LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 2 2015

bermudapineapple

DSL only working when phone line is open?

The internet only works when I open the phone line! As soon as I close it, links stop loading. Open the line again, and all the links load. Anyone know the problem?

#2 March 2 2015

Stygmata
Banned

Re: DSL only working when phone line is open?

looks like a "high open" case
check this link for more info : http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11821

Last edited by Stygmata (March 2 2015)

#3 March 2 2015

bermudapineapple

Stygmata wrote:

looks like a "high open" case
check this link for more info : http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11821

Thanks a lot, man.

#4 March 3 2015

DNA

yea it seems that its the case, connect the modem to the phone line without any splitter or filters. directly to the line comming to your house. if problem persists time to call ogero

#5 March 3 2015

bermudapineapple

DNA wrote:

yea it seems that its the case, connect the modem to the phone line without any splitter or filters. directly to the line comming to your house. if problem persists time to call ogero

I think the problem is from the phone line outside my house so I think I will still experience the problem if I try that. It's because the problems arose after it rained and snowed a lot here, so I think some damage was done outside.

#6 March 4 2015

Johnaudi

Do you have a DSL filter installed? They cost about 5$ just install it on your phone line. It separates the phone signals with the DSL one.
If you have WAN though I'm not sure if DSL filters exist for that.

Last edited by Johnaudi (March 4 2015)

#7 March 4 2015

bermudapineapple

Yup, I have a filter on the main modem's phone line. I am certain it's from outside because even the phone line sounds horrible (bi 5ash5ish) and this all started after the "3asfe."

#8 March 4 2015

DNA

Johnaudi wrote:

Do you have a DSL filter installed? They cost about 5$ just install it on your phone line. It separates the phone signals with the DSL one.
If you have WAN though I'm not sure if DSL filters exist for that.

man the splitter or filter isn't even necessary on the line, it is a simple Low-pass filter which ONLY filters DSL signals from reaching the phone, the phone signals are still connected to the modem. you can confirm that by simply looking at the circuit or plugging your phone in the Modem port on the splitter and you will see that you still can make calls normally.. the sole purpose for them is to remove high frequency squeaky noise to be heard from the phone.

My home setup which is the best, is to find the wire coming to your house from the pole or box whatever(probably two wires with striped ends) cut the the rj45 connector from one end of the modem and solder it directly to the line with no splitters or filters whatsoever.. on the same line solder a filter or a splitter AFTER the modem wire and connect it to the rest of the house. the whole point is to make the modem directly connected to the line comming from outside without any splitter or filter and you should see great stability boost.

Edit: just a simple explanation.
Home%20ADSL%20splitter%20circuit..jpg

if you look at the image you will simply see that the Modem port is DIRECTLY connected to the input line with no components influencing it, that tell you that DSL doesnt need a splitter to work.
while phone port is connected after several inductors and capacitors which are solely acting as frequency range low pass filter..so also the Phone doesnt need a splitter to work properly its just that it is installed for you to not to hear dsl noises in the phone while "maybe" sacrificing a bit of line quality

Last edited by DNA (March 4 2015)

#9 March 5 2015

bermudapineapple

But doesn't that depend on how the wires are set up in in the building? So for my building, we have all the wires leading into a specific room on the first floor, and then everything there is rerouted to the specific floors. If I wanted to do what you were suggesting, I would have to put the modem on the first floor of our building.

#10 March 5 2015

DNA

tt400 wrote:

But doesn't that depend on how the wires are set up in in the building? So for my building, we have all the wires leading into a specific room on the first floor, and then everything there is rerouted to the specific floors. If I wanted to do what you were suggesting, I would have to put the modem on the first floor of our building.

Yea that will not work in a building its a lot of hassle and as you said there are lots of wires routed inside walls that will affect it anyways...
i live in a house fortunately so when ogero installed the line they left the wires coming from the pole outside the house, i wired it myself till immediately beside the router and did this trick.. and the benefit of that is that i am the ONLY one in my village that have 1mbps all people here are still on 256kbps  (trololo friends and neighbors)  and moreover i DISABLED interleaving on a line that can't handle 1mpbs with interleaving properly so imagine the amount of Signal quality required for that on a 6KM+ line, 1 thing to mention is that you need a router with good chipset.. the one that did the trick surprisingly is the dlink 2730u for 20$ :)

#11 March 6 2015

m_zeid

now wait a minute there DNA (3illa2et 7alak )

I'm with everything you said, and was willing to do it, but I live in a building too and tel box is installed on the building out side wall with 4 meters height, bottom line not easy to reach and work with to install.

Now, you said that you  DISABLED interleaving, how you did that?

#12 March 6 2015

Stygmata
Banned

If interleaving is set on the DSLAM ( in the CO ) the user cannot disable it .
if not , certain routers can give you the capability to turn off or decrease it .

#13 March 6 2015

m_zeid

Stygmata wrote:

if not , certain routers can give you the capability to turn off or decrease it .

I know it's on the DSLAM side not the user, and I don't if ogero and ISP employees know how to turn it off.

#14 March 7 2015

DNA

m_zeid wrote:
Stygmata wrote:

I know it's on the DSLAM side not the user, and I don't if ogero and ISP employees know how to turn it off.

i am not a user Stygmata i am a #su  anyway yea its set on DSLAM cannot be disabled by user.. but sometimes if the router is using ADSL2 or 2+ the protocol allows the modem on both sides to reduce the interleaving depth if signal quality is very high.. but it still doesn't come close to disabled interleaving max 75ms to europe ping, but keep an eye on the lovely CRC erros lol, anyway few in ogero will know what your talking about unless you find the right person ;) anyway if your line has in excess of 16db s/n and less than 40db attenuation call 1515 and ask for it.

Last edited by DNA (March 7 2015)

#15 March 10 2015

m_zeid

my snr is above 35
and att is lower than 30
and things can get better if rewire the phone cables in walls since they are in horrible condition
only if there is a chance they will do it, otherwise I'll not bother

heck, I wish can allow me to run a fiber from the CO to my place

#16 March 12 2015

DNA

If you insist you will get it with those stats
you wont imagine how terrible my stats are and i got it. my SNR is 14-16 attenuation is a whopping 61db.. max attainable rate is 1.8mbps lol

#17 March 12 2015

GreenM

Last edited by GreenM (March 12 2015)

Board footer