LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 10 2015

Locha

Back to Programming ... After a Decade

I've majored in Computer & Communications Engineering and took some programming courses back then like C++ & Java. I liked it and got good grades. Due to my major and some other concerns, I didn't practice much in the following years which requires from me nowadays to review all over again.

My question is what would you advise as a Programming Language to adapt and learn nowadays? If you want to create a WordPress Blog, you have to acquire good knowledge of PHP for example but what I am seeing abroad that Python is becoming one of the most popular programming languages.

Looking forward for your feedbacks.

#2 February 10 2015

rolf

Re: Back to Programming ... After a Decade

*beep* PHP. Forget it.
Start with JavaScript if you wan to do web stuff.
If you really need server side learn node.js
If you are lucky you will never have to touch PHP code but realistically speaking some is bound to cross your way at some point.

#3 February 10 2015

Joe

Don't think in terms of programming language. You'll be fine whichever you choose. Think in terms of domain-specific skills.
You want to learn to create a Wordpress blog, learn to use Wordpress. If you want to create a tool similar to Wordpress, learn about the web, http, databases, api design, code architecture, web servers, etc. If you want to publish a blog, there are cooler ways than wordpress (checkout Jekyll, Octopress or Pelican for instance).

Programming shouldn't be your goal, it should be a step towards something. Define an objective and ask a more specific question, even if it's something as simple as "How can I get a job as a programmer?"

#4 February 12 2015

Sup3r

To create a WordPress blog or a Forum, you don't have to learn a programming language, otherwise if you're into webapps coding, consider a scripting language such as PHP with SQL for database management. That will give you a solid foundation to start with, you'll then dive into JS and the latest modern prototypes. That way you'll grasp the concepts faster.

2-cents.

Last edited by Sup3r (February 12 2015)

#5 February 14 2015

Locha

Thanks for the advices guys. I appreciate it.

Board footer