LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 5 2016

charbel316

Website Creation

Hello,

so I would like to create a website for university students. As you may know, before registration, students gather feedback about courses and professors (regarding workload, grades...) and this is majorly done on facebook groups.

it's a bit hard to describe what i want...
I'd like to create a website where students can sign up and share their experience about the courses. and if the course is not available in the list the use can create a new course. every "course" page will contain the names of the professors who are giving it. And finally under every professor the user can write a review.

the problem is that I don't have enough knowledge about website development

the first step would be to find a domain name and a host. do you think i should use a free domain and hosting service? if not do you think I could raise enough money using adsense to cover the hosting fees?

will it be hard to create the website?

#2 May 5 2016

Johnaudi

Re: Website Creation

I will highly recommend you not to go with a free hosting plan, even for testing. Check out the prices at 1&1 if they fit your needs. It wouldn't be more than 5$ a month.

#3 May 5 2016

Adnan

I don't think you should start hosting before having at least a prototype of your website at home.

There are also many points to talk about here. First make sure what your website really does, in detail. How you're going to advertise it if you plan on people making use of it... These are the questions that came off the top of my head for now.

Of course you will need to know some Web Development languages to get started. What programming languages do you know, even if not Web related?

#4 May 5 2016

charbel316

Johnaudi wrote:

I will highly recommend you not to go with a free hosting plan, even for testing. Check out the prices at 1&1 if they fit your needs. It wouldn't be more than 5$ a month.

i checked the offers on 1&1 and they're great. it's 1$ a month for the first year then 7$ per month but i won't sign up until I am ready. i think i will have to learn some languages before starting.

#5 May 5 2016

charbel316

Adnan wrote:

I don't think you should start hosting before having at least a prototype of your website at home.

There are also many points to talk about here. First make sure what your website really does, in detail. How you're going to advertise it if you plan on people making use of it... These are the questions that came off the top of my head for now.

Of course you will need to know some Web Development languages to get started. What programming languages do you know, even if not Web related?

can you please tell me where to start and what programming languages to learn? i know a little bit of python (just the very basics), but i don't think that it will help.
do you know any good tutorial online?

#6 October 28 2016

Charles.S

there are plenty of courses on udemy they teach you from scratch try them out

#7 October 29 2016

rolf

charbel316 wrote:

the first step would be to find a domain name and a host. do you think i should use a free domain and hosting service? if not do you think I could raise enough money using adsense to cover the hosting fees?

If you don't even want to pay $5 a month then good luck with the website - you will want to find someone who can do design and UX, then someone who can spend hours coding it for free, then someone who is willing to promote and market it for free.

If you don't want to invest anything in that project then the result (if there is one at all) will probably be a much worse option then Facebook and nobody will use it.

Last edited by rolf (October 29 2016)

Board footer