LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 July 2 2014

kfc

Re: Feedback for IDM

gamer4life wrote:
kfc wrote:

i dont think so because they start their fair use policy by defining UNLIMITED ACCESS / UNLIMITED TRAFFIC!!!

And....? Please explain more what you mean.

it means that the scope of application of fair use policy is the period of UNLIMITED ACCESS / UNLIMITED TRAFFIC. otherwise why the need to define UNLIMITED ACCESS / UNLIMITED TRAFFIC?

#77 July 2 2014

trent

Guys for the best monitoring of your speeds I recommend using a network meter, like networx on windows. http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

All those online speed tests are extremely inaccurate.

You can see your speed fluctuation second by second when downloading from your preferred services, to make sure your connection is stable. It measures in bits/s or bytes/s. And as an added bonus you can keep a tally of your capacity usage

#78 July 2 2014

gamer4life

kfc wrote:
gamer4life wrote:
kfc wrote:

i dont think so because they start their fair use policy by defining UNLIMITED ACCESS / UNLIMITED TRAFFIC!!!

And....? Please explain more what you mean.

it means that the scope of application of fair use policy is the period of UNLIMITED ACCESS / UNLIMITED TRAFFIC. otherwise why the need to define UNLIMITED ACCESS / UNLIMITED TRAFFIC?

No, it's scope is not necessarily the UNLIMITED night, if you keep reading on how it works, they said they will be monitoring your consumption during periods(focus on the S) If they meant between 11-7 they would've said this just period.
Yesterday I downloaded a 3GB file between 11-3 and watched a lot of videos after then and my speed didn't drop a KB. For the FUP to be applied it would have been applied directly like the guys with the unlimited plans who directly got FUP'd.

#79 July 2 2014

NickTheQuick

Yesterday i downloaded 5 gb during the day at a 256 kb/s speed. When i came back home my speed was dropped to 128kb/s. I started downloading again at 11 pm and the speed was back to normal (256kb/s). I'm on the 2mbps/unlimited plan so FUP seems not to be applied on the free night traffic.

#80 July 2 2014

gamer4life

NickTheQuick wrote:

Yesterday i downloaded 5 gb during the day at a 256 kb/s speed. When i came back home my speed was dropped to 128kb/s. I started downloading again at 11 pm and the speed was back to normal (256kb/s). I'm on the 2mbps/unlimited plan so FUP seems not to be applied on the free night traffic.

Yup, that's what I'm trying to say.
FUP is not at night it's during the day.

#81 July 2 2014

rtp

gamer4life wrote:
NickTheQuick wrote:

Yup, that's what I'm trying to say.
FUP is not at night it's during the day.

unless you are subscribe to the unlimited plan, i felt the FUP the next day when i downloaded at night.

#82 July 2 2014

gamer4life

@rtp
You're subscribed to what? And when did your speed decrease? And what time was your heavy downloading before the FUP?

#83 July 2 2014

kfc

I just called IDM 's customer care and I got the following reply:
- Regarding FUP, she said that it applies to unlimited plans only, It doesn't apply to plans with pre-defined quotas even at night!
- Regarding speed upgrades, she told me that if you are not already getting 2 mbps, it means that your line can't handle such speed. Yesterday, the technical support had told me that my line can handle 2 mbps and it will be upgraded within 2 days. Whom should I believe? Or both sides are clueless about the reality???

#84 July 2 2014

gamer4life

check your line attenuation. And about how far are you from the central?

#85 July 2 2014

kfc

Attenuation is 51 and i live 5km away from the central. but the technical support  confirmed i can get 2 mbps.

Last edited by kfc (July 2 2014)

#86 July 2 2014

gamer4life

That's weird, try calling them another time and ask another person.

#87 July 2 2014

trent

51db attenuation should in theory allow about 4mbps connection. But you also have to consider signal quality (SNR).
Note that the SNR will automatically deteriorate when you sync at a higher speed, because you lose some of the error correction capability on the line when you increase the sync bandwidth (more bins/tones used for data)

#88 July 2 2014

kfc

gamer4life wrote:

That's weird, try calling them another time and ask another person.

I did that. They new guy told me that not all centrals were upgraded. A set of centrals is planned to be upgraded today and another set tomorrow. He said that in principle, my line can get 2 mbps but he will ask IDM guys at the central to perform a feasibility test and get back to me tomorrow with a 100% confirmed answer. Si I got hope back

#89 July 2 2014

kfc

trent wrote:

51db attenuation should in theory allow about 4mbps connection. But you also have to consider signal quality (SNR).
Note that the SNR will automatically deteriorate when you sync at a higher speed, because you lose some of the error correction capability on the line when you increase the sync bandwidth (more bins/tones used for data)

SN is 8. is that good?

#90 July 2 2014

NickTheQuick

kfc wrote:
trent wrote:

SN is 8. is that good?

It's bad man. Sorry !

#91 July 2 2014

kfc

trent wrote:

If SN is 8 how much it will deteriorate if speed increases from 1 to 2 mbps?

#92 July 2 2014

kfc

i was just upgraded to 2mbps hahaha

#93 July 2 2014

gamer4life

kfc wrote:

Congrats man

#94 July 2 2014

trent

Congrats! You really want your SNR to stay above 10db to leave some room for normal fluctuation due to temperature changes and unavoidable interference.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16220

Edit: Enable bitswapping on your modem if it's not already. It helps prevent disconnects/reconnects (resync) when interference occurs since your signal is marginal

Last edited by trent (July 2 2014)

#95 July 2 2014

kfc

gamer4life wrote:
kfc wrote:

Congrats man

thanks . This shows that the customer care arent reliable regarding technical stuff. So how much can we trust what they are telling us regarding the FUP?

#96 July 2 2014

kfc

trent wrote:

Congrats! You really want your SNR to stay above 10db to leave some room for normal fluctuation due to temperature changes and unavoidable interference.

Edit: Enable bitswapping on your modem if it's not already. It helps prevent disconnects/reconnects (resync) when interference occurs since your signal is marginal

Thanks  SN stayed at 8 although speed doubled!

#97 July 2 2014

trent

kfc wrote:
trent wrote:

Thanks  SN stayed at 8 although speed doubled!

That's great! Although really 1 or 2 mbps isn't really using that much of ADSL2+ potential (24mbps) to start with
90% of the bandwidth is still available for error correction.

But do enable bitswap if it's not already.

Last edited by trent (July 2 2014)

#98 July 2 2014

gamer4life

kfc wrote:
gamer4life wrote:
kfc wrote:

Congrats man

thanks . This shows that the customer care arent reliable regarding technical stuff. So how much can we trust what they are telling us regarding the FUP?

From my experience it's only at daytime, because my speed is not above 1.3M today, but yesterday after 8pm it became 2M till today morning.
Btw how are you contacting them? I've been trying from yesterday and the line is always busy. I need to change my plan.

#99 July 2 2014

kfc

gamer4life wrote:
kfc wrote:
gamer4life wrote:

Congrats man

From my experience it's only at daytime, because my speed is not above 1.3M today, but yesterday after 8pm it became 2M till today morning.
Btw how are you contacting them? I've been trying from yesterday and the line is always busy. I need to change my plan.

1282 or 04 727733

#100 July 2 2014

gamer4life

I tried them always busy...

Edit: They finally answered, he told me that IDM didn't start with the upgrade yet, only quota was added, that's why I'm downloading at 2M speed
As for the FUP, it applies at daytime not between 11-7, he told me 11-7 is totally unlimited. He doesn't know the average of GBs that shouldn't be exceeded. And he also mentioned that if I was FUP'd the speed will affect the whole day, even at night.

Last edited by gamer4life (July 2 2014)

Board footer