LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 April 5 2016

kfc

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or IPhone 6s or LG G5

Chill guys, both android and ios are awesome!!

Do like me and get an android phone and ios tablet

Last edited by kfc (April 5 2016)

#52 April 5 2016

arached

ironman wrote:

Why do you insist on discussing the subject?

we all got the point that NO ONE will change his opinion, iPhone haters will never like the iPhone
and iPhone lovers will never an android right?

It doesn't have to be like that, we should appreciate both for what each of them offer. I've owned both iphone and android an now after owning the iphone 5 for 3 years i have the 6p and believe me i don't regret having neither. In the end, each platform have something special to offer and it's up to you to choose the one that fits best to you but you can't be biased and deny that the other platform is also amazing for what their offering.

#53 April 5 2016

NuclearVision

ironman wrote:

we all got the point that NO ONE will change his opinion, iPhone haters will never like the iPhone

Not precisely, I agree some people have a badge, geeks analyse and conclude.
In a couple of years, if htc for example offers a device which outstands iphones in terms of stability and maintenance, i'd have no problem to hold an htc device.

#54 April 5 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

NuclearVision wrote:
ironman wrote:

Not precisely, I agree some people have a badge, geeks analyse and conclude.
In a couple of years, if htc for example offers a device which outstands iphones in terms of stability and maintenance, i'd have no problem to hold an htc device.

This is your personal feeling, but for many people like me HTC already does that, it's purely subjective.
As ironman wrote, you either hate or love apple like you either hate or love htc, because of that you will never reckon HTC to be as good as iphone and I will never reckon iphone to be as good as HTC.
These flaming threads are useless, it's like Barcelone fans trying to convince Real Madrid fans to switch ;)

Last edited by vegetaleb (April 5 2016)

#55 April 5 2016

NuclearVision

Probably, but you guys assert that 'No one will ever ever change their opinion".
And that's not precise.

Last edited by NuclearVision (April 5 2016)

#56 April 5 2016

Salloum

Lots of people change their minds. I did. When iPhones had 4.0" screens, I laughed at people who bought them. It's incredible how much the size of a display can make or break a product. Night and day.

#57 April 5 2016

LifeEngineer

I remember when I opened once a thread asking about what device to get, and the admin closed it saying that it potentially start a flame war!!!
Look at this now! And they didn't move a muscle!

Anyways, I've been on android since 2009 although I know it has many issues.
I hate how unstable and unpredictable it is.
On one day my battery life is amazing; on a same other day it's horrendous!

I admire iPhone and I would probably have gotten one if it was more affordable.
I think and feel (based on reviews, feedbacks, and my bro who was an android user and now enjoys his iphone 6) that it's much better. At least in software department.

Issues get tricky when hardware/features and price are introduced.
I can't just can't, even if i want, pay more for an iphone then a note 5 that does have an SD card, an spen, great multitasking features, great cameras, crazy sensors, themes support, multiwindows, gestures, high screen sensitivity (glove mode), 2k screen, heart rate monitor, etc...
I just can't find any argument to allow me pay more for an iphone than a note 5 for example!

Waiting for the moment when apple either introduce great features and specs while keeping logical price; or for them to drop their prices to drop a lot.
The way it is now, it doesn't work for me!

Last edited by LifeEngineer (April 5 2016)

#58 April 5 2016

LifeEngineer

ragdoll wrote:

I'm on a $350 phone and I'd pick it over any iPhone 10 times out of 10. No, NOT because iPhones are bad. But because they're not what I'm looking for.

You intrigued me! What do you have?

#59 April 5 2016

Salloum

LifeEngineer wrote:

I can't just can't, even if i want, pay more for an iphone then a note 5 that does have an SD card, an spen, great multitasking features, great cameras, crazy sensors, themes support, multiwindows, gestures, high screen sensitivity (glove mode), 2k screen, heart rate monitor, etc...
I just can't find any argument to allow me pay more for an iphone than a note 5 for example!

This is where the needs of a user come into play. For me: SD card? just buy a 64/128gb model. S Pen? used it maybe once in my life and I had Note 2, 3 and 4. Multitasking is good for copy and paste, but other than that, I don't use 2 apps simultaneously on a 5.5" screen, I have a tablet for that it's much more comfortable. Camera? Well it's true the S6 family beats the 6s camera but not by much. To me the 12MP shooter is still amazing. The heart rate sensor (and most other weird sensors on the Note5) are useless to me. High screen sensitivity would be great to have if I lived in Canada or something for gloves... but here, not really needed. 2K screens make devices lag and consume much more power than a 1080p. I find 400ppi to be more than enough to get a great screen. 500+ is just pushing the limit.

As I said at the beginning of this post. It's about what the user wants. iPhone users don't care one bit about the things you listed. Of course, the iPhone is more expensive, but you should see the resale value. I bought my 6 Plus 128GB for 950$ the first month it came out. I sold it a week before the 6s Plus came out for 700$, after using it for almost a whole year. Android prices plummet so fast it's really the worst investment ever.

#60 April 5 2016

LifeEngineer

Salloum wrote:

As I said at the beginning of this post. It's about what the user wants. iPhone users don't care one bit about the things you listed. Of course, the iPhone is more expensive, but you should see the resale value. I bought my 6 Plus 128GB for 950$ the first month it came out. I sold it a week before the 6s Plus came out for 700$, after using it for almost a whole year. Android prices plummet so fast it's really the worst investment ever.

100%
Of course, to each his preferences and needs. That's why I was referring to me.
For me, although i admire iOS for what it is, I still feel it's not for me! And that's because i have an ipad and typing this msg on it!
It's stable, nice, fast, smooth and very app focused with quality apps.
I love themes! I use spen more than once daily! I appreciate the huge potential of customization and features!
A simple app like brave browser (linkbubble previously) can't even be used on an iOS devide coz the software is very restrictive and doesn't allow any app to draw over other apps/UI! Facebook messenger bubbles aren't there... Lots of nice other features that I use (even withiut root) can't be replicated on iOS.
About price, you're totally right. There's no comparison at all in that regard.

I hope you got my point because even if I don't use all the note features but still even if I have some money to get a new phone, i would go for the phone that has all the bells and whistles! because i might use any of its features anyday, even if i feel i don't need it today! Just the fact that those options are there, gives me a feeling of satisfaction because i know i got a lot for what i paid.
Buying an iphone to me is like buying a featureless empty hummer while i can buy for its price a fully equipped mercedes! Doesn't make any sense for me!

After all, i always had this philosophy : it is called a SMARTphone for a reason! I want to feel i own a SMARTphone and biggest part of that is features! That's why I'll go any day with a samsung, LG, htc, LG, Huawei, Xiaomi  over any nexus or iphone!
Iphones and nexuses come bare empty and act only as app players which isn't worth it that high price in my opinion. Maybe for half their prices, they'll be worth it...

#61 April 5 2016

ragdoll

LifeEngineer wrote:

nexuses come bare empty and act only as app players which isn't worth it that high price in my opinion. Maybe for half their prices, they'll be worth it...

To be fair I prefer to have a bare playground for me to edit to my needs. Some Samsung/Sony/LG features aren't really an attraction for me. And the bloat alone is a detriment, in my opinion.

It's like picking Arch Linux over Ubuntu.

LifeEngineer wrote:

You intrigued me! What do you have?

A Nexus 5X. Got it from the U.S. via a relative.

#62 May 6 2016

Tech Guru

I made my my mind and I went with the Galaxy S7 Edge :) , along with the free 128GB microSD (UHS-1) offer and I changed my MTC sim to enable LTE-4G. Next move I will get soon the Samsung VR and Gear S2 - Classic.

7grgbqK.jpg

Irj1Ks5.jpg

IdUZ8Qe.jpg

As a quick user review experience for a two days usage , the mobile is fully fledged:

+Great 1440p Super Amoled Sreen  , very immersive / floating experience.
+Very Good Battery Life (Under Wifi or 4G Usage)
+Great Looks , I got the Gold which looks premium.
+The TouchWiz is very optimized now with the ability to download themes.
+Brilliant Camera experience, super fast auto focus and IOS while video recording works great.
+IPS68 gives the phone more resilience.
+Fast Charging   

- Screen Protectors & Covers for it is a headache - even an CTC main showroom at Debayeh or Class  , they will make touching a stiff on the edges and lack of proper availability in the market , and not every back cover works well with a screen protector that covers the edge. Hopefully after a couple of weeks , the availability of different kind of screen protectors will be available.

My initial user experience matches the almost very positive reviews on tech websites and tech you-tube channels.  Samusng is becoming a tough competitor in the market.

#63 May 6 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Tech Guru wrote:

I made my my mind and I went with the Galaxy S7 Edge :) , along with the free 128GB microSD (UHS-1) offer and I changed my MTC sim to enable LTE-4G. Next move I will get soon the Samsung VR and Gear S2 - Classic.

http://i.imgur.com/7grgbqK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Irj1Ks5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IdUZ8Qe.jpg

As a quick user review experience for a two days usage , the mobile is fully fledged:

+Great 1440p Super Amoled Sreen  , very immersive / floating experience.
+Very Good Battery Life (Under Wifi or 4G Usage)
+Great Looks , I got the Gold which looks premium.
+The TouchWiz is very optimized now with the ability to download themes.
+Brilliant Camera experience, super fast auto focus and IOS while video recording works great.
+IPS68 gives the phone more resilience.
+Fast Charging   

- Screen Protectors & Covers for it is a headache - even an CTC main showroom at Debayeh or Class  , they will make touching a stiff on the edges and lack of proper availability in the market , and not every back cover works well with a screen protector that covers the edge. Hopefully after a couple of weeks , the availability of different kind of screen protectors will be available.

My initial user experience matches the almost very positive reviews on tech websites and tech you-tube channels.  Samusng is becoming a tough competitor in the market.

Mabrouk bro!
Though they should have give you the GearVR free with it, it's the offer they do in all other countries, damn CTC

#64 May 6 2016

Salloum

The 128gig card is worth more and is more useful than the VR gear. Mabrouk, I think I'll go for the same offer. Either silver or white I think

#65 May 7 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Salloum wrote:

The 128gig card is worth more and is more useful than the VR gear. Mabrouk, I think I'll go for the same offer. Either silver or white I think

128gb = 30$ (amazon)
GearVR = 100$

#66 May 7 2016

Salloum

Good luck getting it from amazon... And don't think it's the good quality being offered by CTC

#67 May 7 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Salloum wrote:

Good luck getting it from amazon... And don't think it's the good quality being offered by CTC

You really worship CTC, do you?
I am talking PNY which is one of the best in the US, you should check some US and European websites to see that Lebanese prices for such items are very expensive, if you go at Virgin it will cost you 80$ perhaps but we all know Virgin is the most expensive shop in the Middle East

#68 May 7 2016

dav

aliexpress : ’ )

#69 May 7 2016

Tech Guru

Thank You ;)

LWoeMMY.jpg

T8RFNkT.jpg

ynQ0kqO.png

The 4G/LTE Speeds are awesome.

#70 May 7 2016

Salloum

Beautiful phone. But to me the Gold color is a bit too much + its such a fingerprint magnet

#71 May 7 2016

Tech Guru

Yep , it is a mega finger print magnet - I tried the silver before purchase , same same , guess the white is the least. But to stop thinking about finger print , a transparent cover  masked the finger print "magnetism" haha.

#72 May 7 2016

Salloum

Covers? No thanks. When I spend 700$ on something, I'd like to enjoy it fully, not a cheap plastic or silicone feel

#73 May 8 2016

LifeEngineer

Salloum wrote:

Covers? No thanks. When I spend 700$ on something, I'd like to enjoy it fully, not a cheap plastic or silicone feel

Good luck dropping that precious 700 bucks phone... As much as i would like to use a phone naked, i never did! And i always end up thankful for that! Never ever broke a phone!
My friend who uses his phones naked broke each one...

#74 May 8 2016

mohammadk97

LifeEngineer wrote:
Salloum wrote:

Good luck dropping that precious 700 bucks phone... As much as i would like to use a phone naked, i never did! And i always end up thankful for that! Never ever broke a phone!

Well, it depends on the person.
I have never put on a cover on any of my phones, and never broke a single one.

Last edited by mohammadk97 (May 8 2016)

#75 May 8 2016

Salloum

mohammadk97 wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:
Salloum wrote:

Well, it depends on the person.
I have never put on a cover on any of my phones, and never broke a single one.

I take good care of my devices. I broke a display once and it was tough paying the 200$ but in all these years it only happened one time. I prefer to use it naked. Otherwise what's the point of buying a nice phone

Board footer