LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 28 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

Samsung S6 and HTC M9 tomorrow!

Hello!
Just for mobile lovers, tomorrow Samsung and HTC will unveil in live feeds their incoming flagship phones.
S6 and S6 Edge as well as M9 (and perhaps M9+)
Many mobile websites will cover live these events

#2 March 1 2015

LifeEngineer

Re: Samsung S6 and HTC M9 tomorrow!

And of course you prefer the M9! I do too!

#3 March 1 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

I am not really enthusiast for the M9 this time, S6 Edge looks better, Z4 could be too.
Tired to have the same design 3 years in a row, though the UI of Sense is still miles better, so dunno

#4 March 1 2015

Die_Kapitan

I think HTC will surprise us with the M9's design. One has to admit it, the HTC One M8 has been the best looking phone in the past few years.

#5 March 1 2015

bermudapineapple

Is there a live feed somewhere?

Just realized how retarded my question was. Are there any websites in specific and what time does the show start?

Last edited by bermudapineapple (March 1 2015)

#6 March 1 2015

Die_Kapitan

#7 March 1 2015

Die_Kapitan

HTC partnered with Valve and are set to release a VR headset called HTC Vive later this year.

#8 March 1 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

What a pity!
This 2015 year is bad for phone lovers
M9 is exactly like M8
S6 Edge is sexy but will be overpriced, Touchwiz is still a kid UI and no audiophile advantages.
Z4 is a ghost, could be seen next week like in July or September.
I think I will keep my M8 and flash a Sense 7 port from the M9

#9 March 1 2015

DNA

i may be an idiot lol, but can someone explain to me the fuss about new phones.. i mean they are all the same and all are capable since 2011 to run any game or application you throw at them i still own a relatively old phone with a custom rom and its still a solid reliable fast phone that can run anything. in my opinion buying new phone every couple months is just a tremendous waste of money knowing that they are all the same. if you own an m8 whats the advantages of buying an m9 ??? other than showoff? new phone prices are so high looking at the hardware specs they are about the price of  good PC but only offer fraction of the computing power someone tell me i am wrong

Last edited by DNA (March 1 2015)

#10 March 1 2015

Die_Kapitan

vegetaleb wrote:

What a pity!
This 2015 year is bad for phone lovers
M9 is exactly like M8
S6 Edge is sexy but will be overpriced, Touchwiz is still a kid UI and no audiophile advantages.
Z4 is a ghost, could be seen next week like in July or September.
I think I will keep my M8 and flash a Sense 7 port from the M9

HTC is releasing Sense 7 to previous One devices, later this year.

#11 March 1 2015

Die_Kapitan

DNA wrote:

i may be an idiot lol, but can someone explain to me the fuss about new phones.. i mean they are all the same and all are capable since 2011 to run any game or application you throw at them i still own a relatively old phone with a custom rom and its still a solid reliable fast phone that can run anything. in my opinion buying new phone every couple months is just a tremendous waste of money knowing that they are all the same. if you own an m8 whats the advantages of buying an m9 ??? other than showoff? new phone prices are so high looking at the hardware specs they are about the price of  good PC but only offer fraction of the computing power someone tell me i am wrong

No one can tell you you're wrong, but mobiles are way smaller than PCs, nearly all mobiles are smaller than GPUs, you won't encounter mobiles with a PC's performance until the mid-2020s

#12 March 1 2015

vegetaleb
Banned

Note 4 is not bad, at least it has SDcard slot (not the S6)

#13 March 1 2015

haidcar

Die_Kapitan wrote:
DNA wrote:

No one can tell you you're wrong, but mobiles are way smaller than PCs, nearly all mobiles are smaller than GPUs, you won't encounter mobiles with a PC's performance until the mid-2020s

in 2025 smartphone hardware will be 2-4X more powerful than ultra gaming PCs of 2015, but they will never match the power of current PC at that time.

#14 March 1 2015

bermudapineapple

Well, that was weird. I didn't know Samsung started making iPhones.

#15 March 1 2015

Die_Kapitan

haidcar wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:
DNA wrote:

in 2025 smartphone hardware will be 2-4X more powerful than ultra gaming PCs of 2015, but they will never match the power of current PC at that time.

But they'd match a mid-end PC.

#16 March 1 2015

haidcar

tt400 wrote:

Well, that was weird. I didn't know Samsung started making iPhones.

what makes you say that, haven't you seen their new originally named SamsungPay

#17 March 1 2015

haidcar

Die_Kapitan wrote:
haidcar wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:

the new architectures are being designed are mobile first.
to elaborate on that, take Nvidia's Maxwell High end cores; when used in GTX 980 (GM204) it employes 2048 shader units, 128 texture unit, and 64 render output units.

In Mobile form factor "for Laptop" (GM204) Maxwell uses 1536 shader units, 96 texture units, and 64 render output units.

For Ultra mobile "tablets, smartphones" Maxwell uses 256 shader units, 16 texture units, and 16 render output units.

To see the big picture you need to start looking first at the ultra mobile version and how it scales up to mobile version with added SMM, and ultimately scales the full desktop version. put it in simpler terms the full desktop version is basically an ultra mobile part with more cores.

Currently the only two things that stops Nvidia from putting a Full GTX 980 in your smartphone are Heat, and Power concentrate. Phones have limited TDP usually 5-7W, a full blown GTX 980 got 165W TDP that would melt your smartphone, and consume your battery within minutes.
New advancements in Process node shrinks will eventually, will allow us to double the number of transistors on chip, thus putting more "cores" while maintaining same power envelope. But  the desktop and the mobile counterparts will also get the same treatment meaning all 3 branches will keep on advancing as well.

Today The Tegra X, a mobile chip that can put in smartphones or tablets got 512 GFLOPS FP32 of processing power to put that in perspective that's equivalent to a desktop class Nvidia GT 640. While the GT640 can maintain it's performance due to larger thermal design, and power available, the X1's GPU will throttle much sooner to prevent damage, peaking only for short bursts.

I hope I was able to explain my point well, and did not bore anyone to death.

#18 March 2 2015

DNA

Die_Kapitan wrote:
haidcar wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:

no one yet explained to me why you upgrade phones every couple months?
anyway the point of what i said isn't because i need a phone with pc like performance or i am looking forward to that. the point is that the hardware upgrades between newly released phones doesn't explain in anyway their higher prices.. its like someone buys a 200$ Gtx760 and couple months later he upgrades to a 700$ Gtx 760ti where is the logic in that, you are paying 800$ for a phone that should only cost 50$ more of the previous model. you get a very small increase in specs while paying huge amount of money for it.. M8,M9 ; S4,S5 ; Z1,Z3 ; G2,G3 all are the same

Last edited by DNA (March 2 2015)

#19 March 2 2015

LifeEngineer

DNA wrote:

anyway the point of what i said isn't because i need a phone with pc like performance or i am looking forward to that. the point is that the hardware upgrades between newly released phones doesn't explain in anyway their higher prices.. its like someone buys a 200$ Gtx760 and couple months later he upgrades to a 700$ Gtx 760ti where is the logic in that, you are paying 800$ for a phone that should only cost 50$ more of the previous model. you get a very small increase in specs while paying huge amount of money for it.. M8,M9 ; S4,S5 ; Z1,Z3 ; G2,G3 all are the same

Technically speaking you're right but it's not like that!
It's a passion and a hobby!
I, personally, would like to try every phone out there! Not exaggerating! I would be very happy to do it!
I like smartphones and it's my passion!
Same as hunting let's say! It's an expensive hobby and practically it may be better to buy the birds instead of hunting them! But people still do it anyways!

#20 March 2 2015

Stygmata
Banned

my phone's battery last more than 16 hours , with dual sim ..this is what matters

#21 March 2 2015

bermudapineapple

DNA wrote:

I agree, which is why I always upgrade after several generations. I've owned two computers in the last 9 years (which includes two GPUs). I've always played my games on the highest graphics and used my PC with the fastest speed, yet I don't buy new parts every six months or so.

I generally have the same attitude with phones, however it's a little different. A smartphone seems not to last as long as a computer in terms of speed/graphics, and smartphones are always coming out with new features (finger sensor, improved cameras, fast charging, etc.) that people are compelled to upgrade to receive.

The last "big" thing about computers was the SSD/6/8-core CPUs. Of course there were many other changes in terms of motherboards and GPUs, but those changes were small. You could install an SSD/new GPU/CPU on an old computer, but you can't install a new camera or finger sensor on your old smartphone. In this way, phones do have shorter lifespans on average. But not 6-months/1-year short! I agree with you there.

#22 March 2 2015

Die_Kapitan

DNA wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:
haidcar wrote:

I don't upgrade my phone every month, I upgrade each year or two. PC-wise I upgrade at every tick and every new GPU architecture.

#23 March 2 2015

mohammadk97

Die_Kapitan wrote:
DNA wrote:
Die_Kapitan wrote:

I don't upgrade my phone every month, I upgrade each year or two. PC-wise I upgrade at every tick and every new GPU architecture.

Hopefully, Project Ara will end all these problems.

#24 March 2 2015

haidcar

My final thought on the devices.

HTC One M9: feels like a step in the wrong direction, They had been touting the Ultra Pixel for 2 years just be abandoned and go straight to the meaningless Megapixel race, While true 4 mega pixels were lacking in 2014, they were large pixels 2 Microns in size which resulted in very low noise levels and great low light performance. the new sensor is small, 1/2.4 which results in small 1.1 micron pixel, and what makes things even worse is the lack of OIS, a must for low light photography with this sensor. In short HTC should have went with a better sensor that offers better overall performance such as the IMX240 from Sony that is used on the Note 4, and the new Galaxy s6.

Samsung S6 and S6 Edge: they did well this year, expect the S6 and S6 edge to be a success, unlike last year's S5 flop, Both models have great specs, and the Edge has nice design ( I can't believe I am saying that about Samsung), but as usual it strikes quite a resemblance to the iphone (6) . Touchwiz on the other hand, while improved still looks horribly, something like a 5 year old made in drawing class.

Last edited by haidcar (March 3 2015)

#25 March 3 2015

DNA

LifeEngineer wrote:

Technically speaking you're right but it's not like that!
It's a passion and a hobby!
I, personally, would like to try every phone out there! Not exaggerating! I would be very happy to do it!
I like smartphones and it's my passion!
Same as hunting let's say! It's an expensive hobby and practically it may be better to buy the birds instead of hunting them! But people still do it anyways!

although i really can't grasp the idea or benefit behind such a hobby.. but well you convinced me and it's a solid reason.

Edit: I am a hunter myself and a good one :) was thinking about what you said, actually buying birds is actually way more expensive than to hunt them yourself unless you are a terrible hunter lol. but you know what i don't eat birds, so i am actually wasting my money to just shoot and giveaway my birds.. it makes sense now that you have an expensive hobby that has no benefit.

Last edited by DNA (March 3 2015)

Board footer