LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 19 2015

Teksniper

Preparation For Computer Science Major

I am going to major in Computer Science next semester at AUB, and i am wondering what programming language do they usually start teaching, so that i can learn a little bit about it before starting the year. And what other tips can you guys give me regarding course selection and everything related to the CS major in general... Thanks..

#2 May 20 2015

user

Re: Preparation For Computer Science Major

Not sure about AUB, but in most universities usually Java is the language they start teaching students, because it is a very stubborn language and forces to write correct code.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. The serious work you have to do is after the university teaches you the basics(after the first year), to push yourself into learning more on your own, because the basics is all the university will teach you, and your future employers will expect you to be a miracle worker after uni.

#3 May 21 2015

bermudapineapple

As user said, the first language they will teach you is Java. That is what I had to take a few years ago and it probably hasn't changed since then. Don't worry, it's ridiculously easy. They start assuming the only skill you know is how to turn on a computer, so it will take a long time and class will be boring.

Then they will teach you C and C++ in different courses, but you will stay with Java for around 3 courses.

#4 May 21 2015

user

They teach all that in AUB? In LAU they taught me java, 2 courses, and that was it. The rest was math. I could have quit after the first year and it would not have made a damn difference.

The sad part is the java they taught me is not enough for me to call myself a java developer.

#5 May 22 2015

bermudapineapple

Java might have been two courses, I forget, but I think it was 3. And yes, they teach you C and C++.

#6 May 31 2015

Sup3r

Coding should be taught from courses available online and as a self-study, don't expect anything with Lebanese univ's. If you value having a solid foundation covering only the basics, go for it.

Board footer