LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 2 2015

rolf

Hackday Idea

Good morning,
I find myself participating in a hack day, but have no idea I'm sure about.
Anyone has an idea to propose :-/
Mostly something to do with Javascript, front-end. Some command line stuff can be thrown in.
But really I can use whatever platform I want - it's just that my experience and the environment is more like web and open source.
Thanks in advance for any answers.

#2 October 2 2015

TheStunMan

Re: Hackday Idea

I'd love to see a way to install putty as a php script that can be downloaded to your server and start using it right a way. This will facilitate connecting to any server world wide even if you are behind a proxy connection.

#3 October 2 2015

venam

--

Last edited by venam (September 9 2016)

#4 October 2 2015

TheStunMan

venam wrote:
TheStunMan wrote:

I'd love to see a way to install putty as a php script that can be downloaded to your server and start using it right a way. This will facilitate connecting to any server world wide even if you are behind a proxy connection.

A php shell.
It's widely used for "destructive" purpose in inclusion exploits such as RFI and LFI.

Interesting how can we make it more like this (Run Putty from your browser with no installs.).
php shell as i understand is kinda the same thing but it acquires you to have good background on "php scripting shell" which is not what i'm looking for. I just want to have a putty simulator to be run on "http://mywebsite.com/putty.php" which i only have access to it (easy with .htaccess) and then i could use all same functions of regulator putty ssh etc..) on my browser. Because in most places (colleges/work/wifi hotspot) using ssh is forbidden.

#5 October 3 2015

rolf

There have been PHP shells since PHP became wide used, a while ago already.
I'm not sure they work on most hosting setups now.
I ended up trying to do a ping pong simulator. Very ambitious project and I had already lost lots of time. I ended up drawing a 3d ping pong table using HTML and CSS (perspective and translate), well just the upper part. It was hacky as I could not understand how these CSS properties affected the 3d, but I just kept changing the numbers until I got something that I liked.
I also did some work on a node server, but here again only very basic stuff.
I could continue work on it as a project.

Last edited by rolf (October 3 2015)

#6 October 4 2015

Joe

Screenshots?

#7 October 4 2015

rolf

Joe wrote:

Screenshots?

Okay :) well it's more like a proof of concept, not even that.
I will push it to a repo and have it running on my server, as I would like to continue developing this idea. No need for screenshots, as it's all based on web technologies for the moment. Soon, I'll be back with a URL.

#8 October 4 2015

rolf

My HTML/CSS ping pong table :) (with a ball in the middle).
That thing on the left was supposed to be a building in the background.

rolf.technology/ping-pong

PS: Looks best in Chrome. Looks a bit warped in Firefox. No perspective at all in Safari, and untested in IE.

Last edited by rolf (October 4 2015)

#9 October 5 2015

Joe

Sweet. Have you tried moving the ball on the table?

#10 October 5 2015

rolf

Joe wrote:

Sweet. Have you tried moving the ball on the table?

The ball is just an absolutely positioned div, so it is easy, but it also needs perspective correction applied to it.
I am looking into canvas or webGL.
HTML/CSS could work too if I have a perspective correction calculation function in JS, and use an image for the table, or find a cross-browser way to apply perspective to divs.

Last edited by rolf (October 5 2015)

#11 October 5 2015

Joe

I don't know how to begin applying perspective corrections :(

#12 October 5 2015

rolf

i'm sure its a simple math equasion. maybe applying a transformation to an xyz (3d coordinates) matrix, and can be looked up. not sure if i should go down that road, or just patch some libraries together.

#13 October 11 2015

rolf

Update: studying ball physics.
http://weknowtoomuch.com/ping-pong/ball.html
Press space for pause/resume, and +/- (next to backspace on your keyboard) to slow down/accelerate
It's just a simple "study", using no libraries, just canvas and some javascript (product of my intuition).

This is what I want simulated:
- gravity (obviously)
- static wind resistance
- random wind deflection
- spin (affecting collision with table, bat, and ball trajectory)
- collision and rebound (obviously)

I'm looking into libraries such as physics.js. Here is an example that might be of use: http://jsfiddle.net/wellcaffeinated/KkDb6/
There is a Gihub repo if anyone is interested, but you can see the code in the HTML as well there is no server-side magic happening (yet!).

Note: I'm planning for the game to be 3D, but at the moment I'm only experimenting on 2 dimensions.

Last edited by rolf (October 11 2015)

Board footer