LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 June 8 2016

Adlouni

Re: Feedback for 4G LTE

vegetaleb wrote:

FB open videos without asking permissions

You can disable that feature

FB video

FB video

Last edited by Adlouni (June 8 2016)

#77 June 8 2016

Georges00

vegetaleb wrote:

Any news about updated download quotas for Alfa?
It's so damn expensive
About unlimited night downloads, why wouldn't they propose like with Cyberia a paid 2-3$ per month option for that? It would solve so many summer houses internet problems, the 10$-500mb is useless unless you only check emails not even facebook because as we know FB open videos without asking permissions, 1.5gb for 20$ is better but you won't make a month with it for sure.
So they closed their eyes on the fact that 90% of Lebanese calls are made on whatsapp instead of ordinary mobile calls, but they steal us by super expensive data plans

Check out Facebook Lite

#78 June 8 2016

haidcar

vegetaleb wrote:

Any news about updated download quotas for Alfa?
It's so damn expensive
About unlimited night downloads, why wouldn't they propose like with Cyberia a paid 2-3$ per month option for that? It would solve so many summer houses internet problems, the 10$-500mb is useless unless you only check emails not even facebook because as we know FB open videos without asking permissions, 1.5gb for 20$ is better but you won't make a month with it for sure.
So they closed their eyes on the fact that 90% of Lebanese calls are made on whatsapp instead of ordinary mobile calls, but they steal us by super expensive data plans

Wireless can is expensive. wireless bandwidth is scarce. giving people unlimited access will harm the quality of service badly.

#79 July 4 2016

Super Official

My neighborhood just got 4g+ , speeds are between 90 mbps, just wish that 1.5gb wouldn't take 2 mins to be consumed at these speeds.

Last edited by Super Official (July 4 2016)

#80 July 4 2016

dav

Super Official wrote:

My neighborhood just got 4g+ , speeds are between 90 mbps, just wish that 1.5gb wouldn't take 2 mins to be consumed at these speeds.

lolll 19$ for 2 minutes real internet.... i think we now have a historical record of robbing

#81 July 4 2016

Super Official

dav wrote:
Super Official wrote:

lolll 19$ for 2 minutes real internet.... i think we now have a historical record of robbing

For real, i did half a speedtest and used 100mb. Someone who isn't paying attention would get screwed pretty badly.

This is the speed for anyone wondering: https://i.sli.mg/LLRiz0.png

#82 July 5 2016

AVOlio

Super Official wrote:

Where do you live?

#83 July 5 2016

dav

Super Official wrote:
dav wrote:
Super Official wrote:

For real, i did half a speedtest and used 100mb. Someone who isn't paying attention would get screwed pretty badly.

This is the speed for anyone wondering: https://i.sli.mg/LLRiz0.png

nice! thank you!

#84 July 5 2016

Super Official

AVOlio wrote:
Super Official wrote:

Where do you live?

Zouk Mikael near 7ay el kornet, going down to the lower part of the city gets regular 4g, so I guess I'm lucky.

#85 July 20 2016

Doom

New 4g sites by the end of the september,and 4g to all lebanon by the end of the year!!

#86 July 23 2016

LifeEngineer

I work at Alfa and we're fucking ourselves (yes a new term) to get LTE/4G to all Lebanon by the end of this year. There's lot of details that you people don't know and it's easy to judge or speak bullshit about it. It's a hard project with lots of technical and legal/site acquisition issues.

#87 July 23 2016

LifeEngineer

And we are upgrading to 4g+ too (800mhz LTE and 1800mhz LTE).

#88 July 23 2016

LifeEngineer

If we can be proud about one thing in this country, it is this telecom sector. Don't confuse it with prices. Sky-high prices are related to politics and this corruption in Lebanon. I'm talking about quality of service.
Let's not forget people that we were still on 2g/edge some years ago and we're now rolling 4g+! I think no company/country has done that yet. Yes it's not the wisest thing to do because optimizing the network needs years.
What you don't know is that it is very normal in any country and carrier to have drop calls and issues when upgrading to a new technology! It happens anywhere! The thing we are doing here in Lebanon is more like an achievement! So what if we have some drop calls?! Or some connection issues? At least we have very decent data connection and we know anyways that phone calls are decreasing by numbers due to internet and VoIP etc... There are still big parts of France for example without any coverage! Same applies to most big countries!

Yet the problem lies elsewhere : data prices and regular internet at homes (dsl, etc...).
It is super funny and hypocrite that I still have a 1mbps connection at home while i have a 3g+ connection at home and 4g couple of hundred meters away and 4g+ at my parents house!  All that while o enjoy my supersonic 1mbps!
This is the infrastructure and having 100mbps on my cellphone is useless when i have 1/100 of that home! This is a disaster!

Anyways with all that said, it is still nice to be positive about our telecom sector and be happy that we are really achieving some good stuff here and it's nice to look at the bright side of things here!

#89 July 23 2016

TheStunMan

LifeEngineer wrote:

If we can be proud about one thing in this country, it is this telecom sector. Don't confuse it with prices. Sky-high prices are related to politics and this corruption in Lebanon. I'm talking about quality of service.
Let's not forget people that we were still on 2g/edge some years ago and we're now rolling 4g+! I think no company/country has done that yet. Yes it's not the wisest thing to do because optimizing the network needs years.
What you don't know is that it is very normal in any country and carrier to have drop calls and issues when upgrading to a new technology! It happens anywhere! The thing we are doing here in Lebanon is more like an achievement! So what if we have some drop calls?! Or some connection issues? At least we have very decent data connection and we know anyways that phone calls are decreasing by numbers due to internet and VoIP etc... There are still big parts of France for example without any coverage! Same applies to most big countries!

Yet the problem lies elsewhere : data prices and regular internet at homes (dsl, etc...).
It is super funny and hypocrite that I still have a 1mbps connection at home while i have a 3g+ connection at home and 4g couple of hundred meters away and 4g+ at my parents house!  All that while o enjoy my supersonic 1mbps!
This is the infrastructure and having 100mbps on my cellphone is useless when i have 1/100 of that home! This is a disaster!

Anyways with all that said, it is still nice to be positive about our telecom sector and be happy that we are really achieving some good stuff here and it's nice to look at the bright side of things here!

In my opinion an achievement is when you give a good quality of service, all I see is a rush to install new LTE sites just to make this project happen (and make money out of it) but what about the congestion/failures/prices/QoS/new job opportunities.

Lets just wait when it ends and see the outcome.

Edited as project is still in progress and they might fix these issues.. (might)

Last edited by TheStunMan (July 23 2016)

#90 July 23 2016

nuclearcat

LifeEngineer wrote:

I can agree there is some progress and improvement. Speed in some spots became better, and at least people got alternative, if they are totally out of service from unreliable cable providers or DSL. But...
Sorry, but there is nothing to be proud about. Telecom sector in Lebanon lags behind for ~5 years than rest of world and lagging more and more. This progress way too slow.
The way now 3G/LTE done, it works fine, IMHO until it is expensive and metered, because most of sites are connected over microwaves (and thus have very limited bandwidth).
And at both locations i am living, unfortunately i can get barely working mobile service near window, and when i sleep i have to put my cellular phone far away, near window, just to be able to get notifications and reliable calls. Often also when i am visiting public places, i am experiencing a lot of issues as well. 4 years ago my internet worked better in the middle of nowhere, in desert in KSA, than at my home.

#91 July 28 2016

Moudimadi

Hello guys, can you please give me the 4G configuration for my smartphone? last night i did a reset to it, the configuration disappeared. It was called touch lebanon or something like that. if someone can give me the name and the apn. Thanks :)

#92 July 29 2016

dav

Moudimadi wrote:

Hello guys, can you please give me the 4G configuration for my smartphone? last night i did a reset to it, the configuration disappeared. It was called touch lebanon or something like that. if someone can give me the name and the apn. Thanks :)

apn : touch

that's all

#93 July 29 2016

LifeEngineer

I'm on alfa so sorry can't help.

@dav that can't be! There's all the settings! username and password and other ports settings and stuff.
Make a screenshot of your apn and share it with Moudimadi. That would be the best thing to do.

#94 July 29 2016

Adnan

dav wrote:
Moudimadi wrote:

apn : touch

that's all

I confirm.

#95 July 29 2016

Moudimadi

Thank you so much for helping Adnan and LifeEngineer :)

#96 October 8 2016

Super Official

I'll just leave this here, it's 4G+ on my galaxy s7
2278806986.png

It once reached 120 mbps but i stopped the test as I was low on data.

#97 October 9 2016

Silentcontrol

but still too expensive i could finish my 25 $ 5gb plan in less than a minute at those speeds

#98 November 11 2016

Moudimadi

Hello, i bought an alfa prepaid number yesterday. When i activated it, I got H+. i didn't get 4G. I called alfa, they told me that my sim card supports 4G LTE. So they called me today and said i should wait 48 hours to get the 4G on my sim. Even thought when my friends come to my house they get the 4G sign on their smartphones. I have the Samsung galaxy s6 edge and the network mode is auto connect: LTE/3G/2G. Anyone can help pls?

#99 November 11 2016

nuclearcat

Did you bought your phone in Lebanon?

#100 November 11 2016

ballad

it's not a phone problem
they have a pool where a new subscription is put in 3g for the first day or two.
when alfa doesn't automatically recharge my internet and I have to recharge it manually, I am put in the 3g pool and when they recharge me automatically I go straight in the 4g pool.
They don't admit it but I've lived enough in this country and payed enough bills to notice it.

Last edited by ballad (November 11 2016)

Board footer