the site on google while searching for "peer to peer shopping" this can be helpful

One thing i noticed in the design is that the Shop and Bring buttons has rounded corner while on top navigation Active Orders, Sign Up.. on hover(not selected item) the background has edge corner!
also the create page, the tabs(Item description Price..) its not clear which one is selected, -yes the text is bolder than the other- but its not very clear, probably adding a light background to the selected tab would make it more noticeable.

Validation in create order:
Geographics tab:
the To should be required

Item description tab:
-There's no validation in the purchase order, at least item name and information should be required

Price tab:
-user can write anything in all fields where only integer should be allowed

Good job and I wish you guys good luck.

#40 August 26 2016

Mane

Hey MAS, thanks a lot!

Yes, since we are all developers and a complete zero at marketing, there's a lot we need to learn about SEO, thanks for the link.

As for the other comments, you're super cool to test the website out for us :) We're working on improvements, just wanted to launch an early version to get a general sense if people will like the concept or not. But it will be better in a couple of weeks, promise!

#41 September 24 2016

Jerome

Hey have you seen this? grabr

#42 September 24 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Jerome wrote:

Same spirit, but because it's international I could sell some items to a customer from abroad without problems of deliveries and taxes anymore.  though dunno how many from our rare tourists are using it

#43 September 24 2016

Mane

Jerome wrote:

Sure I know them! They are more focused on Latin America and South East Asia, and on countries where you have PayPal.. But the concept behind is similar, so they are cool, too ;)

#44 September 26 2016

Shlagem

You would not believe how many times I blinked with excitement when I read this thread since I was looking for a service like this for ages.
Please PM me the web address link.
Allow me to explain
I'm a veteran simracing driver to many in the area/region this hobby does not exist. The hardware side of it is similar to the interest of PC enthusiasts here and the products available to purchase from USA or Europe ranges from the heavy bulky Items to small Items.
The problem is that most of the retailers of such products are usually simracing enthusiasts with handy skills in workshops using the latest CNC 3D printing technology since most of the products combine mechanical and electronic skills so  creating high end products are created in batches which explain sometimes items going out of stock or sometimes a relatively period of delivery which also explains the popular second hand sales done by the community.

My question:
Is there any of your service coming soon from the USA? I have a second hand never opened product that I'm willing to buy from a community member, I have been waiting till Christmas since one of my relatives will be there but if there is someone coming sooner the better. The item is a pedal assembly and it weights not more than 5KG the seller excepts Paypal payment only and any wrong move with the deal will result me being exposed as a bad buyer to the community thus preventing me from any future deals and upgrades.

Since my request is special please PM or email me if you can help.

#45 September 26 2016

Mane

Dear Shlagem, Thanks for this exciting message, it's such a pleasure seeing people like our work!  I have PMed you website's link.

#46 September 26 2016

Shlagem

Mane wrote:

Dear Shlagem, Thanks for this exciting message, it's such a pleasure seeing people like our work!  I have PMed you website's link.

Thanks Mane I did a request on the webpage so fingers crossed.

#47 September 28 2016

Mane

Hey guys,

Need your help. Again :)

Buzz is getting out and  people have started using the platform. Now we've got many orders, but it proves much easier to get orders than find travelers to deliver them.

So I was wondering maybe some of your friends/family is coming to Lebanon soon, and you could tell them about the platform? Most of the orders are for iPhones (surprise-surprise) and the reward varies from $20 to $100, so it will cover some of the travel costs.

Let me know what you think and thanks so much!

#48 September 28 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Mane wrote:

Hey guys,

Need your help. Again :)

Buzz is getting out and  people have started using the platform. Now we've got many orders, but it proves much easier to get orders than find travelers to deliver them.

So I was wondering maybe some of your friends/family is coming to Lebanon soon, and you could tell them about the platform? Most of the orders are for iPhones (surprise-surprise) and the reward varies from $20 to $100, so it will cover some of the travel costs.

Let me know what you think and thanks so much!

This is the ''dead'' season for travels, it's normal you will not find many travelers now, starting November till January it will be much more active as you have the end of the year Holidays and 75% of expats are coming here, you must do some ads in expats facebook pages like Lebanese in NYC or Lebanese of California, Libanais a Paris, Libanais a Geneve...

#49 November 6 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

@Mane
I know people can do something called ''detaxe'' when they are leaving France or any European country using a foreign passport or a proof of living outside Europe, it's very important as you can get 13% on electronics.
What about people leaving the US?
If yes how can you implement this option in your website?

Last edited by vegetaleb (November 6 2016)

#50 November 7 2016

Mane

Hello!

In the USA you can get tax refunds from 2 states only, Louisiana and Texas. The tax refunds would be additional cash made by travelers, since the state where they made a purchase would have the traveler's payment details.

But this means that buyers can offer very little reward if they're buying something eligible for a tax refund, knowing that the tax refund itself would be a payment for the travelers.

Board footer