LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 10 2015

rolf

Retarded Designs

I figured I could open a thread about retarded designs, while trying not to fall in negative rants.
What triggered that is this website:

https://experts.shopify.com/developers

This design looks OK, except for a detail. There is "Want to become a shopify expert? Apply here"  link at the bottom of the list.
The list is an infinite list.

Is that smart or what.
Maybe they ought to hire one of the gazillion expert that they promote on their website to work on it.

Do you have any example of such designs?
Please note that there already is a thread about hopelessly ugly (or non-existent) designs. That's not the same!

Last edited by rolf (June 10 2015)

#2 June 10 2015

MrClass

Re: Retarded Designs

Lol I've seen similar retarded designs in some sites. I can't remember their links but most of them had overlay issues with menus. Certain menu items were impossible to reach. I had to go into the code itself to figure out the URL of the page I needed.

#3 June 10 2015

samer
Admin

I think a more apt term would be design anti-patterns.
An interesting variant of this are dark patterns, user interfaces that intentionally trick users into doing things.

#4 June 10 2015

rolf

Thanks Samer, for putting the right words on it.

#5 June 11 2015

MrClass

You'll see a widely spread dark pattern in installation packages of free software. If let's say you decided to install a free media player and accept the default options just by choosing next -> next -> next (like most people do), you'll end up with a collection of crap-ware along with the package that you need.

The only way to not have these extras be installed is by going into the custom setup and actually tick a check-box which actually is ticked already (that mentions a long statement about having not to install these extra packages); but many don't read through the details and actually untick it, resulting to the same thing above.

I am sometimes amazed by the amount of dedication put in the level of trickery that makes most people install these crap-ware. You can sense the great level of reverse psychology put in the installation wizard. If you don't read carefully and don't go into every custom/advanced config of the setup, you'll definitely end up with shards of extras.

#6 May 5 2016

Salloum

MrClass wrote:

I am sometimes amazed by the amount of dedication put in the level of trickery that makes most people install these crap-ware.

They get paid for it.

Board footer