LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 31 2007

rolf

"Click to activate and use this control" in IE

Bad news!

If you update IE to the latest version, you will notice that flash controls are not anymore seamlessly embedded into pages, you will now get a popup saying "Click to activate and use this control" when you hover your mouse over a flash control, and you will need to click on the flash object before you can use it.

Following a lost legal battle, microsoft has decided to implement this "feature" that forces code developpers to change the way in which they embed objects in a page.

There are some workarounds to fix this issue on the server side, but it's not an easy task. Webmasters and web developpers can read more here:

http://activecontent.blogspot.com/

#2 January 31 2007

mahdoum

Re: "Click to activate and use this control" in IE

I don't see anything bad about this, I've had this for quiet some time in Opera and finds its better because it stops me accidently clicking things etc.

#3 January 31 2007

rolf

It is very annoying for menus. For example the website of the company has it's menu in flash, and now I'm worried the some visitors who are not proeficient in computers (especially older people :) ... sorry for the discrimination) will not be able to navigate the site due to this.

#4 January 31 2007

samer
Admin

Good point Rolf. It kinda breaks the flow in your layout. Anyway, me being a non-flashy person, it doesn't really affect me as a designer, nor as a consumer since I don't use MS IE.

#5 January 31 2007

mahdoum

tayeb when older people want to click on the flash menu, they click the first time nothing happens (that auto activates the flash) they try again and it works. Where's the problem? I'm pretty sure most people will try clicking again if the flash link didn't work the first time.

#6 February 1 2007

mir

ditto mahdum

well...if it is about a menu
y not use a javascript
u can make pretty complicated stuff
check the OpenCube Infinite Menus - Visual Infinite Menu  and u will know what i am  talkin abut
or i can send u couple of fun java scripted menus

what was that legal battle that M$ Lost ?

Last edited by mir (February 1 2007)

#7 February 1 2007

samer
Admin

u can make pretty complicated stuff

It never was about complexity, now was it? :)

#8 February 2 2007

mir

of course samer
power in simplicity - that's a golden rule for me

i mean advanced stuff...lot of stuff

Board footer