LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 6 2015

Locha

Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

Hello,

I got a refurbished Thinkpad Edge 520 on which Windows 7 is installed. Do you advise to install Windows 8.1 instead of 7? What are the suggestions? I feel comfortable working on Windows 7 and don't know if the move will make it easier or harder for me to work.

#2 February 6 2015

AvoK95

Re: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

Keep the original license and keep your Windows up-to-date. It's really important.

7 vs 8/8.1 doesn't matter at all right now. You'll get a free Windows 10 update either-way.

#3 February 6 2015

Flakk

Personally I would recommend you to stay with Windows 7 for the time being. When windows 10 gets released you can upgrade for free for the first year.

#4 February 12 2015

user

Windows 7, I didn't like windows 8 at all (I am using it now as I am typing this post) The gui has changed, they removed windows benchmark tools(performance index), some programs are acting unusually crazy that used to run fine on 7, and after 6 month of using it I fail to find an improved feature or reason to prefer it over 7.

I keep it because it's my work laptop(I don't actually own it) and it's original.

#5 February 13 2015

bermudapineapple

I have a question about the free upgrade to Windows 10. Do I get a serial key with the upgrade so I can reinstall it if I choose to format my PC or would I have to reinstall my copy of Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10 all over again if I wanted to format my Windows 10 drive?

EDIT: And if the latter is the case, what happens when a year passes and Windows 10 is no longer free for upgrade? Would I have to go out and buy a brand new copy if I wanted to format?

Last edited by bermudapineapple (February 13 2015)

#6 February 13 2015

AvoK95

We don't know that yet. Some are saying that it's gonna be a Windows Update (Like OTA), other are saying that they give you a new key.

#7 February 13 2015

bermudapineapple

AvoK95 wrote:

We don't know that yet. Some are saying that it's gonna be a Windows Update (Like OTA), other are saying that they give you a new key.

Yup, I heard it was through Windows Update. I hope we get a key with it that's tied to the MOBO, that way no one can pirate and we get to format whenever we want.

#8 February 13 2015

AvoK95

Well after you upgrade to 10 with Windows Update, you can always use Magic JellyBean tool to get the key of Win 10. Then you just use any Win10 ISO and use that key.

#9 February 13 2015

bermudapineapple

AvoK95 wrote:

Well after you upgrade to 10 with Windows Update, you can always use Magic JellyBean tool to get the key of Win 10. Then you just use any Win10 ISO and use that key.

Ah, I wasn't aware of Magic JellyBean. Thanks.

Board footer