LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#701 July 20 2016

Silentcontrol

Re: Internet Speed and Latency in Lebanon

Doom wrote:

The ministry is planning on lowering internet prices!!
Source:boutros harb's facebook page.

where did u find that ?

#702 July 21 2016

ironman

I just went to his facebook page (Without liking it for sure), he said that the ministry is Studying a plan to reduce internet costs.
That's all.

#703 July 21 2016

Totoro

Yeah of course it's his team who's going to be studying. What do you expect a 71 year old who was previously appointed public transport minister for labor and minister of education? (both look wonderful right now by the way).
Let's hope his team is qualified to do something, just something, or anything at all.

Now I wonder if at like 68 years old I'll be like:" Today I feel like learning about public transportation and so I should be appointed as a minister!"
Seriously the track record of our politicians and the different roles they have is a joke, you can't run a country when you kick out the qualified and replace them with the clueless.

#704 July 21 2016

xazbrat

Not to defend or criticize any minister, but IMO, they have all done a half ass job.  If one of the past 4 or 5 or 6 ministers, had made a couple of easy, and in my opinion common sense decisions, we would now be crying on how our 16 mb connection wasn't enough.  A no brainer for example is that when they were in the process of connecting the CO's with fiber, why weren't they starting the process of upgrading it to the final user.  This way they could have rolled out the new speeds as areas become ready to receiver the higher speeds instead of trying for force the speeds on everyone who wasn't ready.  As it is now, 10 minutes from downtown beirut, some can't even receiver a 512k connection and others like myself are paying for a 1 meg connection the same price as other are paying for their 2 meg connection.

It is just amazing how well Lebanese do well outside of this country and the problems in this country can be traced to who is ruling it. 
Now I need to go the gym and use the punching bag--so frustrating thinking about it.

#705 July 21 2016

nuclearcat

4G?
Let them make decent quality of basic voice calls first. It is getting worse and worse.

#706 July 21 2016

NuclearVision

nuclearcat wrote:

4G?
Let them make decent quality of basic voice calls first. It is getting worse and worse.

precisely, And perhaps deal with the expensive packages.

#707 July 21 2016

hussam

I have started using whatsapp calls for calling people instead of regular phone calls. It uses speex or opus. The quality is not bad at all.

#708 July 21 2016

nuclearcat

It is not even quality of call in general(coverage crap as well), it takes a lot of time to establish call and it is cutting a lot even i have proper signal level on handset.
More looks like QoS and call routing issues.

#709 July 22 2016

hussam

Yes, QoS makes perfect sense here since they likely don't want you to use certain services ;)
It would be less profitable for alfa/mtc if we all used WhatsApp for voice calls.

Coverage is of course an issue. I have an old alfa (Cellis branded) card. The signal improved a lot in the last two years but I do live in Beirut. The coverage outside this area is likely not as good. I get 160s ms ping to OVH canada at the moment.

#710 July 22 2016

nuclearcat

In opposite, they have issues with normal voice calls (not over 3G/etc).
QoS they have (DPI), but it is internet traffic only. There is also QoS for normal calls, it is separate infrastructure.

#711 July 23 2016

hussam

nuclearcat wrote:

There is also QoS for normal calls, it is separate infrastructure.

What is the rationale behind it? What is the benefit from controlling and hurting their main income source?

#712 July 24 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Some fun but when I see the horrific 4G prices in Lebanon I can't but remember this:

02014dce217cc47e0ab9b1565e1bc711.jpg

#713 July 24 2016

nuclearcat

hussam wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

There is also QoS for normal calls, it is separate infrastructure.

What is the rationale behind it? What is the benefit from controlling and hurting their main income source?

In opposite, it wont hurt, and rather if they have perfect quality on voice calls, people will prefer normal calls, than unreliable IP calls.
And it was like this before. Now they shot themself in the leg, 3g/lte improved latency a lot, and voice calls degraded. People basically calling over IP almost for free (even with hefty internet prices), just because quality is better.

Last edited by nuclearcat (July 24 2016)

#714 September 15 2016

Doom

The minister is going to talk about 4G and prices(reduced) in an hour.

#715 November 29 2019

rolf

I suggest this channel to post various speedtests.
There are threads for discussing performance of local ISPs. Therefore I suggest posting speedtests from across the world and novel locations, such as free airport wifi, onboard (plane, bus) wifi, places we might be curious about.

My only concern is privacy, for example if I post a speedtest for some location then everybody will know where I am.

#716 November 29 2019

samer
Admin

Rolf: I merged your thread with this old one since the intent is the same.

#717 November 29 2019

Hemorrhoids

56935269.png
Terranet WDSL 4MB Plan

Board footer