LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 8 2006

WizaRd

HDD Physical Data extraction

Hey guys, a friend's laptop just got hit by a probably electricity dysfunction , his hard disk is not getting past the windows loading screen.

I tried to get into Safe Mode, but the files are loading VERY slowly.. it takes like 15-20imns to load all the .sys/.dll files and when it comes to the end it is an automatic reboot.

I tried to install a copy of Windows from a bootable CD but it just kept saying "Hard disk is either, too full, damaged, unformatted, " and something along the lines of "you have to format first before you install windows"

We have not tried to format it yet because he wants to recover some important information from his hard drive first .

I read that rolf had somewhat of an identical case with his hard disk, does anyone know how much a physical data extraction would cost ? and where is the best place/person to go to ?

Thanks for sharing any useful information.

#2 August 8 2006

samer
Admin

Re: HDD Physical Data extraction

Have you tried booting from a linux LiveCD ? try Damn Small Linux or Knoppix.

#3 August 8 2006

WizaRd

Nope I havent, I never had or used linux before I'm afraid.

If you could help me or know someone who is experienced with this (sounds intresting) we maybe could meet somewhere and try it.

Thanks for the reply :)

#4 August 8 2006

rolf

Get a working PC with windoze and install rstudio harddisk recovery program, then hook up the hard disk to that PC and scan it with rstudio. If the hardware is intact you should be getting back most of your data.

Otherwise I know a guy in leb that can try to get data off a physically defective drive. Of course he can also get data off a physically okay drive... if you dont feel like trying to do that yourself... but you'd be spending money... :) he will charge you 50$ and upwards, I think...

Edit:
I receved several PMs asking for the number. Since I DONT CHECK MY PM BOX very often, if you want the number or info of that guy, please POST IN THIS THREAD. I will reply ASAP by PM.

Last edited by rolf (August 23 2007)

#5 August 8 2006

WizaRd

how do i exactly hook up a hard drive thats in a laptop? never opened one of those before

damn im a nub  guess everyone started like that lol

but thanks for the input rolf ill try to look it up a bit on the internet while waiting for your answer!

#6 August 9 2006

samer
Admin

Flyingwizard, here's how you download a LiveCD and use it. I left you the choice between knoppix and damn small linux, they both do the job..

* official sites:

- knoppix: www.knoppix.org
- damn small linux: www.damnsmalllinux.org

* downloading:

- knoppix: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
- dsl: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

1. Download the .iso files
2. Burn them to a CD using your favoirte CD burning software (I recommend DeepBurner or Nero).
3. Make sure that your BIOS settings allow CDs to boot before the HD.
4. Boot from the CD and play the magic :) (you'll see your hard drive on the desktop)

If you encounter any further problem, we will be happy to assist you

#7 August 9 2006

mahdoum

no we won't  Just kidding I've used Knoppix Live CD and its pretty good, and if ur not in a hurry you can wait till I come back and will give u free ubuntu live cd lol

#8 August 9 2006

mir

You can use a Windows XP Live CD if you are not familiar with the knoppix or damn small Linux.
but believe me, they have a nice interface and are really really really (really) easy to use
the difference is that in the case of Windows XP live CD you have to make your own one and use it later... so it is kinda harder and will cost u more time

good luck with the downloading :)
Another reason to always have a Secured Back up of ur data lol (this is basic stuff)

#9 August 9 2006

samer
Admin

mir, I think he already tried a winXP CD...

#10 August 10 2006

WizaRd

KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso 

Would downloading this 696MB file be enough ? or is there any other .iso to download ?

#11 August 10 2006

samer
Admin

it is enough, download it and burn it (remember, a .iso is an image file, so choose "burn CD from image" option). Oh and damn small linux is much smaller 50MB i think.

#12 August 10 2006

WizaRd

hehe well, i guess i'll download the dsl then  my 300MB/day doesnt allow much bandwidth

#13 August 11 2006

WizaRd

Ok i burned the copy of DSL to a CD and ran it.. now im in the linux thing

I see on the desktop some icons i am not familiar with such as:

Aterminal , Beaver, DSLpanel, Dillo, Emelfm, Firefox, AxyFTP, myDSL, Rdesktop, siag, sylpheed, ted, VNCviewer, Xmms, Xpaint, Xpdf, Xzgv

I have not seen any hard drive icon or anything similar to it on the dektop, and whenver i try to browse the thing , all i can explore is the Live CD files...

Any tips/hints ? thx

#14 August 11 2006

WizaRd

I tried to open DSLpanel and backup/restore typing in the word "hda1" but came with no result :S

#15 August 12 2006

WizaRd

im downloading the Knoppix one now... in case

Board footer