LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 9 2016

scorz

Haswell/Skylake

First of all: I know there is already many topic open about it but I didn't want to hijack other user topics.

Ok here's my story: I am still on 2600k cpu /  intel dp67bg mobo / 8gb 1333mhz ram.
I got a problem with the PSU recently and the mobo started to die: Two dead ram slot/ two dead sata / windows corrupted and won't boot after fresh install(it was a nightmare to re-install it) with one of the hdd plugged in etc etc..

So I am thinking it's time for an upgrade!
I've been reading for two days about Haswell VS Skylake.
So I am lost if I go with the old 4790K or i7-6700K or moving to x99 the i7-5820K.
Here's my logic:

1- I am not a "Hardcore" gaming "anymore". Some days pass without even gaming, and when I play games it's not more than 2 hours in weekday, but maybe up to 10 hours in weekend!

2- I code using visual studio under windows / qt-gtk+ linux. I do some video/picture editing from time to time (Adobe Premiere/Photoshop).

3- I may not need OC but I always keep my options open (the reason I want to go with a K cpu).

4- I already have a 970 and it run smoothly at 1080p, not planning to go 4k soon. However I may go dual monitor (but not for gaming)

Pros I found in 4790K: Old technology: It's been tested for two years so basically problems/bugs/ are known and solved plus it's almost the same performance as the skylake.
Cons: no DDR4, more power.

Pros I found in 6700K: "Newer technology" less power, a bit better than the Haswell, DDR4
Cons:  new technology (I've read it's causing a lot of problems and some of them are damaged because they're thinner..)

Pros I found in the 5820k: 6 cores. And the reason I "may" need 6 cores is because I may run two OS at the same PC
4 cores for windows 2 cores for linux. And of course faster rendering time / code compilation / more RAM. And from what I've read it's more solid than the other architectures.
Cons: I may never run virtual machines / slower single core performance.

Basically I want a mix of a developer workstation plus gaming.

My budget is about 1000-1200$ for the CPU/MOBO/RAM/PSU/ and maybe a 1TB HDD (I already have an SSD)

So I hope users who have experience with these architectures can share!
Thanks!

#2 February 9 2016

Georges00

Re: Haswell/Skylake

Thing with skylake is you need DDR4 RAMs (Some will say you can use DDR3, they will work but cause damage to your motherboard unless you want to tweak voltages but I do not recommend it).
DDR4 RAMs are still expensive. It depends on your budget.
If you can afford it, go for Skylake.
I'm still on the 4770K and I love it.
One thing I learned is we always want the best, but we do not need it. It's overkill and a waste of money most of the time.

#3 February 9 2016

bermudapineapple

I don't think gaming matters. Whether you play six hours a day or six hours a week, the processor has very little impact on the gaming performance, especially when choosing between those three. The only reasons I can see to worry about the CPU in your post are your video processing and running multiple OS's, or virtual machines. Seeing as how your last process is an i7-2600k, it doesn't seem to me that you stick with your hardware for too long. In that case, either of those three will be sufficient for your needs. If you were on a Core 2 or an i7-920, however, I would tell you to go with the latest, most future proof CPU.

#4 February 9 2016

Tech Guru

@scorz

If you want to upgrade , usually go with the latest technology available , but I will go with Haswell E or 5820 K , which is an awesome overclock-able by the way and DD4 compatible with a 24 PCI-E Lanes , 16x/8x if you want to SLI compared to 8x/8x on i7 4970k and i7 6700K.

Some Highlights in Short Summary and without diving into technical details:

DDR3 vs DDR4 - Negligible overall system performance and Gaming Performance
Skylake may bend using certain coolers , and  thinner than Haswell - Caution to be taken even though  the risk is minor , but the risk is there, and on 100& CPU load a freezing bug exist , using stress testing only "Prime 95 , in extreme gaming you will not reach this utilization level but the bug exists.
4790 k vs 6700 k - 10% Performance Gain at max, but not in all situations, gaming for example (especially recent AAA Titles that favors an i7 a 4-5 Fps Gains at Max). 

Wait for Broadwell-E , same X99 LGA 2011-3 ;)

Last edited by Tech Guru (February 9 2016)

#5 February 9 2016

scorz

Thanks for your replies!

@Georges00
Yeah my budget is about 1000 to 1200$ only for CPU/MOBO/RAM/PSU
I guess I can afford it, I'll go with DDR4 if I choose skylake over Haswell I am not going to mess with RAM voltages.
And you're right, that's what confusing me. I may not need a 6 cores CPU..But If I ever needed the two extra cores I'll start cursing if I have a 4 cores cpu :/

@tt400 I wasn't planning on changing my setup at the moment :/ but my PSU killed it. I have two dead rams slot.. One of the HDD stopped working... BIOS just went crazy.. And I don't think it's worth buying a new LGA 1155 motherboard or is it?

@Tech Guru
I don't think I'll ever go SLI to be honest.. Well Maybe If I go 4k one day. I don't think I need SLI setup for two or even three monitors for just coding right?
And yeah that's what's worrying me the 14nm CPU..
Well the problem is that I can't wait for Broadwell-E CPU :/

#6 February 9 2016

MrElie

Haswell is definetly the smarter choice. talking about the 5820K which is 15mb cache and 8 cores processor where as the skylake is more cpu power but still at 8mb cache and 4 core processors.

both the 6700K and 5820K are at almost same price( 30 $ difference) but it depends on how much you want to pay for the mobo.

good luck anyway

#7 February 9 2016

haidcar

MrElie wrote:

Haswell is definetly the smarter choice. talking about the 5820K which is 15mb cache and 8 cores processor where as the skylake is more cpu power but still at 8mb cache and 4 core processors.

both the 6700K and 5820K are at almost same price( 30 $ difference) but it depends on how much you want to pay for the mobo.

good luck anyway

6 cores.

#8 February 10 2016

Die_Kapitan

The 2600K is still a very solid CPU, wait for Zen, Kaby Lake and Broadwell/Skylake-E before upgrading. You can get a used P67/Z68/Z77 motherboard for cheap from eBay and that'd keep you going until Q4 2016/Q1 2017 when all the good stuff comes out. Having said that, Skylake is the first architecture that's worth an upgrade from Sandy Bridge, so if it's an absolute must, upgrade to an i7 6700K, yes the 5820K has 2 more cores and 4 more threads, but you don't need 6 cores, you'll do fine with 4 cores with HT, X99 motherboards are more expensive too, you're looking at at least $250-ish just for a motherboard compared to $150-ish for a Z170 motherboard.

#9 February 10 2016

scorz

Die_Kapitan wrote:

The 2600K is still a very solid CPU, wait for Zen, Kaby Lake and Broadwell/Skylake-E before upgrading. You can get a used P67/Z68/Z77 motherboard for cheap from eBay and that'd keep you going until Q4 2016/Q1 2017 when all the good stuff comes out. Having said that, Skylake is the first architecture that's worth an upgrade from Sandy Bridge, so if it's an absolute must, upgrade to an i7 6700K, yes the 5820K has 2 more cores and 4 more threads, but you don't need 6 cores, you'll do fine with 4 cores with HT, X99 motherboards are more expensive too, you're looking at at least $250-ish just for a motherboard compared to $150-ish for a Z170 motherboard.

I see.
Well I may need 2 extra cores because right now, I am running two different PC one for win the other for linux.
Running VM is easier I guess... But like I've said I may never run VM.
But I'll take your opinion in consideration. I just ordered a new PSU. If everything went ok. I'll wait.

#10 February 10 2016

MrElie

Well you can use esxi which i'm using. It's free and really nice.

Board footer