LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 26 2015

AVOlio

PC turning on by itself.

Hey guys,
So it's like the topic says.
After I shut down the pc, it is turning back on.
And it's random, sometimes it turns and sometimes no, but the case has repeated multiple times this week.
And the time that it take to turn on after It shut it down differs also,  sometimes 5 minutes, 10 or just now it took like one hour after I shut it down (for the second time).

So what might  be the problem?
I already scanned the pc with malware bytes, nothing showed.

#2 July 27 2015

Prince

Re: PC turning on by itself.

Check your bios battery

#3 July 27 2015

ironman

It happened once with me, turned out to be a defective PSU.

#4 July 27 2015

TheStunMan

Its possessed !!!!!!

Or there is a scheduled task/script that awakes your pc (which happened to me and i removed the task). There is a default windows maintenance period, you can read more about up here.

#5 July 28 2015

Tech Guru

@AVOlio

1- Format Your Desktop some Malwares go inside the Registry and it is difficult to get rid of / if the problem persisted most probably it is a PSU issue.

#6 July 28 2015

AVOlio

I tried the method provided by TheStunMan, and i think it worked.
I will let update here if it turns on by itself again.

#7 July 28 2015

haidcar

is your PC connected to a UPS? if so it could be the problem

#8 July 28 2015

AVOlio

Yes it is connected to a UPS.
Could you elaborate on how that might be the problem?

#9 July 28 2015

hussam

It could also be network wakeup signals or USB wakeup signals.
Try disconnecting any ethernet cable and USB disk/phone USB cable from the computer before shutting down.
Don't move your mouse or keyboard after initiating the shutdown sequence.

If this helped, then check the bios for USB/ethernet wakeup signal settings and disable them.
If the settings are not being saved, then your bios battery may need replacement.

If none of that helps, then your computer is not powering off after shutdown. Shutdown and poweroff are two completely different things (for instance, hibernate also finishes with a poweroff).
I don't know much about windows but look on technet for possible registry settings that enable/force poweroff after shutdown.

But I really feel this is a wakeup signal issue especially since the timing and frequency of occurrence are random.

Last edited by hussam (July 28 2015)

#10 July 28 2015

AVOlio

Since i tried the method mentioned previously, i haven't had any random start ups after shut downs.
So i am guessing that was the problem, windows waking up my pc for "Maintenance".

But i will keep the thread updated if anything happens.

#11 July 29 2015

AVOlio

Update: it happened again. yesterday night.

#12 July 29 2015

Tech Guru

@AVOlio , In order to limit the problem:

1- What PSU are you using / what is the time period of usage? Are you monitoring your voltages (example while gaming a graphic intensive game)
2- Have you altered any Bios settings recently / downloaded a new software /  a Trojan or malware being detected?
3-What UPS are you using?
4-What Kind of windows are using ? Is it Genuine

Start by drilling down:

Do a Registry  Clean - If Problem Persisted - Do a Windows Format -Shift Critical Data to a Slave HDD & do a Bios Reset - If Problem Persisted - Replace the Bios battery - If Problem Persisted - Start Testing Your PSU (Load Testing / Stress Testing)

#13 July 29 2015

TheStunMan

If you have an Asus motherboard make sure the "Restore AC Power Loss" is set to "Power Off", which is in the APM Configuration in the bios settings.

#14 July 29 2015

scorz

Are you on win 8? If yes, then try disabling "Fast Startup".
I am not sure if it helps, but I had problem with dual-booting because of this (useless) feature.

Off-Topic:
Problems I have faced before disabling fast-restart were:
1- GRUB loader couldn't find win, had to manually add entry for win8 (never encountered  this problem with previous win version)
2- Could not mount NTFS.
3- Ethernet not working.
4- Wifi not working.
5- Laptop battery draining slightly faster.

#15 July 29 2015

haidcar

its most likely a psu problem. Line interactive UPSs tend do that, as power dips down usually when on generators, the PSU kicks into battery mode, but not before the voltage dipping. when battery kicks back the inverter at start could pushing bit too much voltage, which in terns tuns on the PC

Board footer