LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 3 2015

ghattas.akkad

GTS450 Overheating and damaged fan

Hello Guys,
I have the ASUS GTS450 1GB and it is a great VGA hard it since release and was able to play every single game out there but now the heatsink fan stopped working :S I cannot find a replacement, aliexpress has some replacement fans but they require up to 60 days till now
I used ducttape (shartition) to put a cpu fan onto it but it has low AMP and the temperatur is always 85-92

Do you know anyone who keeps damaged vga so I can have the heatsink + fan or are there any ASUS reseller or vga cooling accessories store from which I can get a working fan?

Thank you

#2 July 4 2015

NAM

Re: GTS450 Overheating and damaged fan

There are many youtube videos for this purpose (cleaning and maintaining your VGA) a simple search will help you greatly

#3 July 4 2015

Anthony2000

ghattas.akkad wrote:

Hello Guys,
I have the ASUS GTS450 1GB and it is a great VGA hard it since release and was able to play every single game out there but now the heatsink fan stopped working :S I cannot find a replacement, aliexpress has some replacement fans but they require up to 60 days till now
I used ducttape (shartition) to put a cpu fan onto it but it has low AMP and the temperatur is always 85-92

Do you know anyone who keeps damaged vga so I can have the heatsink + fan or are there any ASUS reseller or vga cooling accessories store from which I can get a working fan?

Thank you

in my opinion you should get a newer card, but if you insist on keeping it, just send some pictures and we will eventually find a ghetto fix for it.

#4 July 4 2015

Tech Guru

@ghattas.akkad That is a very  weak card dude  - replace it asap no need to spend a headache on its heat problems get a new card.

#5 July 4 2015

Anthony2000

Tech Guru wrote:

@ghattas.akkad That is a very  weak card dude  - replace it asap no need to spend a headache on its heat problems get a new card.

Exactly my point.

#7 July 4 2015

ghattas.akkad

The following is the card:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/ENG … tCUDI1GD5/

I attached a case fan to it but it is a low amp fan and keeps the temperature stable at 82C
I have removed the ASUS plastic and the old fan uncovering the heatsink and I attached a Case fan to it
But it seems that I need a better fan model higher(amps) and same size I'll keep looking for damaged cards or a store selling better case fan models.

I'm still on the Q9950 CPU and the VGA is fair and not that weak it will cost about 10$ to fix
getting a new one will require a PSU upgrade + my motherboard only supports a *2 PCIe gen
I'll delay getting a new VGA until the 5th gen intel CPUs and DDR4 Memory get a bit cheaper so I can build a new pc

#8 July 4 2015

Anthony2000

ghattas.akkad wrote:

The following is the card:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/ENG … tCUDI1GD5/

I attached a case fan to it but it is a low amp fan and keeps the temperature stable at 82C
I have removed the ASUS plastic and the old fan uncovering the heatsink and I attached a Case fan to it
But it seems that I need a better fan model higher(amps) and same size I'll keep looking for damaged cards or a store selling better case fan models.

I'm still on the Q9950 CPU and the VGA is fair and not that weak it will cost about 10$ to fix
getting a new one will require a PSU upgrade + my motherboard only supports a *2 PCIe gen
I'll delay getting a new VGA until the 5th gen intel CPUs and DDR4 Memory get a bit cheaper so I can build a new pc

mm yh you are better off building a new PC in the future rather then just waste your money on a new VGA while the rest of the PC cant keep up. i would really like to see the contraption you have going on, so if you could send a pic of the VGA in it's current modded state it would be awesome. for the fan , i would say just get a good 120mm with good CFM and static pressure and you should be good to go.

#9 July 4 2015

Die_Kapitan

ghattas.akkad wrote:

The Q9950 won't bottleneck most mid-end cards, it'll start bottlenecking when you buy a card higher than an R9 280X, you have some pretty good choices at this pricepoint, if you can find an R9 280X for cheap on Newegg get it, if not the R9 380 is your best bet, it trashes the GTX 960 in all games but GTA V, in which it loses by 3-4 fps, within the margin of error, PCIe 2.0 16x is roughly equal to PCIe 3.0 8x,  so it won't bottleneck any cards. And you mean 6th gen Intel CPUs, aka Skylake which will be the first to support DDR4, 5th gen is Broadwell which is a huge waste of money as it only manages to beat Haswell Refresh in the integrated GPU departement. DDR4 will achieve price parity with DDR3 at the end of the year or early next year, it's based on the what people in the industry said, so price parity's not 100% guaranteed.

#10 July 4 2015

Anthony2000

Die_Kapitan wrote:
ghattas.akkad wrote:

The Q9950 won't bottleneck most mid-end cards, it'll start bottlenecking when you buy a card higher than an R9 280X, you have some pretty good choices at this pricepoint, if you can find an R9 280X for cheap on Newegg get it, if not the R9 380 is your best bet, it trashes the GTX 960 in all games but GTA V, in which it loses by 3-4 fps, within the margin of error, PCIe 2.0 16x is roughly equal to PCIe 3.0 8x,  so it won't bottleneck any cards. And you mean 6th gen Intel CPUs, aka Skylake which will be the first to support DDR4, 5th gen is Broadwell which is a huge waste of money as it only manages to beat Haswell Refresh in the integrated GPU departement. DDR4 will achieve price parity with DDR3 at the end of the year or early next year, it's based on the what people in the industry said, so price parity's not 100% guaranteed.

you are partially true , but i personally think that the Q9950, even though it's a quad core at 2.8ghz , will bottleneck anything above the 750ti , it's a really old CPU on a really old architecture(45nm! Yorkfield, maybe?) which doesn't even come close the the performance per core of haswell. believe me i did a lot of research on this particular CPU since my bro has an old rig with an LGA 775 mobo and an e5300 and i wanted to buy this exact CPU in order not to bottleneck his GTX 750, turns out , if you don't OC this thing to 4Ghz minimum it isn't going to do much gaming. so in the end, Ghattas, if (i said if) you want to buy a new VGA , go 750ti and you wont have to worry about bottlenecks or PSU upgrades since i am almost 100% positive that the 750ti uses less power then the GTS 450. Kapitan, you are definitely right when it comes to the PCIe lanes, shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Anthony2000 (July 4 2015)

#11 July 5 2015

Die_Kapitan

Anthony2000 wrote:

you are partially true , but i personally think that the Q9950, even though it's a quad core at 2.8ghz , will bottleneck anything above the 750ti , it's a really old CPU on a really old architecture(45nm! Yorkfield, maybe?) which doesn't even come close the the performance per core of haswell. believe me i did a lot of research on this particular CPU since my bro has an old rig with an LGA 775 mobo and an e5300 and i wanted to buy this exact CPU in order not to bottleneck his GTX 750, turns out , if you don't OC this thing to 4Ghz minimum it isn't going to do much gaming. so in the end, Ghattas, if (i said if) you want to buy a new VGA , go 750ti and you wont have to worry about bottlenecks or PSU upgrades since i am almost 100% positive that the 750ti uses less power then the GTS 450. Kapitan, you are definitely right when it comes to the PCIe lanes, shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, it's a Yorkfield. He will be able to overclock it to at least 3.6 GHz, some people have it at 4.2 GHz, depending on his cooling solution, as long as he keeps the volts south of 1.4. At 4.0 GHz it more or less performs like a Richland core, which is more than enough for any R7, GTX x50, x60 or low-end R9 on the market, implying he doesn't play CPU intensive games like Arma or any new Total War title (Rome II, Attila and Warhammer), and maybe even Rust. It'll keep him going until Skylake arrives, and since most coolers that are compatible with LGA 1150 are compatible with LGA 775, it will be compatible with LGA 1151, aka Skylake's and Kaby Lake (Skylake Refresh)'s socket, he'll be able to get a cooler to overclock the Q9950 and keep it when he builds a new rig.

Last edited by Die_Kapitan (July 5 2015)

#12 July 5 2015

ballad

it will bottleneck
had a Q9550 with a gtx660ti
when i got an i5-4460, my fps in games doubled

#13 July 5 2015

Die_Kapitan

ballad wrote:

it will bottleneck
had a Q9550 with a gtx660ti
when i got an i5-4460, my fps in games doubled

Was it overclocked ? Based on my estimations, since the Q9950 is a tier below the Athlon 750K, and the IPC of AMD cores is roughly equal to Nehalem cores which is better than any Penryn cores, if you overclock the Q9950 to 4.0 GHz, it should be equal to the performance of a 750K at stock speeds, and the 750K should not bottleneck a card that's lower than an R9 280X. I'd take my word with a pinch of salt, it's not proven, it's only based on estimations.

Last edited by Die_Kapitan (July 5 2015)

#14 July 5 2015

ghattas.akkad

Well for the mod it is not that fancy  since I took off the plastic covering the heatsink and since the heatsink is not equally flat the air pressure is lost on both side and I can only cool the middle region
the following is the image

http://s8.postimg.org/8obgnczxx/vgamod.jpg

the fan is only 0.12A I need at least a 0.32 A 12VDC and I will be checking damaged cards for a compatible heatsink+fan that fits
as for the processor I have the Thermaltake TMi1 cooler I can overclock it but it is not worth it since it increases the memory bus speed and my DDR3 memory is only 1333MHz and cannot be overclocked.

the vga is stable at 82C but does not support that much of a load. I've seen people using the GTX770 with the Q9950 and still getting a great result.
I will be aiming for a gtx750ti the one from pcandparts about 182$ I also got an offer for a gt740 4g ddr5 at 90$ which is also very good and I can save about 110$

It's been so long that I bought a radeon card I have a 120hz ready monitor and the nvidia version 1 infrared 3d kit and glasses It would be waste to switch :/
and I am also interested in using the cuda cores on the nvidia cards for development and programing

I will check for spare heatsinks or fans whichever fixes the issue until I sell my fpga dev board and change the nvidia card to a better gen or for something I can keep now and still use with the upgrade

as for the 5th generation I did not go into details for ddr4 compatibility but having a 15mb cache with 6 cores at about 360$ is great I'm only keeping this processor the "Q9950" as it have 12mb cache

#15 July 5 2015

Die_Kapitan

ghattas.akkad wrote:

It's been so long that I bought a radeon card I have a 120hz ready monitor and the nvidia version 1 infrared 3d kit and glasses It would be waste to switch :/
and I am also interested in using the cuda cores on the nvidia cards for development and programing

I will check for spare heatsinks or fans whichever fixes the issue until I sell my fpga dev board and change the nvidia card to a better gen or for something I can keep now and still use with the upgrade

as for the 5th generation I did not go into details for ddr4 compatibility but having a 15mb cache with 6 cores at about 360$ is great I'm only keeping this processor the "Q9950" as it have 12mb cache

Radeon cards supports 120Hz monitors, but they don't have 3D. CUDA cores are noothing special, just Nvidia-only stream processing units, why would one develop using CUDA for Nvidia-only content instead of using OpenCL for everyone ?

Haswell-E is still 4th generation.

#16 July 5 2015

Anthony2000

ghattas.akkad wrote:

Well for the mod it is not that fancy  since I took off the plastic covering the heatsink and since the heatsink is not equally flat the air pressure is lost on both side and I can only cool the middle region
the following is the image

http://s8.postimg.org/8obgnczxx/vgamod.jpg

the fan is only 0.12A I need at least a 0.32 A 12VDC and I will be checking damaged cards for a compatible heatsink+fan that fits
as for the processor I have the Thermaltake TMi1 cooler I can overclock it but it is not worth it since it increases the memory bus speed and my DDR3 memory is only 1333MHz and cannot be overclocked.

the vga is stable at 82C but does not support that much of a load. I've seen people using the GTX770 with the Q9950 and still getting a great result.
I will be aiming for a gtx750ti the one from pcandparts about 182$ I also got an offer for a gt740 4g ddr5 at 90$ which is also very good and I can save about 110$

Oh my God, that's a really small fan, what size is that? 80mm? I would get two 120mms and strap them on there side by side, connect one to the VGA PCB and the other to the motherboard and run them full speed 24/7. that should do it until you get your hands on a new card. don't mess with the heat sink, too much of a hassle.

#17 July 5 2015

ghattas.akkad

@Die_Kapitan I am beginning openCL on my Altera DE1-SoC board but Cuda C is better optimized and Nvidia cards now supports thousands of cuda cores!! I rarely check on the ratings on Radeon cards. and Radeon suppliers are nearly obsolete in Lebanon. and if I order a new card on newegg What will be the extra taxes to pay for when it arrives I remember paying about 90$ for DHL when I got my altera board delivered

@Anthony2000 yeah it is a really bad fan  but this is the only fan that fits and in Tripoli it's hard to find a store supplying accessories.
I checked on pcandparts and the BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm LED Case Fan at 15$ seems an interesting option I will place an order for one and try mounting it on the heatsink

#18 July 6 2015

ghattas.akkad

Well it turns out the fan is already sold out so I placed an order on another fan
1X Cooler Master  R4-LUS-10AR-GP Storm Force 20cm ( Red LED) for $6.00
Total with 10% VAT and $7.00 shipping to your area would be $14.00USD or LP 21500 only.
http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/produ … ce200_red/

I'm paying 7$ shipment for a 6$ item :/ I hope this won't be any trouble to mount

after checking on the internet the fan is being sold for about 24$ I don't see how pcandparts are selling it for 6$ but there is only 1 model number and it should be the same fan but i guess they are mixing products as the provided link shows this:
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/sic … x-red-led/

and macroctronics :
http://www.macrotronics.net/product_inf … 0cm-p-8576

Last edited by ghattas.akkad (July 6 2015)

#19 July 6 2015

Tech Guru

@ghattas.akkad

Always stick with NVidia especially in the future system you are planning to build (gaming or professional usage) ; I worked for a graphic rendering company all workstations were Quadro Enabled  - and as you have mentioned  Cuda C is better optimized and Nvidia cards now supports thousands of cuda cores.

#20 July 6 2015

Die_Kapitan

Tech Guru wrote:

Always stick with NVidia especially in the future system you are planning to build (gaming or professional usage)

Not a fanbot at all.

#21 July 6 2015

Anthony2000

200mm? man that is huge, bigger then the card itself. i wish you had bought two 120mms. you are not going to be able to mount a 200mm fan on that little card... or any card that i know of, no way.

Last edited by Anthony2000 (July 6 2015)

#22 July 6 2015

MohammedSF

Any professional tech should be able to disassemble the fan, clean the magnet/coils/bearings & bushings + apply some grease/oil, this should bring it back to life as good as new..

Apply fresh TIM to the GPU/Mem Chips would be great too..

a367c762_IRE43l.jpeg

#23 July 7 2015

ghattas.akkad

MohammedSF wrote:

Any professional tech should be able to disassemble the fan, clean the magnet/coils/bearings & bushings + apply some grease/oil, this should bring it back to life as good as new..

Apply fresh TIM to the GPU/Mem Chips would be great too..

http://cdn.overclock.net/a/a3/a367c762_IRE43l.jpeg

I drowned it with some grease/oil the day it stopped and still did not work

#24 July 7 2015

ghattas.akkad

Tech Guru wrote:

@ghattas.akkad

Always stick with NVidia especially in the future system you are planning to build (gaming or professional usage) ; I worked for a graphic rendering company all workstations were Quadro Enabled  - and as you have mentioned  Cuda C is better optimized and Nvidia cards now supports thousands of cuda cores.

Yes I enjoy Nvidia products better and AMD is having some financial issues and don't know how long they will last

#25 July 7 2015

Die_Kapitan

ghattas.akkad wrote:

Yes I enjoy Nvidia products better and AMD is having some financial issues and don't know how long they will last

AMD is here to stay. They started profiting since Q2.

Board footer