LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 15 2014

gamer4life

Feedback for IDM

I just noticed recently that IDM introduced the Fair Usage Policy to its internet. Can I please know if anyone is encountering any speed reduction after the FUP, and the limit that I should not exceed while downloading at night? It seems they are very serious about it if you read the policy.

#2 June 16 2014

wollyka

Re: Feedback for IDM

It is not new, they just updated the policy on June 6
FUP was always implemented after 11 pm

#3 June 17 2014

gamer4life

Are you sure? Because it's the first time I find the FUP under the DSL prices, and I'm an IDM subscriber since 2009 and I never noticed any speed reduction although I always download torrents.

#4 June 18 2014

wollyka

Yes, all ISP except Ogero have FUP. However, i noticed that IDM's one was a bit less restricted than let's say Cyberia

#5 June 18 2014

geekevo

Well Cyberia isn't too bad they give you 10KB for 3 hours then after 2-3 am the speed is normal. And you can leave the FUP group in 3 days. Cyberia allow  2-2.5GB per 3 night as far as I've measured.

#6 June 19 2014

Johnaudi

geekevo wrote:

Well Cyberia isn't too bad they give you 10KB for 3 hours then after 2-3 am the speed is normal. And you can leave the FUP group in 3 days. Cyberia allow  2-2.5GB per 3 night as far as I've measured.

I've downloaded 6GB a few days ago between 11pm-7am and my speed is still normal?

#7 June 19 2014

geekevo

Well these number are for the 1mbps 10gb package. And the fup is applied in 3 day cycles so if you download on the first day of the cycle you won't get fuped until 2 days have passed.

#8 June 19 2014

ali.ba

I've downloaded about 10GB in the past few days, my friend can see how much he downloaded at night from the Account Management (but I can't), he told me that last month only he downloaded 50GB at night (11PM-7AM), yet nothing happened.

#9 June 26 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

hey guys i'm with ogero and i want to transfer to idm can you post the speedtests on paris orange server? thanks.
here are mine:3587732834.png

Last edited by Ahmad Toutounji (June 26 2014)

#10 June 26 2014

wollyka

3588299175.png

@12 AM , ping during the day is lower

Last edited by wollyka (June 26 2014)

#11 June 27 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

Wow you are subscribed to 4mbps and you get only 3mb?

#12 June 27 2014

kfc

I want to ask something . i am with IDM (1 Mbps) and i noticed the following:
- if i download using internet download manager, the download speed is ALWAYS constant at around 100kb/s even in peak times.
- if i download without using internet download manager, the download speed can drop to 40-50 kb/s in peak times.

what is the explanation for that? what does internet download manager do to keep my download speed constant in peak time? i actually never worry about download speed in peak time as i always use internet download manager.

Last edited by kfc (June 27 2014)

#13 June 27 2014

amkahal

kfc wrote:

- if i download using internet download manager, the download speed is ALWAYS constant at around 100kb/s even in peak times.
- if i download without using internet download manager, the download speed can drop to 40-50 kb/s in peak times.

what is the explanation for that? what does internet download manager do to keep my download speed constant in peak time? i actually never worry about download speed in peak time as i always use internet download manager.

You cannot rely on Internet download manager, it downloads file by making multiple connections to the server so the speed increases a bit and not by 40 or 50 KBps, so i think it's giving you a false number.

the best way to detect your speed is to stop all your internet traffic and do a test on www.testmy.net to bypass caching if exists.

Last edited by amkahal (June 27 2014)

#14 June 27 2014

kfc

amkahal wrote:
kfc wrote:

You cannot rely on Internet download manager, it downloads file by making multiple connections to the server so the speed increases a bit and not by 40 or 50 KBps, so i think it's giving you a false number.

the best way to detect your speed is to stop all your internet traffic and do a test on www.testmy.net to bypass caching if exists.

no buddy with internet download manager , I can download 2.8-3GB every single night (no exception) between 11 pm and 7 am (1 Mbps speed). so yes the difference is big. i love my internet download manager

Last edited by kfc (June 27 2014)

#15 June 27 2014

m_zeid

kfc wrote:
amkahal wrote:
kfc wrote:

no buddy with internet download manager , I can download 2.8-3GB every single night (no exception) between 11 pm and 7 am (1 Mbps speed). so yes the difference is big. i love my internet download manager

when saying "my internet download manager" can this mean in any way that you own a license? :)

#16 June 27 2014

kfc

m_zeid wrote:
kfc wrote:
amkahal wrote:

when saying "my internet download manager" can this mean in any way that you own a license? :)

i dont :)

#17 June 27 2014

wollyka

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

Wow you are subscribed to 4mbps and you get only 3mb?

Yes at night for http downloads
However, i can download easily using torrents at constant 400 KB/s (sometimes higher)
2zsv89h.jpg

Last edited by wollyka (June 27 2014)

#18 June 29 2014

kfc

I emailed IDM's technical support twice to ask them if my line can handle a 4 Mbps speed but they didn't bother to reply. What should i do?

#19 June 29 2014

wollyka

Call them

#20 June 29 2014

gamer4life

Yea call them. I called them last week and they told me that after 1st of july I should apply for the 4mb, and then they'll do a speed test in order to know if my line handles the 4mb or not.

#21 June 29 2014

silverfox

I had the same issue as the OP, so I calle IDM last week, and they told me about their Fair Use Policy, although they didn't explain the reason of the speed slowdown well and told me to call customer care for complaint, as the change was implemented without prior notice.

So when I was about to send them an email, I noticed that on their Terms and Conditions:
Service Modification
IDM reserves the right to modify or change its services' price content without prior notice according to the market requirements.

Now I rarely read Terms and Conditions, but for this seems pretty unfair for customers!

As for the Fair Use Policy this is how it works.

HOW DOES THE FAIR USE POLICY WORK?
IDM will be monitoring the network and tracking Internet bandwidth use (capacity and not content) for each subscriber account over time, and will be dynamically computing the average subscriber consumption per day and per month for all subscribers of the same account type.

If an account’s usage exceeds the limits IDM deems fair and reasonable for a residential broadband service during given periods, these limits being THREE TIMES the computed average subscriber consumption for the subscriber’s specific account type, IDM will apply daily and monthly speed limiting restrictions during these periods to the account in question, where daily limiting restrictions are reset every day and monthly limiting restrictions are reset at the end of the subscription’s billing cycle. If the usage for this account continues to be very high during these periods, IDM reserves the right to modify or stop the service (or any part thereof), either temporarily or permanently, without any prior notice.

Note that my consumption last was less 40GB only on a 1Mb unlimited plan!
I'm pretty pissed off about this new FUP, and probably will be changing to Sodetel soon.

Last edited by silverfox (June 29 2014)

#22 June 29 2014

gamer4life

Dude sodetel is worst trust me.
I've been downloading for about 3-4 days continuously. Every night I download for about 1-1.5gb and my speed didn't change. I know I'm not downloading that much, but the way they stated the FUP terms, like downloading a lot of songs or uploading videos as they mentioned, will make my 1gb per night seem an extreme over usage to them, and yet my speed didn't change.

All ISPs have FUP except ogero, but what differs is that some ISPs really crack the hell out of the customer when they apply it, and others really just apply it in a simple way, like till now I'm not finding any change in the quality or speed then last month or the month before.
If you find yourself unhappy and made your choice to leave idm, just go for ogero, they are the best.

#23 June 29 2014

silverfox

gamer4life Thanks for the advice, but I'll be calling Sodetel to check about their FUP, and see if any applies. And I'll be considering Ogero, I'll take a look at the feedback threads.
IDM is driving me crazy those couple of weeks, the internet speed get reduced to nearly 256Kbps! And sometimes Http to even less!
Today my monthly subscription was reset, and even though it's the first day, they reduced the speed to 256Kbps, like 5 hours ago. My consumption so far for the day is nearly 1.7 GB. Seriously who has an Unlimited plan and doesn't download on average around 1GB/day at least. Their FUP states clearly that it'll be applied if the user exceed 3 Times the average consumption.

I tried to call them no one is answering. I know they have usually a very comprehensive customer service but they're breaking ma balls man.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with IDM tech support, their great customer support makes you never want to leave seriously (so does the waiting period between the transition from an ISP to another) and I guess I'll be trying the 4Mbps 50GB plan next month and see how it goes.

Last edited by silverfox (June 29 2014)

#24 June 29 2014

gamer4life

It's really weird in your condition. Your facing something more than FUP because it's really not normal what happened after your monthly renewal.
Yes I think it's better if you change from unlimited to a normal plan, than decide whether you stay with idm or not.

#25 June 30 2014

wollyka

Anyone facing frequent disconnections today?

Board footer