LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 27 2014

Azachariou

print("Hello Lebgeeks")

Hello everybody my name is Andreas.
I'm a 2d/3d animator by formation but ive always been facinated by code. Learned vb when i was 13 but that was it.
Seriously looking to expand my skillset, hopefully making my way towards robotics and AI (as farfetched as my goal is... There's nothing like challenge)
I'm 22 and working out of jounieh, currently doing my masters in animation over at ALBA.
Glad to be among you

#2 January 27 2014

Azachariou

Re: print("Hello Lebgeeks")

Haha reading through the introductions i noticed how frequently the hello world and its derivatives are used

Last edited by Azachariou (January 27 2014)

#3 January 27 2014

rolf

VB does not qualify as code...!
(okay, I'm just kidding, but seriously, if you like coding, you can't possibly be satisfied with only VB)

PS: glad to have you among us.

Last edited by rolf (January 27 2014)

#4 January 27 2014

Azachariou

Thus the seriously looking to expand my skillset part.. Learning python now, i sometimes need it in animation.

#5 January 27 2014

rolf

As quick VB detox... try some JavaScript maybe (http://jsfiddle.net/)...
It may not sound as impressive a python, but it has some interesting features, like being able to pass functions around as variables, and creating them inline. You can do some degree of functional programming with it.
It has some counter-intuitive "features" too...

Last edited by rolf (January 27 2014)

#6 January 27 2014

Azachariou

Thanks! I'll check it out asap, been meaning to start java (for later use in unity mainly) :)

#7 January 28 2014

nosense

Azachariou wrote:

Thanks! I'll check it out asap, been meaning to start java (for later use in unity mainly) :)

Javascript is not Java

#8 January 29 2014

Azachariou

I know the difference between JS and java. I've been meaning to start java as a first language now and I specified why I would be using it to see if somebody had other ideas or recommendations...

#9 January 29 2014

rolf

Well, I can recommend you about NOT trying PHP, except if you want to build a small/medium dynamic website...
PHP is a very good scripting language. It is also a good example of how much libraries and good documentation can help you in getting your work done.
I use it all the time, and for a long time now, but I only recommend it if you are building a classic website and want to get things done... and also possibly for some system scripting tasks. I would pick it over BASH.

PERL can do wonders and is very fast when what you have to do is process and convert text data; the task it was originally designed for, before taking over web servers (and some of the Linux scripts), and then being replaced by PHP.

C is "portable assembly", I think that is a good description.

Personally I dislike the Java environment (all the stuff you have to install, the classes, the JRE...) but I do think that it's a very nice language to code in.

Erlang is an interesting language/platform. I looked into it for a time, but I keep being put off by the syntax, the somehow difficult to understand environment/classes/documentation and also how it's not much geared towards the front end. If you ever need to build something that can handle lots of concurrent access, needs to be fault-tolerant and doesn't have much UI code, such as a chat server, telephony software, or stuff like that, it is a good choice.

Disclaimer: I don't have lots of experience in these languages, except for PHP and JavaScript.

Last edited by rolf (January 29 2014)

#10 January 29 2014

Azachariou

noted, thanks

#11 January 29 2014

NuclearVision

Hello ! Hope you enjoy your journey

#12 January 29 2014

Joe

Azachariou wrote:

I specified why I would be using it to see if somebody had other ideas or recommendations...

Any language is good. Ideally, pick a language that your friend/neighbor/cousin knows, so he or she can help. Ultimately don't focus too much on language choice, that's largely secondary. Ultimately if you want to be a programmer, you'll have to be familiar with several languages.

Here are some things I would recommend you focus on instead:

• Understand how the web works. Even if you're never going to build a single website in your life, the web is kinda defining all the current modern practices in programming.

• Get better at math. I believe that math isn't necessary to be a great programmer but that a solid grasp of mathematics is a great advantage to have.

• Start using Unix. Preferably Linux. Even if you're going to spend all your programming life on Windows, a good understanding of Linux is a great plus. If you don't know where to start, ask.

• Try to solve some simple exercises. It'll give you a good idea of what's expected from you as a programmer.

Off topic
aliessayli2 wrote:

Wow, almost everything on this list is wrong. Apart from the fact that Java and JavaScript are indeed two different languages. Is there anything you can do right, Java?

Board footer