LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 4 2013

Joe

My PyConFR talk about OpenStack

Last week I gave a talk at PyCon FR. Here's the abstract I submitted:

Description

In this talk I want to present how the OpenStack project (one of the largest Open Source projects in Python) deals with QA, Peer Review and general quality control of the patch submissions. I will cover the tools, guidelines and best practice put in place to manage the complexity.

Abstract

OpenStack is a very large project with over 1.6 million lines of code, over 1000 active contributors and approximately 4000 commits per month. At least according to the latest stats from Ohloh.net. And this project is written (almost) completely in Python. This makes OpenStack one of the largest active open source projects written in this language.

In this presentation I will to talk about the challenges of large scale collaboration in Python projects and the solutions set up by the OpenStack community to address them. By studying the typical life cycle of a patch, I will present the tools involved in testing, peer review, continuous integration, as well as the tools enforcing community policies like style checking or maintaining compatibility across different Python versions.

The talk was filmed and the video has been published online. You can find it here.

Use this topic if you have feedback or comments on how to improve my presentation skills, or if you have questions about the topic I presented, feel free to ask them.

#2 November 4 2013

Link-

Re: My PyConFR talk about OpenStack

Good talk, thanks for sharing!

2 small things:
- I would rely less on assumptions regarding my audience.

- I would have stirred the talk towards maybe: "Lessons learned from managing 1000+ contributors to a OpenStack" this way the talk would also be appealing to enterprise architects/team leads who manage large development groups and can benefit from the models adopted by the open source community.

#3 November 5 2013

yasamoka

Awesome stuff, 4 minutes in and I'm still understanding what's going on!

#4 November 5 2013

Joe

Link- wrote:

- I would rely less on assumptions regarding my audience.

I knew I was speaking at Pycon FR and assumed (correctly so) that most of my audience knew a little about OpenStack and were interested in the project.

Link- wrote:

- I would have stirred the talk towards maybe: "Lessons learned from managing 1000+ contributors to a OpenStack" this way the talk would also be appealing to enterprise architects/team leads who manage large development groups and can benefit from the models adopted by the open source community.

This talk already exists. My talk is heavily inspired by it. Joe Gordon is part of the team that sets up all the infra I described. He recalls the history of the infrastructure giving insight on different problems you can encounter and the solutions that were designed to solve them. Be sure to check it out.

Board footer