LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 24 2013

Nabs

What is your Photoshop masking method?

Every now I then, I take a trick in Photoshop to the next level, making things more practical if you may. One thing that I haven't really developed is the masking skill. Say you have an image that you want to cut out and replace its background, what's your method? I know how to do the quick selection and refine edges, I know how to use the pen tool. But what's the most detail-oriented technique that gets you a close-to-perfect selection or cut?

#2 July 24 2013

DNA

Re: What is your Photoshop masking method?

ahh thats a good question i always asked myself the same question cause whatever i do it doesn't seem practical anyway i mainly use the quick mask and the magnetic lasso tool and i get near perfect selections after that i use the eraser with a smooth brush to adjust the cut

Last edited by DNA (July 24 2013)

#3 July 24 2013

Nabs

You can get details with those?

#4 July 26 2013

rolf

In the cases where a magic wand selections will not do it, I would do magnetic lass and/or "manual" lasso and then "Cut to layer", normally.

You can apply "feather" or "smooth" to the selection if you find the edges to be jagged.

Last edited by rolf (July 26 2013)

#5 January 26 2014

MChahwanN

I use the pen (I don't know the name though, it also allows you to create paths) when I am done I right click and press make selection and in my opinion that's the best way...

#6 January 26 2014

Nabs

@MChahwanN, can I see a sample please?

#7 January 28 2014

Azachariou

By far the most detailed and non destructive masking in Photoshop would be to use the quick selection and refine edge to get the larger volumes. Setting the output of the refine edge to a new layer with a mask and then manually painting on the mask to get the finer details.

If its a solid color background sometimes Select~>Color range can do the trick pretty neatly and extremely quickly too.

Last edited by Azachariou (January 28 2014)

Board footer