LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 16 2006

WizaRd

Want to buy 865GBF intel board or help is required

Hey guys,

Like 2-3 weeks ago a lightning hit my PC (through my cable) and i took it back to the pc shop where i bought it (akid ma eltello ze32a ) and they replaced the motherboard, vga, power supply... However, they did not really "replace" my intel 865GBF motherboard because they said it is not available anymore and they decided to put some junk shit MERCURY with a VIA rt8237r chipset...

I am experiencing a lot of problems with this new system. I am getting a lot of sudden lockups & reboots or BSOD that i cant even have the time to read what it says since the pc reboots so fast.
Some people told me that my memory (which wasnt replaced but seems to work fine imo) might be damaged too while some others tell me it is just software...
I formated my PC and installed a fresh Windows XP SP2 but the problem is still there. I sometimes get booted out of my games with "fatal error" and i had the IRDQL_thing_thing_thing  show up on BSOD on the first 2 lines quiet a few times.

my pc specs are:
intel p4 CPU 3.02Ghz
MERCURY Via rt8237r motherboard
2x PQI 512MB DDr-ram
StLabs GeForce FX 5500 256MB 8xAGP
WD HD 80gb

I am thinking that the problem might be an incompatibility between the VIA and the memory sticks but i am not sure.

I really do not have the money to upgrade to a 915intel board series and all the PCI and LGA stuff that has to follow so i am planning on buying a new or used and WORKING intel 865 or 845 series or just wait til someone tells me how to solve my problem.

I appreciate your help

#2 January 17 2006

rolf

Re: Want to buy 865GBF intel board or help is required

Flyingwizard wrote:

I am thinking that the problem might be an incompatibility between the VIA and the memory sticks but i am not sure.

THere is no such thing, but you may be running your ram at more then their specified speed or timings

Some part in your system is unreliable, it chould be any part of it, either one of the old parts or the board that he gave you.

Try going into the bios and slowing down memory and cpu/fsb speed, and increasing memory timings (if possible!). It may help you to pinpoint the problem Also try to run on one of the 2 dimms at the time. It smells like a ram or CPU problem to me.

If the problem does not seem to be from the ram or cpu (ya3neh slowing down timings/speeds does not help), then my bets are on the graphic card.

Try removing it and running on an onboard vga if there is one.

Remove network adapter, unplug CD or any other device that you do not need.

And BTW also try to install another version of the driver, you never know!

BTW the number you gave (via 8237) is that of a SATA chipset. I couldnt find any board of this name.

#3 January 17 2006

WizaRd

rolf's right.. the board name is Mercury P4VM800

#4 January 17 2006

rolf

Try to flash the bios to a newer version too.

So, in short:
It seems that this is possible to change FSB and ram speeeds on your board.
So this should be your first step.
First, check your drivers in control panel->system->hardware->device manager. Try to have the most up-to-date versions of every driver, and a correct driver for every device (that means no small yellow exclamation marks in the "device manager") Does the problem remain? If yes, disconnect any unnecessary device (CD, floppy, usb stick, etc...), and try again.
Still not working properly? Slow down the ram and cpu as much as you can. I know gaming will become terrible. If it solves your problem, then try to further pinpoint the source of the problem by slowing down one of the 2 and by using 1 ram dimm only. Also make sure the CPU is not overheating, and check CPU and ram voltages (you can find correct voltages on the net)
If it doesnt solve your problem, then flash the bios and try again. If it still doesn not work then put your eyes on the graphic adapter.

Sorry I'm repeating myself, but I though my last post was a little jumbled.

errr... good luck. It's not hard but expect to spend your day on it.

Last edited by rolf (January 17 2006)

#5 January 25 2006

wollyka

Download the latest VIA Hyperion 4in1 Driver (i think v 4.56 WHQL) ,sometimes they can help to get rid of BSOD...
Rotf has some good advices
it can be a heat problem also..

#6 February 15 2006

WizaRd

Hey guys,

Ive been trying every single "solution" and it has been quiet frustrating for me to see them all turn down and not fixing my issue.

The problem is getting worse, the crashes and BSODs are happening more often in games especially in WoW

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception
Program:    D:\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
Exception:    0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:0073BCF4

The instruction at "0x0073BCF4" referenced memory at "0xD962F4D6".
The memory could not be "written".

WoWBuild: 5086

error such as this one appear most of the time.

I noticed that when i take out my 5500 card and use the onboard vga card, problems dont happen, and i also noticed that while my 5500 is plugged in and i am using one mem stick (512ram that is) problems dont occur a lot.

The last crashes are referring to "dumping physical memory".

I dont know how to fix this, i tried to play around with BIOS, disabling all casheables on VGA, slowing it down to 4x, disabling fastwrite and shadowing.... all in vein.

Waleed mentioned he changed his PSU and it worked for him but he did not state what problem he was really facing.

Will that work ?

(i downloaded the lastest VIA / Nvidia drivers aswell)

plz keep the thoughts coming

#7 February 15 2006

rolf

I noticed that when i take out my 5500 card and use the onboard vga card, problems dont happen, and i also noticed that while my 5500 is plugged in and i am using one mem stick (512ram that is) problems dont occur a lot.

I think the problem is from your graphic card. Check if it's overheating.
It could also be the PSU not giving enough power...
Can you try to borrow a psu from someone? Or maybe buy a good one - more then 400W, it'll cost shi 15-20$.
Maybe you can also borrow a graphic card from someone?

#8 February 15 2006

WizaRd

good point rolf, tomorrow im trying the FX5200 from a friend of mine, I'll test it and see how it goes :)

#9 February 18 2006

WizaRd

Ok, i tested the FX 5200 card and it gave me the same errors.

I'll try with new RAM and see

#10 February 18 2006

karim soubra

i think the lightning fried the vga slot if you have built in graphic then use it if not you will have to buy a new mobo

#11 February 18 2006

rolf

karim soubra wrote:

i think the lightning fried the vga slot if you have built in graphic then use it if not you will have to buy a new mobo

This is a new mobo he\'s using, the lighning fried his old mobo.

Flyingwizard I am really sorry for what\'s happening to you :(
Good luck, now you have ruled out the vga, I think checking the ram is the next smart step.

maybe you could also download this software:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

It shows you the temperature of your cpu. This is to see if the cpu isn\'t overheating due to improper installation of the cooling system.

Last edited by rolf (February 18 2006)

#12 February 18 2006

karim soubra

sorry

#13 February 20 2006

WizaRd

Hey guys,

I tried today with 2brand new ELIXIR DDR Ram and the error was still there

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED-AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this STOP screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If the problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start-up options and then select safe mode.

Technical Information

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0XFFFFFFE8, 0X00000001, 0X804E1F48, 0X00000000)

Begining dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact you system administratorr or technical support group for further assistance."

some crap like this nd sometimes IRQL_ errors

i dont know whats left to test.

i have disabled all the memory cachings in BIOS and set all shadows to disabled but it still wont do the trick..

Guess its not RAM aswell..

what could it be then :( ?

#14 February 20 2006

WizaRd

INtresting program you linked rolf..

All tempretures are either BLUE or GREEN but Temp3 goes from 9C (blue) all the way to 63C(red) then 20... 37... 60C again... and so on..

whats TMP3 for ?

#15 February 20 2006

darkstar

Try this and see what happens:

Go to System properties ->advanced->Startup and Recovery -> Settings
Change Write Debugging information to (none)

#16 February 21 2006

rolf

Flyingwizard wrote:

INtresting program you linked rolf..

All tempretures are either BLUE or GREEN but Temp3 goes from 9C (blue) all the way to 63C(red) then 20... 37... 60C again... and so on..

whats TMP3 for ?

No idea, you'll have to test it.
The way I find it out is stop the CPU fan ans see what goes up

Anyway 63 is okay for a CPU
What I wanted you to do is run an intensive game for some time and then see how high the CPU temp is
If it's in the 80ies - 90ies then you may have an overheating problem

#17 March 5 2006

WizaRd

Guess what !?

It's fixed !!

All i needed to do was uninstall Norton Antivirus and ... POOF ! problems gone.

Im working with the AVG antivirus now. it is great considering it is free and my system is stable once again!

Anyway , I am thinking of selling it to get an AMD, i have always wanted an AMD...

so check the details on the new thread im gonna make :)

#18 March 5 2006

rolf

Mabrouk, sorry for leading you on the wrong path... I though it's not software since you said you reinstalled windows. Happy for you anyway :)

#19 March 5 2006

rolf

You're selling it? Why do I have the impression that the problem has not been fixed?

#20 March 5 2006

darkstar

I was about to ask the same question ^^

#21 March 5 2006

WizaRd

rolf wrote:

You're selling it? Why do I have the impression that the problem has not been fixed?

It's not like the buyer can't come and test it for as long as he wants before he takes it.

If any of you need to see it, he is welcome anytime,

just send me a PM and a phone # and ill make sure to contact you so you can come and try it if you are intrested.

#22 March 5 2006

rolf

OK thanks

Board footer