LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 7 2014

rolf

Code Architecture

To be honest, I'm at a point where I am writing a lot of code repetitively. I want to package this code in a way where I can reuse it so that I have to type less code, and in a way where changes, updates and bug-fixes can be propagated across code. On the other hand I would like to keep the flexibility and ease of understanding of "loose code".
I'm guessing this is the domain of "software architecture", if I'm not mistaken. One way which I've went down a couple of time already, because it's simple and accessible, is to just package everything into function libraries. This sounds good, but I've come across limitations in this scenario before - sometimes objects make sense. But using objects and classes multiplies the complexity.
So this is just me ranting on about the topic, with the hope of receiving useful feedback and other stories. There is a lot of confusion and vagueness all around.

#2 September 7 2014

Joe

Re: Code Architecture

This is where studying some web frameworks would help. I'm assuming you're talking about developing websites and/or webapps.

Packaging your code into reliably reusable pieces is a difficult problem. The good news is that many people before you have tried to solve it and came up with open source solutions to it. My suggestion for you is to spend some time reading, learning, practicing whatever other available framework you can.

Try out at least 5 separate frameworks. Learn them well enough so you can do a simple app like a TODO list or a Twitter-like. It should give you enough insight. If you're intent on using your own code, you could roll out your own framework from scratch, for your own personal use only. But it won't hurt looking at what others are doing.

#3 September 9 2014

rolf

Re: Code Architecture

Thanks. That's a good start. The problem that I'm having is that I hardly find enough time and motivation to train myself to use these frameworks, let alone to hack them! The documentation also usually seems to be geared towards "getting started" and using them, not really understanding the architecture of the codebase behind all that.
I was hoping there would be a faster and easier way.

Last edited by rolf (September 9 2014)

Board footer