LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 31 2015

Jay

Advice for Computer Engineering at LAU

Hello . It's my first post  . I've been accepted to LAU with a big discount . My major is computer engineering .. I wonder if there is any source of previouses on LAU since I am very worried that I may not maintain the scholarship .. And Any advice for me ?
P.S. : I tried previouses dot com but the confirmation letter never came to my email :')
Thank you in advance :)

#2 August 1 2015

Tech Guru

Re: Advice for Computer Engineering at LAU

@Jay

I Maintained  My Scholarship at LAU (BSc in Applied Computer Science + Minor in Mathematics + Minor in Business Accounting) then My MBA in Finance by maintaining always a GPA of at least 3.2.

By the way why you have chosen Computer Engineering Instead of Computer Science :)

#3 August 1 2015

Elied

Tech Guru wrote:

By the way why you have chosen Computer Engineering Instead of Computer Science :)

Because according to the lebanese mentality computer science is for people who cannot pass/get accepted to engineering and it's an easy major with no job opportunities just like a business degree, this idea is also sadly further supported by the universities here. Therefore people go out of their way, even studying something they hate just so their parents can say " Ana ebne mhandis el awwal bel jem3a" (even though you can become an engineering after completing a BS in computer science).

This might not be the real reason OP chose engineering and I honestly hope it isn't. However that scenario applies to most engineering students here in lebanon.

Last edited by Elied (August 1 2015)

#4 August 1 2015

Tech Guru

I went through  Computer Science (I finished at LAU and chosen my electives wisely (OLAP Tools / Advance Data Bases /Artificial Intelligence / Neural Networks / OOP /  Networking / Computer Organization / File Processing = the Last Three will gave me  a Hardware Overview in addition to an Assembly Language course will not hurt.

After  a person  finishes work for 2-3 years in the domain for practical experience then he go for: 

Some Professional Certifications such as:
Computer Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
Information Technology Infrastructure Library v3
Microsoft Operations Framework 4.0
Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associates

After you fulfill your CV for BSc Computer Science  + Some Professional Certifications + Couple of Years of Experience you will be ready to apply for MS for example or Oracle  --- At this journey you can attain an MBA  to gain some management aspects and you will a cross functional (IT + Management) potential CTO / Director / Consultant  in some big companies not necessarily IT  bounded rather consultancy to such as McKinsey , Strategy& (Formerly Booz & Company but PWC Purchased), Bain & Company etc...

titled "Engineer" and can enter the syndicate is not a norm to get paid in the Telecom/Engineering Industry ;
I know my friends who followed that approach with a BSc in Computer Science as a Start  & now getting paid USD 8000/ Month at Microsoft/Oracle; you may have a look at their LinkedIn profiles to have an overview about their educational/career history & progress.

https://ae.linkedin.com/pub/rola-khoury/53/639/8ab
https://ae.linkedin.com/pub/kareem-okeili/14/533/27a
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mazen-abdallah/18/302/5b2
https://lb.linkedin.com/pub/ihab-issa-m … 81/1b8/445 (My Profile)

#5 August 1 2015

Jay

Hey . Thank you for replying . And yes , I entered computer engineering instead of science because of the "engineer" title and because of all the rumors and facts that say that Computer Engineering is more difficult , more general than the computer science . I hope that I made the right choice .

Board footer