LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 10 2006

Vector

Design Problems in Lebanon

Hi guys,

I just wanted to start a list of problems that face a Lebanese web designer.  These peoblems are not design problems per se, they are problems resulting from the relationship between lacking governmental services and design integration that is necessary to certain websites.  I will be posting some cases of design problems, and maybe you can add some, in the hope that this could serve one day to making governmental services more oriented towards the services market.

Case 1: Let us suppose you want to create a search engine that searches the Lebanese Cities and towns for a specific item, let's say an apartment for example. This search engine must contain all the names of the towns per mohafaza and kazaa. Correct?  You also have to include a quicker searchable option by postal code, since all Lebanese towns should have (presumably) postal codes.  Well, this is a service that you cannot find in Lebanon yet.  Liban Post, which is supposed to be the Lebanese Postal Company, does not have such a list at all, and neither does the government.  Where do you get something like this from? A list of postal codes per town,and the immediate postal codes surronding that specific code to expand the search to nearby towns?

Case 2: Let us suppose you want to create a business directory for services in Lebanon.  This list should be provided by the government, because the government must have a database with every registered business with contact information in Lebanon, sortable by name, type of business or area.  Again, nowhere to be found.

I will be posting more later on.  I have to go for now.

Vector

#2 February 10 2006

karim soubra

Re: Design Problems in Lebanon

i think you could have the postal code from libanpost i got mine over the phone i think they have it maped out at least for beirut
as for the the database i don't know if it is available in digital format but i usually use thr yellow pages i got when i paid my telphone bill last year ithink i am going pick up the 06 as soon as they appear
good luck hope i helped

#3 February 11 2006

mahdoum

You do have  point, I know for a fact that AUB is now doing some research where it's getting a list of all possible companys that contribute to the arts (from media, to paintings everything artistic) and seeing how they are contributing to lebanon.

#4 February 12 2006

zis

I am actually facing those exact problems now. I am building a directory of lebanese restaurants, pubs and night clubs. I am still trying to figure out how to categorise the geographic location of venues for them to be found easily. The kada2, mohafaza, city.. division is useless. most of the restaurants are in beirut. And the smallest division for beirut is... beirut. So i had to divid it my way.. another problem i will be facing soon is finding venues to list.. i am currently contacting the syndicate of restaurants, hotels...

For the postal codes, when LibanPost was still managed by Canada Post, they started mapping regions and assigning postal codes, they planned to have a door to door mail delivery instead of the current obsolete P.O.Box system. Dunno why they never completed it after Canada Post Left.

#5 February 13 2006

mezin

my brother was doing research at AUB and he was given a program called Kompas had every company in lebanon listed by mohafaza and many details

Board footer