LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 22 2006

waleed

new photos

was shooting all morning yesterday, got quite a few good photos,
check them on http://hazardous-chemical.deviantart.com and leave a comment if you can.

#2 April 22 2006

mahdoum

Re: new photos

You've got some really nice shots there ;), what camera were you using? and it seems you love black and white photography. Do you grayscale it in photoshop?

#3 April 22 2006

waleed

i borrow a Canon G5, don't have my own digital cam yet, i use an analog Canon AE-1 soemtimes too.
those were shot in B/W mode, slightly edited on photoshop.

black and white fits the style of the photos, gives them a certain feel i go for.
i'll add more, without the gasmask, soon, i'll keep you updated.

thanks

#4 April 22 2006

samer
Admin

nice photos deelaw ^^ keep up the good work.

#5 April 22 2006

rolf

They're really great, I like them
Nice model. Is it your girlfriend or something?

Last edited by rolf (April 22 2006)

#6 April 22 2006

rolf

Your gallery is really great man. I cant express how great your photos are

#7 April 22 2006

rolf

The one with the mask and the prison like delivers a message. Nice.

#8 April 23 2006

waleed

hehehe thanks alot guys,
she's an old very good friend, my first and only model,

your support really helps alot.

i was thinking of having an exhibition in a couple of months, after i have enough material for it (2-3 more sets), so i could sell some prints and get money to buy a semi pro cam, i'm sick of borrowing cams everytime i feel like shooting, plus the cam i'm using is an old Canon Powershot G5, good and all, but not good enough, i need to get myselg an 8megapixel cam for higher resolutions hence bigger prints.

#9 April 23 2006

rolf

Watch out for the 8mp out there some of them are worse then 5mp cameras because the image is bad quality.

#10 April 23 2006

waleed

rolf wrote:

Watch out for the 8mp out there some of them are worse then 5mp cameras because the image is bad quality.

hehe ofcourse man, i'm not getting a Mercury or something, it's either Canon 20D (if my budget reaches 2000$), if not i can get a Sony CyberShot DCS-R1 or something like that, i relaly liked that cam.

#11 April 23 2006

rolf

I would get a nikon d70 I like the color rendering of that camera.
It also has a better focusing performance than the 300d in the dark. I also heard it can take falls.
Another nice thing to do would be buying a camera and modifying it by removing the infrared filter in front of the ccd and then you can take IR photography. You can put an infrared filter on the flash you can take photos in total darkness with the flash but nobody will notice because the flash will effectively be turned in an infrared flash.
nice heh?
But it's tricky you have to put a trasparent filter at the place of the IR filter that you remove so the focus is correct, and of course the flash metering will be wrong and you risk damaging your dslr
You can still take normal photos by by putting an IR filter in front of the lens but you might not have exactly the same colors.
A nice thing to do if you're rich... Even better would be doing the same modification to a video camera so as to take videos in total darkness, neat huh? Oh but wait, you can already do that with some sony cameras, no :)?

Anyway if you buy a dslr you'll have sensitivity of 1600 iso (and 3200 on some models, but i think it's crappy), that's enought for most low light situations. Pair that with a 50mm (fixed) f2.0 lens (very cheap, max, $100) and you can take non-flash pictures in very lowly lit places keeping the "ambiance" on the photo.

Last edited by rolf (April 23 2006)

#12 April 23 2006

waleed

hehehe wwal3aneh ma3ak.
i've been reading about infrared photography, but there's noway i'm removing anything from a D SLR if i get one!

the Canon 20D is one of the best DSLRs out there and it's known for its effective megapixels,
and the Sony DSC-R1 isn't an SLR but it has one of the best censors ever, even better than the ones Sony sells to Canon and Nikon so they install them in their cams, plus a Carl Zeiss lens.

regardless of its disadvantages i liked the DSC R1 because it's very maleable and has an LCD which could be used to take unsusual angles similar the ones i like, which is very hard, sometimes impossible to do with an SLR where you are limited to looking into the viewfinder. this cam is usually used as a backup cam, but it satisfies my needs for now.

Board footer