LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 30 2016

Locha

No Landline - Best Internet Connection?

Hello there,

What is the best internet connection you are experiencing today in case someone doesn't have a Landline in order to get a DSL connection or in case he doesn't want to subscribe to one of those local providers?

Thank you.

#2 March 30 2016

LifeEngineer

Re: No Landline - Best Internet Connection?

Hey,
I'm in the same boat and my only option (and my current situation) is Cable providers.
Not a great option but it definitely costs less than a wireless provider (connect, mobi, etc...).

#3 March 30 2016

FakeDsl

If you're looking for casual Internet browsing and downloads you can try connect, A couple of co-workers have it installed at home and they just use it for youtube, Facebook and such, they seem happy with it, but if you care to use it for online gaming and such I'm afraid stinking DSL is the only and barely solution around. Believe me, when it comes to online gaming I tried WISE, MOBI, Local cable, Alfa's 4g.. they are all as bad as each other, eventually I gave up on that and now just use internet for surfing. What can u do other than give up on services in this country.

#4 March 30 2016

BetterGoogleIt

I think I became an expert with this topic, so here is my review:
3G-4G:
Pros: Fast, good ping if you are in a 4G area
Cons:Expensive, unstable, not reliable.
Wireless by Mobi, Wise...:
Pros: most of the times they know what they are doing, plug and play.
Cons: Expensive, service depends largely on the coverage (signal) in your area...
Cable guys (aka experts and know-it-all):
Pros: sometimes cheap, they are everywhere just ask for the electrician in your area! (PS: some may have a nice route to europe so you can enjoy a good ping 80)
Cons: The service arranges from bad down to the worst, high ping most of the times, slow connection, big liars, sadly most of the times they don't know what they are doing so taffiya w dawwiya.
I'm sorry maybe I'm a bit salty cause I can't have DSL too, hope you find a good provider!

#5 March 31 2016

Hybrid

Best internet would be cracking your neighbour's wifi, the one with an Ogero ADSL connection

#6 March 31 2016

NuclearVision

BetterGoogleIt wrote:

sadly most of the times they don't know what they are doing so taffiya w dawwiya.

Agreed and suffered from it.

#7 March 31 2016

LifeEngineer

BetterGoogleIt wrote:

Cons: The service arranges from bad down to the worst, high ping most of the times, slow connection, big liars, sadly most of the times they don't know what they are doing so taffiya w dawwiya.

Hahaha that made my day! Yeah suffering this each day!

#8 April 1 2016

Locha

Thanks for the feedback mates.

#9 April 1 2016

xazbrat

A landline is pretty inexpensive--I think < 10,000LL per month just for the line.  Installation IIRC, is either gratis or very low (they want people to get phone lines).  If you can get a phone line, it may be worth it to get better internet service.

Disclaimer:  don't work for any phone company, but experience has not been positive with wireless providers which includes WISE, VISP (RIP) and other local providers.

#10 April 1 2016

hussam

If someone gets a phone line and then ogero's 2MB unlimited, how much is the total bill?
10,000LL for phone + 75,000LL(for the 2MB)+ what else? Any commected time metered bill, etc... etc... etc....?
I would like to know all the details. Thank you.

#11 April 1 2016

xazbrat

hussam wrote:

If someone gets a phone line and then ogero's 2MB unlimited, how much is the total bill?
10,000LL for phone + 75,000LL(for the 2MB)+ what else? Any commected time metered bill, etc... etc... etc....?
I would like to know all the details. Thank you.

There is also TVA and some other charges in there (municipality stamps, etc.) .  The bill with unlimited will be near 100K.

#12 April 1 2016

hussam

Thank you. And no additional phone fees for online time?

#13 April 1 2016

Raficoo

hussam wrote:

The amount of time you stay online by DSL has absolutely no effect on the cost you pay per month.

I'm also on Ogero's 2mbit/s unlimited and similar to what xazbrat said, I pay around 100,000L.L per month

#14 April 2 2016

hussam

Raficoo wrote:
hussam wrote:

The amount of time you stay online by DSL has absolutely no effect on the cost you pay per month.

I'm also on Ogero's 2mbit/s unlimited and similar to what xazbrat said, I pay around 100,000L.L per month

Ok, great. Thank you :)

#15 April 3 2016

shady282

Does anyone know about a cable guys in the coral beach area? (exactly in front of the hotel) and how much would it cost for installation?

Thank you

#16 April 3 2016

Johnaudi

I have posted going with a satellite provider, when installation is slightly expensive, the connection is amazing.
I get about 40ms ping on CS:GO at times.

#17 April 3 2016

hussam

Johnaudi wrote:

I have posted going with a satellite provider, when installation is slightly expensive, the connection is amazing.

Where is "CS:GO" server? It's impossible to get 40mb on a satellite internet connection. It should be mid 350s minimal since the signal has to pass through space to a satellite.

#18 April 3 2016

Tech Guru

WiseBox.

#19 April 3 2016

hussam

WiseBox doesn't use a satellite connection.

It's 12xx ms single direction to the moon at the speed of light. A two way direction to a satellite close to earth can't be less than 300s ms.

Edit: Actually nevermind. Let us calculate this before making estimations. It could be 40ms if the numbers fit. How far is the satellite from earth?

Last edited by hussam (April 3 2016)

#20 April 3 2016

Johnaudi

hussam wrote:
Johnaudi wrote:

Where is "CS:GO" server? It's impossible to get 40mb on a satellite internet connection. It should be mid 350s minimal since the signal has to pass through space to a satellite.

It's not really a satellite connection, pardon me, it's a Dish connection.
Since the cables are extremely bad in Lebanon, I am using a Sextant G to connect to my provider's headquarters, and he's giving me a 4-8M connection with 4GB/day traffic. Ping is amazing too. (for 100,000L.L a month)

Last edited by Johnaudi (April 3 2016)

#21 April 3 2016

BetterGoogleIt

hussam wrote:

WiseBox doesn't use a satellite connection.

It's 12xx ms single direction to the moon at the speed of light. A two way direction to a satellite close to earth can't be less than 300s ms.

Edit: Actually nevermind. Let us calculate this before making estimations. It could be 40ms if the numbers fit. How far is the satellite from earth?

Not sure if you're trolling.

#22 April 3 2016

hussam

BetterGoogleIt wrote:

Not sure if you're trolling.

Why is it trolling? It is a legitimate question. Assuming this really was a satellite internet connection similar to what VISP had from 2004 till 2014, it would be interesting to calculate what the minimal theoretical (mathematical latency) which is the time light takes to travel from point A on earth to the satellite then point B on earth. In VISP's case, it was an almost constant 500ms.
This is a geeks forum. Expect people to try to do the math ;)

Johnaudi wrote:

It's not really a satellite connection, pardon me, it's a Dish connection.
Since the cables are extremely bad in Lebanon, I am using a Sextant G to connect to my provider's headquarters, and he's giving me a 4-8M connection with 4GB/day traffic. Ping is amazing too. (for 100,000L.L a month)

Ok, thank you for explaining. So it's like a long-range wireless transmission device? That's a good price too.

Last edited by hussam (April 3 2016)

#23 April 4 2016

Johnaudi

@hussam yes, it most likely is just a transmission device since you can't trust Ogero's PO anymore, they never have room available and always overdriven. And let's not talk about the distance... My sextant G is placed on my roof giving about 30Mbps, and causing about 5ms of transfer time to the ISP. Distance to the nearest ogero PO is less than 2km and they can give me a maximum of for 4M speed. Whereas there's about 3-4km with my provider and can give me a higher speed for the same price. (Oh, and it's unlimited, too! End of day quota is 4GB, but doesn't cut you on your month)

Last edited by Johnaudi (April 4 2016)

#24 April 4 2016

NuclearVision

What if you want to download a 5Gb file in the morning?
And it doesn't support resume.

#25 April 4 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Hybrid wrote:

Best internet would be cracking your neighbour's wifi, the one with an Ogero ADSL connection

Most of security now is WPA which is hardly hackable

Board footer