LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 16 2015

hussam

Wordpress alternatives

Anyone knows any alternatives to wordpress? I want something that uses php/mysql, has documented functions, a comment template, lets me import posts (converting wordpress xml/wxr shouldn't be a problem), allows custom permalink paths, etc...but lighter than Wordpress and without the security headaches.
Thank you.

#2 March 16 2015

rolf

Re: Wordpress alternatives

Alternatives for what exactly?
State your needs first.

#3 March 16 2015

hussam

Wordpress is a php blogging script but they aren't removing deprecated wordpress functions and they are keeping support for old php versions. While I know the codebase and APIs very well by now (enough to write my own plugins), I am searching for some other blog script with the specifications mentioned in the first post.

Last edited by hussam (March 16 2015)

#4 March 16 2015

Hybrid

"ghost" Never tried it myself but heard few good things about it.

#5 March 16 2015

hussam

Thank you. I will download it and try it.

#6 March 16 2015

rolf

hussam wrote:

Wordpress is a php blogging script but they aren't removing deprecated wordpress functions and they are keeping support for old php versions. While I know the codebase and APIs very well by now (enough to write my own plugins), I am searching for some other blog script with the specifications mentioned in the first post.

Wordpress is being used for everything nowadays aside being a blogging platform. Not a good thing if you ask me. But anyway that's why I ask what you need.

#7 March 17 2015

hussam

rolf wrote:
hussam wrote:

Wordpress is being used for everything nowadays aside being a blogging platform. Not a good thing if you ask me. But anyway that's why I ask what you need.

What would you suggest instead?

#8 March 17 2015

samer
Admin

Hussam, we can't suggest a better alternative if you don't tell us what you intend on doing with it. I agree that Wordpress has become much more than a blogging platform. If it is a blog platform you are after, ghost comes to mind. Their core value is that they are just a blogging platform.

#9 March 17 2015

hussam

Well, I thought I already mentioned 'blog script' a few times already, but ok, I need a php blog script which I can use for blogging.
Ghost needs node.js which I can't install on shared hosting.
Wordpress is wonderful and well documented but its huge popularity means they are keeping old APIs to support old plugins/themes and just adding new ones. I want something I can tinker with.

Last edited by hussam (March 17 2015)

#10 March 17 2015

cgsawma

You can check cakePHP.
Its well documented and you can build a blog using couple of php codes..

#11 March 17 2015

hussam

cgsawma wrote:

You can check cakePHP.
Its well documented and you can build a blog using couple of php codes..

Thank you. That looks very interesting.

Board footer