LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 30 2015

rolf

Windows 8 stuck in "auto repair" mode at startup

Hello peeps,
I am trying to fix a windows 8 laptop - and save windows from itself.
For some reason (it was working yesterday), it does not boot normally anymore, and goes into auto repair mode and gets stuck at attempting repairs stage. I've tried waiting for 1/2 hour.
I've also tried all the "old" tricks (F8, etc.). I've lost much time trying weird trick ("keep pressing Shift-F8 and maybe, sometimes it will work" or also F9 or F11 or Alt-F10 - an Acer thing) and changing some things in the BIOS. No use.
I guess Windows 8 is so great and fast now that it does not need no "safe mode" anymore. Microsoft finally succeeded in making the perfect OS that repairs itself.
Anyway, not to waste your time with ranting; Nothing works. I don't have another Windows 8 machine (thankfully) and I don't have a Windows 8 install DVD to boot from (which I read would help me). I was wondering if a Windows 7 boot DVD would help? Or would anyone have any other ideas or tips? Thanks in advance.

#2 December 1 2015

scorz

Re: Windows 8 stuck in "auto repair" mode at startup

Maybe there is some problems with the hdd? Try using a bootable checkdisk see if it helps.
I think it can be done with win7 dvd, run cmd chkdsk. If not there is plenty of software that can do that.

#3 December 1 2015

rolf

scorz wrote:

Maybe there is some problems with the hdd? Try using a bootable checkdisk see if it helps.
I think it can be done with win7 dvd, run cmd chkdsk. If not there is plenty of software that can do that.

Thanks. I'll try creating a windows 7 bootdisk.
I must have a linux bootdisk but not sure if I should do that.
If it's the disk it might be pretty bad. Maybe I should boot in Linux, backup data or make an image, and then reinstall or something like that.

#4 December 1 2015

eliminator

If you haven't modified it yet, I 'll try to keep it running overnight, when I was first installing windows 8 I waited 3 hours on a "restarting". I googled and this was a common thing on some windows 8 installing at first. It never re occured.

Board footer